Quality of 1:43 BBR Models | FerrariChat

Quality of 1:43 BBR Models

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by minikub, Jan 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. minikub

minikub Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    Happy New Year, Everyone!

I'm a new collector and have just purchased a lot of old and new BBR 1:43 models recently.

Honestly I'm not sure if I'm too perfectionistic or I have OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder), cuz I could spot so many flaws on every single model, especially the older ones (with over 10 years of history).

The most obvious flaws I found are:
    - glue around the headlights
    - non-smooth around the edges of headlights (plastic film was not cut nicely)
    - tiny dust stuck on the inner side of the windows
    - micro hairline scratches as seen under strong spotlight
    - cloudy windows (plastic film) as seen under strong spotlight
    - Ferrari logos and prancing horse are not aligned straight to the middle line of the car
    - the wheels are not aligned perfectly and some are slightly bent at small angle
    ...and a lot more...

Just wonder if all of you feel or find the same in yours or simply I'm bad luck and am getting the worse from the pool? But honestly, even with all those flaws, I think BBR is still the best among its major conpetitors (mass production vendor such as MR/Looksmart, Eidolon/Makeup, Technomodel...etc.)

Please feel free to share how you feel about your models. Thank you

2. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    older bbr's are not perfect, they are handmade! But they have character and a great feel to them.. At the time they were made it was the best available! (and I know, I am collecting bbr's since 1986.. Be selective when you buy them and have tube of glue ready (bison kit)

If you want them mint.... buy at the right sellers, ebay is allways a risk if you want a perfect model.. MiniWerks Online: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World Home page ::RGM Modelcars autobarnmodels.com Calsito.eu or at BBR Models

Make Ups are perfect! but age not to well.. they are to delicate.. windows and trim are loosening over time, and the resin shrinks in some of the ones I had causing windows and trim to pop up... I sold them all...

If you want perfect, only buy the new ones.. and yes they are more expensive..

I have a lot of older bbr's and at the moment I only buy them new (selectively) or have kits built by topbuilders.. perfection comes at a price... as is with everything ;-)

3. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

+1!! I completely agree.

4. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Perfection is rarely achieved with hand built models. Humans build them😉 So you cannot be too anal about them. Display them under incandescent light. I check my paint under fluorescent light because it will show most imperfections that other light will not. If it passes that test it will look great under normal display lighting.

Most BBR Models use a contact cement that breaks down with age, as do their decals and paint. A controlled environment is mandatory and direct light is a big no no.

Relax and enjoy.

davew likes this.
  5. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You should also consider builders that specialize in curbside 1/43 models. Garage43 is very consistent as are some in Europe. If you can narrow down your preferences and are willing to wait you will find this is a better alternative to the mainstream companies that use a factory approach .

6. minikub

minikub Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    Thanks everyone's advice! I guess I have very very high standard and pay too much attention to very minor details.

I tried to check other's collections, even from the top builders around the world but also spotted many flaws. Actually, other top builders usually have more flaws in their works as they are truly handmade and some event made from scratch.

As for BBR, some models are great, almost perfect but there must be some flaws either on the headlight/windscreen or the body. But still I think it is the best out in the market in terms of Quality VS Price.

Usually before I buy a model, I will ask the seller to send very hi-res images to ensure it is okay. I guess I just need to get used to accept the fact that it can't be perfect anyway. :)

7. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

I wonder who are the "top builders" works you have personally seen? There are many real top builders whose work always far surpasses ANY of the BBR or other factory built models.

I too am a collector (and pro-builder) with extremely high standards - some would say anal, etc. I have found that there are many pro-builts as well as factory built models that I am very happy with and have no complaints about.

8. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    This level of scrutiny will only cause you anxiety. Perhaps you should consider becoming a concours judge? Only joking...but seriously, chill a little and enjoy the subject matter. If you have seen some of the historic Ferraris in their original state you would be very disappointed.

9. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    DITO...

10. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Every longtime collector in search for the best will eventually go for the topbuilders.
    They have the talent to make a box of parts into a piece of art.
    Its a talent and takes years of practice and patience, most of us will never reach. (me incl..)
    You are Lucky 2 of them allready joined this discussion.

Did you know building a 1:43 bbr takes +/- 5 hours building time from mixing resin to packing?

If you look for perfection, be selective. I used to buy every new classic Ferrari by bbr.
    Now I only buy 2-4 models a year, but only the best!

11. minikub

minikub Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    totally agree with all of you.

That's why all the BBR models I bought are carefully selected. Usually the very limited ones and made in Italy ones are better. It doesn't mean the made in China are not good. They are still exceptional products! No matter accuracy, craftmanship and durability, BBR is still much better than many other mass produced built kits, such as MR/LookSmart, Makeup/Eidolon, AMR...etc.

Afterall, it is only a hobby for fun. I should let it go for some very minor flaws that could only be spotted by magnifier.

Cheers everyone!

12. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
    If you can't see the flaw just looking at the model without a flashlight or magnified why the heck would you let it bother you?

I personally find BBR superb. I've never seen any of the top builders models in person, however I can tell from photos alone from say miniwerks and ferrchat here that they are in another league. I love scanning build threads.

When an artist spends so so many hours exacting tiny tiny details that you didn't even know existed at a certain point you begin to wonder if these people could actually build a real 250 Ferrari from scratch. It's hard to fathom their amazing skill on such a small exacting level honestly and I'd love to see them in person and watch some assembly. That being said I'm not there yet in to be able to collect on this level.

I think it really depends on your situation. I recently saw a regular bbr 1/43 go near 600 dollars when all said and done recently and my reaction was that buyer simply doesn't have enough taste or knowledge to step up to a a real hand built and is paying over double what this thing is worth. Maybe it was a big shebang and to be fair custom builds seem to run quite a bit more. I know if I had the ability to do that I'd go ahead and commission a custom build All in all if you can do it go for the custom builders through here and miniwerks you can basically get in touch with the best in the world as I see it.

13. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    If you colllect older bbr, and there is ..... lets say a yellow 250 sperimentale or a 250 Europa cabriolet, a darkblue drogo GTO mint in box.... you might go a bit crazy if its the one you are missing..

I can sell my 1:24 288GTO for a $1000 or more if I want... but I don"t :)

Hans

14. jj2728

jj2728 Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Ontario
    Of the best hand builds that stand out in my collection are the MAKE UP Daytona winning Ferrari 330P4s. Superb and flawless in every aspect, perhaps too flawless as anyone who knows, race cars from the 60s were far from flawless in their finish. Over sprayed paint, far from shiny in their appearance and in a word they at times were 'tatty' in their overall appearance. And as a builder of 1/43rds from that and the early 1970s period, that is the finish that I try to achieve. I have one BBR, the Alonso Ferrari ltd. edition 1950/2010 Monza winning Ferrari and it is superb. TAMEO and MARSH have some excellent pieces too.

15. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    How would you guys describe the work of GT1 Factory?

16. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Pierre does nice work.

17. jj2728

jj2728 Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Ontario
    I forgot to mention that NEW ACE from Hong Kong does some stellar work. I have their version of the TAMEO 2001 Monza black nose Ferrari.

18. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    GT factory is nice!! Pierre is very good,

JF Alberca is another very good French builder.
    Jean-François ALBERCA: Ferrari 315 S , 1st Mille Miglia 1957 !

Jacques Brauer is in a class of his own.. Can't compare his work with other builders

The Make Up 330P4 by Make Up has a odd shaped nose ;-) and is to perfect indeed..