In search of the first owner | FerrariChat

In search of the first owner

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MvT, Feb 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #1 MvT, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know I am the 4th owner of my Mondial. Two Italian and a German owner. I know the license plate numbers and one of the plates is from Sicily, but this was not getting me far because of privacy policies. Now I Just received an emission test from the previous owner dating back from 1994, which he got with the 3.2 at the time.

The address of the "Autofficina Mechanica" is on the paper. I had little hope the workshop still existed.. and I was right. Good thing is that Italians do not move a lot. So here in this case where the workshop owner is still living there. The signs are still hanging of a once flourish place. I have the number, which is also on the sign so I think I will call and hope they can speak English. Again I have little hope they can.

The place where my Mondial was in Dec 1994:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Very cool. I wish I could find my original owner as well. But I hit road blocks every time. Let us know how it turns out.

3. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    In its day I bet that was a fancy shop. It would be cool if you get some pictures of your Fcar in front or by the building back in that day. And then some of it now in front of the building. Good stuff I love the story behind a classic.

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I found the original owner of my car. He is in his 80s now I believe but still listed on the roster of a law firm in LA. He was a big player in the S&L scandals of that time here in the U.S.

He responded to an email I sent to his work. He simply stated that he always like the look of the car. Beyond that he didn't respond. It still felt good even if I didn't get any real info out of him.

I have names of another prior owner or two but never paid much attention to them or tried to track them down.

My car may have only had 3 prior owners. Los Angeles, Denver Colorado and Jackson Mississippi and then me. Maybe I'll go through the records some day and reach out.

Good luck in your endeavor. :)

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I actually saw today in my service manuel the name and address of the first owner. I actually never saw it and merely checked on the service intervals that were done. I needed to read it twice before it sank in.

It seems my Mondial was bought by a very known person in Italy and Europe (Even in the US I think). Her husband is even more known. Yes, the first owner is a woman :) I am not going into detail, yet, Not sure if I will also as I respect privacy. I like to confirm some things first. That might take a while, but I hope for the best since their passion seems to be also Ferrari and own one now.

Let's see where this ends. :)

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  8. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I was very fortunate enough to contact and actually speak to the first owner of my car last year....it really filled in a lot of gaps and loose ends in paperwork....he actually was excited to hear about the car and that it was being taken care of as it should.......and yes, he regretted getting rid of it and wished he had it back...

9. TheDevil

TheDevil Karting

Jul 14, 2014
    PM sent.

10. Monriaali

Monriaali Rookie

Jul 2, 2015
    Ulvila Finland
    I looked from google what they tell about my Mondial's first owner, or people with same name.. Name is rather common, but later happenings in his life confirmed that I found right guy! Interresting story with sports, bright lights, success, money and problems,..

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good luck with your hunt, Tijn!

I got somewhat lucky on this front. The name of my car's original owner is written into the owners manual, along with a stamp from Lake Forest Motors, who sold my car originally. Other than the original owner's name & home address circa 1983, it also looks like he serviced the car regularly as suggested by the manual until he sold it to owner #2.

I think I'm the 6th owner of my car. Possibly the 7th! I know a bit about the previous 2 owners as well but it's a blank slate beyond that. I'd be curious to find out.

12. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    The first owner of my car was Janet Gretzky. I have some paper work for proof.

13. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    I've been in contact with what i believed was the second owner (and 1st Dutch owner) of my car. To my surprise this gentleman bought the car new but was registered first in Germany in name of his mother in law! I was very happy when he send me a copy of the original bill of sale!