starting research | FerrariChat

starting research

Discussion in '360/430' started by jjk2, Feb 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjk2

jjk2 Rookie

Oct 22, 2007
    hey guys so haven't posted here since 2012 but been on this site since 07.

lately been curious about the F430 Spider in particular.

I've read the threads and from the sound of it, it seems stable and reliable.

I'm thinking about a gated manual, would these be more valuable or less because they've probably been abused a lot?

Concerned about the electric problems with the F1 paddles, hence the gated manual and plus videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw_fllzXMJk is why I really want the manual, it's so much more involved with the driving experience ( which in my view is what makes a sports car uniquem yes the paddle shift double clutch in 458 is clearly superior but I also find it a bit souless and too playstationy).

Anyways I plan on purchasing through ebay.com....and basically importing it to Canada...

Another concern is Ferrari Maserati Vancouver I heard charge arm and a leg for clutch changes and other minor repairs, and just found negative reviews, can anyone confirm?

2. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well... There's a huge debate on gated or F-1. It is a personal preference. If you like manual, go for it. I think the value for gated shifter is going up so if you are lookingn for one, it is your choice but harder to find. F-1 on 430 is not bad at all... I had terrible earlier experience on Maseratis but it is very reliable if you take care of it. Replacing clutch is something that Ferrari owners all have to deal with. (Both gated and F-1) 430's are bullet proof solid unless it is an old car and a garage queen. Then you could have unexpected issues. I would rather purchase a Ferrari with at least 10K miles so that the car had gone through the initial phase.

If you can, find a vehicle you like, ask F-Chat members for local mechanics work on supercars who can perform PPI (Few hundred dollars) to make sure things are what the dealer says.

You could look for a local mechanic that deals with Ferraris. They could be more sourceful if you like to avoid Ferrari Dealers.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I highly recommend joining the Ferrari Club of America and networking with members in the lower mainland (you might also try the "Canada" section of the forum here as well). They can assist you with finding a suitable resource for repairs and maintenance. I have not heard of anything negative about Ferrari of Vancouver. If all else fails, it is a nice drive coming down to visit Ferrari of Seattle. ;)

Be sure to attend the Italian Car Show in North Van on Father's Day...you can definitely make some friends there.

4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    If you have been out of the Ferrari loop perhaps it has skipped you radar that the manual (3 pedals) 430s are approaching $200k (some asking notably more) while the F1s are probably in the $120k range +/-. Not sure if that will be a factor in your decision, but figured you may not be aware. But note that the manual 360s are still fairly reasonably priced, but also going up, it seems. Happy hunting!

5. Cscat87

Cscat87 Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If the manual cars are in your budget, certainly get one. The F1 system is junk. Its slow, clunky, and expensive to fix. I thought it wasn't bad until I got my Porsche Turbo S with PDK, which is amazing. The double clutch transmissions are the future, and you can get a 458 Italia for 150-160k these days, no brainer. In the process of selling my F430 just because I can't stand the ancient trans anymore.

6. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Might want to leave this out of your 'For Sale' add. ;)

7. Cscat87

Cscat87 Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Nothing wrong with mine. I've had numerous 360s and 430s, and was just giving my opinion of the F1 system in general from my experience. The whole system in mine is 6 months old (pump, actuators, etc), which is why I said they are expensive to fix! If you think my opinion of it is because something is 'wrong' with my particular one, then you haven't driven a double-clutch car. Trying to help the gentleman who posted this question make a good decision. There will be no 'for sale' ad, as I always trade-in to my local dealer.

8. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    LOL this is a total point of view and I highly disagree

In fact I know several 458 owners as well as other double clutch owners who hate them as the feel of the car is gone. The single clutch F1 still makes you feel like you are driving an exotic, the snap of the clutch as well as your neck on every hard shift is 100% addictive and you can never get enough.

F430 F1 is very reliable and a great car on the track or for a daily driver.

9. Cscat87

Cscat87 Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Chris

I know what you're saying, and I don't disagree. The single clutch systems are certainly more raw and "exotic". You get that "bang" when you shift, and slipping sound when taking off. Exotics are supposed to be just that; not perfect, quirky, etc. In that sense, you're right. The double-clutch trans cars are just so "good", that it can take away from the exotic and quirky nature of the Ferrari experience. Honestly though, I put A LOT of miles on my cars, on the street and track, and you start to appreciate the usability, speed, and smoothness of the modern transmissions. After driving a PDK or other dct-type trans, I'll get into my 430 or Gallardo and feel like I stepped back into the stone age. In Ferrari's defense, even though both of mine are 06's, the Lambo feels 100 years older. I test drove a Huracan, and while it really didn't feel a ton quicker, the new transmission is incredible. Moral of the story: Don't fight progress! The double-clutch trans is better in every way, especially if you are going to truly use your car on a regular basis.

The 430 itself is a great car, and one of the best sounding of all time. I love the manual trans as well, so I can totally understand why they are fetching $200k+ these days. Now that's a true exotic!

10. Peter Costa del Sol

Nov 27, 2013
    Estepona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Do not think to much about the second hand price when or if you are going to sell the Ferrari one day in the future. Enjoy the car. You cannot sit down in the car everytime and think about resale value. It destroys the feeling and joy. You can use the paddels to drive the way you want. They work perfect. You cannot compare the 430 with 458 or Porsche Turbo etc. We are than talking about 100.000 USD more in cost. I have a 2006 without any problems. Just cab down and enjoy the sun.

11. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If you're really trying to help the OP why all the talk about Porsche's PDK? The F430's F1 "junk" transmission shifts way faster than any human with a pedal and lever. I personnally think it's a blast to drive. And yes, I've driven a new 991 with PDK, and it is very, very impressive. And I will have one...maybe today actually. But, the 911 will not be my goto for the fun blast in the canyons, that is for my F430 Spider. The 911 is an absolutely fantastic car, but it's no Ferrari.

12. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Agree to Kevin. I had 2 Porsches in my garage... Now I have 430 spider F-1. Not complaining a bit. I even had a Maserati Cambiocorsa F-1 and was terrified of taking it out as the car felt different every single day... 430's F-1 is fantastic although it costs money to maintain... That one I agree with Chris... I lived in Long Island (Roslyn) and 2 minutes away from the Porsche dealer... hahaha.

Both cars are great cars but we are Ferrari lovers. We could have both...

13. jjk2

jjk2 Rookie

Oct 22, 2007
    thank you for all your insights. I share the same sentiments that single clutch is what brings that raw driving thrill and largely I'm uncertain about the 458 because I find the 430 to be much more beautiful and the edges and clear lines of the 458 I have had a hard time swallowing. Not only that but everything is quickly becoming digitized along with the instrument panels like the Huracan which is a minus for me.

To me maintaining the immersion of feeling like you are part of the driving car process that can only come from an H-gated shifter

To me the emotional connection and experience is the essence of an exotic sports car and it's highly subjective. Having said that if a f430 manual is 200k+ then I guess it's too late...

I don't know what other car I might want maybe one of the post 08 gallardo spyder but I see lot of reliability issues....but who isn't right

14. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    There's no question that the F430 is a more "raw" driving experience all the way around. I have an '06 6MT F430 Spider and a '13 458 Spider. I usually drive the 458 in auto mode, so that the difference between the 458 and the manual-trans. F430 is even more obvious to me. Aside from that, just sitting at a red light in the F430, I can feel and hear more of a visceral output from the engine. I don't think that will ever be duplicated by a future Ferrari, whether due to the absence of a manual transmission, the dictates of ever-stricter governmental regulations, or both. Fred

15. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The LP Gallardos are bulletproof. I would be more concerned with a 430 then an LP car.

16. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    Well someone should tell Ferrari to go back to there Manual Transmission in F1 racing if there transmission is junk , the best thing that ever came was the F1 transmission I love it, it fun driving my Scuderia and my neck snapping on every shift :)

17. Cscat87

Cscat87 Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have a Gallardo as well, and the car is very reliable. Again though, get the manual, my biggest complaint is the E-gear. One good thing about the Lambo is that a lot of the parts are Audi, so repairs "can" be relatively inexpensive. I had to replace the AC Compressor last year, and the same part number is used in an Audi S4, but is a fraction of the cost of the same thing from the Lambo dealer, and its been working fantastic ever since. The Gallardo is also a bit tighter inside than a Ferrari. So if you're over 6 feet tall like me, the Ferrari will be more comfortable.