Maserati Khamsin | Page 243 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. silvsurf

silvsurf Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Herbert Putz
    Interesting is the remark in the Spanish version of the website Venta de Coches clásicos de colección desde 1968 | Francisco Pueche VEHICULO NO DISPONIBLE = CAR NOT AVAILABLE?

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6052 Nembo1777, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good morning all,

It is AM120US1100 discussed here before, its then new owner showed it to me in Barcelona in August 2013 and I posted photos at the time, it had been with the same man in that city for many years, then the one who showed it to me was forced to sell by his wife (I would have divorced instead;-)) and then it got the bumpers done in Madrid.

And yes the factory did sell 3 or 4 US cars in Europe such as 1168 and by law they had to sell them with km speedos. This car is one of them, 1134 is another.

It also got the rear springs and shocks sorted as it used to sit on its backside like an old dog, see photo copyright Autogespot:)

Best regards,

Marc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. silvsurf

silvsurf Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Herbert Putz
    It's all about aerodynamics :):).

Herbert

4. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello to all
    there is a car for sale by J&F Classics,
    apparently a father and son Company operating from Milan and Paris,
    the dark colored Khamsin is said to be a green 1978 model with 28 000 km.
    Judging from the numberplates seen on a small Video it has French plates, so
    probably sitting in Paris.

Selling (or rather advertised) for a whopping 330 000 EUR.
    This must be the highest price for a Khamsin I have yet seen.

Does anyone know more about it ? Note the wiper position.
    The ones in France with verde scuro don't seem to match.

here is the advert:

Maserati Sonstige khamsin Gebrauchtwagen, Benzin, ? 330.000,- in Milan

5. silvsurf

silvsurf Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Herbert Putz
    Hi Roger, hi all,

interesting: on autoscout24 the car is green with beige interior, on their website (hard to find!) it is blue with black interior

J&F motors

best regards

Herbert

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6056 Nembo1777, Jan 27, 2016
    It is AM120US1286.

The car is in a non original jade black color. Black with a tint of green in it.

The one shown in their little website is not the actual car, it is a shot they grabbed online (from a studio shoot of AM120160 based in the Zurich area, a car which has nothing to do with them).

In April 2013 I inspected the car for the current owner -a Frenchman formerly working in Moscow, now based in Milan Italy-. The car was in a small town in Ohio and I went there for him since I was visiting the US anyway.
    The Ohio garage representing the car announced one price. Then as I landed in Ohio for the inspection he suddenly stated he had just bought the car from his client for whom he had been representing the car and the price was higher...you just don't do such things.

The car had a weakish engine but was otherwise ok mechanically. Cosmetically superb paint job and very pretty though non original interior.I was not happy about this price rise announced on the day of the inspection, the client was not happy...the client gave me a lot of grief, was very aggressive and rude then suddenly the car was sold. The Ohio garage said it sold to NW Canada.

I had been willing to lower my commission but the real problem was someone in California wanting a huge sum just for supplying a contact and this person would not budge an inch.

Then a year or two later photos of the car appear in Milan, on French plates. The garage and the Frenchman did the transaction behind my back.
    They are not car dealers but trying to cash in on the market and should know that mint condition is spelled without an s. Asking prices are absolutely meaningless, they do not reflect the reality of a sale.

That very unpleasant experience is why I now only deal with people I like and trust.

I will make no further comment on this.

Best regards,

Marc

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6057 Nembo1777, Jan 27, 2016
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6058 Nembo1777, Jan 27, 2016
    On a much brighter note here are shots of AM120399 in the UK where it has just emerged after many years in very poor storage conditions.

This car had been tucked away and almost nothing was known about it, throughout its life.

Gold, tan 5 speed, I love it and would buy it myself if I could, even worth moving to warm beer country!:) just teasing our British friends;-).

Lots and lots of work, absolute full restoration, but color combinations don't get better than that (in my 2 cent view).

The owner or rather the man who has inherited ownership of the car (literally, after the owner passed away) is bright, has other classics and has the right understanding of the situation, understands he would not be able or want to invest what it would take to do it properly so is likely to sell and is waiting for news from the Retromobile sales to have a comparative idea of what this one should be worth, restoration cost estimate deducted.

To be clear this is NOT a veiled advertisement, I never have and never will do such a thing, I already have two acquaintances who want it with priority to one who bought a Bora from me in October and would restore it just right so consider it taken.

As mentioned in post 6049 it is wonderful to see cars emerge like this specially without US bumpers (sorry Michael;-) and in gorgeous very rare colors.

I will let you know how this evolves.

Best regards,

Marc

9. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Beautiful car, even in this condition.

By the way, I never noticed this before: RHD cars have three hood vents instead of two.

10. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    What a super find! Glad to hear it seems to be headed for a caring custodian.
    Amazing to think that only 10 years ago it would have had a good chance of being scrapped
    )))-:

Regards to all.

Mark.

11. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    AMLC,

Indeed they do. The HVAC-intake is sitting on the opposite side from that on a LHD car, snd instead of making the bonnet mirrored, they opted to hack another hole, and do so with a design that is nowhere else repeated in the car Missed opportunity if you ask me.

I see that this car also has the cubby-lid in fabric instead of leather, like mine. I am still in two minds about this...

Best,

Jack.

12. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Repeating a question I asked a couple of years back:

I need material for my dark brown dash-top: All colours appear to be available except the dark brown. Last source I tried was Campana, a friend in Modena went there for me, but unfortunately no positive result.
    I would much like to keep this original, instead of ripping all the brown out and replacing with black, apart from that being a big job.
    I am flying to Holland for a fourtnight tonight, will go see HVL, but does anyone have other suggestions?

Any leads much appreciated!

Best,

Jack.

13. Otto Paulsen

Otto Paulsen Karting

Dec 9, 2009
    Europe
    Jack, I need a few square meters of the same stuff! In brown. I have a hard time in finding it aswell. Do you think this could be reproduced? I would certainly be very interested!
    Best O

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all!

Well, just in time for Retromobile I am happy to announce that the Khamsin Registry in its new version is now online.

There is new content and there will be a lot more and yes the intent is to have all cars about which I have data online but that will take some time.

In the meantime enjoy it, there is a whole page of new links too!

Maserati Khamsin Registry

Best regards,

Marc

MKR

15. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Looks great! I wonder what it will look like when all cars are added: will visitors be able to browse through a list of all Khamsins with photos?

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello from Paris AMLC,

Yes indeed, that is the idea. It would be in a section of the website where I can add cars myself little by little so as not to go overboard with webmaster bills.

Saw my ex K at the Artcurial display last night and she looked wonderful with bare metal respray and mostly redone interior, like seeing an older ex girlfriend who has had Beverly Hills cosmetic surgery done properly:)

Its shade of gold is however a bit lighter than before but that is excusable in my humble opinion because many found oro kelso a bit dark.

It sits on the display floor 3 meters from the other K and 5 meters from the mega star of the 3 Paris Retromobile auctions, the Ferrari factory team 1957 335S of the late Pierre Bardinon. I don't think my ex car will make €30M like that one but it should do well. I will state here again that I have no involvement in the sale of these two Khamsins or any car at Retromobile for that matter.

And no I will not attend the auction, to see it being sold would be like seeing my daughter sold off argh:)

Heading to RM and Bonhams displays this late afternoon.

More with photos late tonight or early morning, lots of Masers in Retromobile and the three auctions!

Best regards,

Marc

17. Pinballking2

Pinballking2 Rookie

Feb 7, 2015
    Bronxville, NY
    Full Name:
    Andrew ORourke
    Marc
    Any info on today's auctions or is ther a place we could see to live on the Internet

18. ciscoauto

ciscoauto Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Germany, Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Francois
    #6068 ciscoauto, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6069 Nembo1777, Feb 5, 2016
    Well that is a good number not bad considering that the market is cooling (see price of the red Khamsin) and not crazy either, in the middle of the last three high sales: May 2014 Bonhams, Spa €178K (AM120234) , February 2015 Bonhams Paris €195000 (AM120US1142) and June 2015 Artcurial Paris €274000 (will post chassis number of that one later am in a hurry) and it certainly did much better than the Christie's Pebble Beach auction 2007 in which I had very reluctantly entered it: no one bid at all. Photo below.

It is a very symmetrical number with what I paid when I bought it in Milwaukee Wisconsin in April of 2004: US$21000!

Right I have a train to catch best regards,

Marc

20. ciscoauto

ciscoauto Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Germany, Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Congratulations :) , very nice colour for a Khamsin imho.

21. Pinballking2

Pinballking2 Rookie

Feb 7, 2015
    Bronxville, NY
    Full Name:
    Andrew ORourke
    Where can or should we look if we are renewing the flexible hoses that connect the fuel tanks?
    Obviously trying to find something local...
    Lost in NY

22. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I believe on the Khamsin they are 8mm which is the same as 5/16. That's what I substitute on my Bora. Now if you want the the original style covered with cloth braid you'll have to dig a bit more. It's available.

Your can get vanilla style 5/16 at Pepboys, Autozone, ... etc.

23. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ouch ... :( You deserved better Marc. Such is life ...

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6074 Nembo1777, Feb 6, 2016
    Hi Bob,

Many thanks, yes not very happy that day (in Geneva Switzerland at 6am listening to the auction live in Pebble Beach with a friend there on the phone) but I sold it very well 2 months later thanks to the very kind and major help of Doug Magnon -who trucked it down from Pebble Beach to Riverside with his MC12- to a very nice couple from Laguna Beach, John and Tiffany.

Here is 1242 sitting pretty with Doug's Maser collection (the largest in the US) and the moment when he delivered the car to John.

Tiffany actually drove it more than him, she really enjoyed it even while pregnant, her baby did a salto in her belly when she accelerated once:)

In April they called me, said they were moving and asked me to find a buyer which is when it went to Holland.

So thank again Doug Magnon who passed away a year ago now...rest in peace, we miss you buddy.

MS

25. silvsurf

silvsurf Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Herbert Putz
    Dear Marc,

congratulations to the new site! Looking forward to the registered cars :).

best

Herbert