Modifying 355 engines for extra bhp | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Modifying 355 engines for extra bhp

Discussion in '348/355' started by angelis, Mar 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I disagree, if I wanted low rpm torque I'd buy a vette. The hp is a gear shift away if you need it, so I see zero need for more low end torque. When I want to go fast, I wind it out, so that's where I want the power. Increasing it at low rpm is a waste. I don't know that I've ever floored it below 5000rpm, there's no point when you have a ton more power in a lower gear. Do you guys get in some weird driving situation where you all of a sudden need a ton of power but don't have any time to shift or something? Like a surprise drag race or something? It's not like the thing is slow even cruising in 6th,it picks up speed pretty quickly. Heck, mine picks up speed without me even trying, it's tough to keep it under 80 as you have to just barely crack the throttle. More torque would just make it more jumpy. No thanks.

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    +1...The car is geared pretty well to pick up speed. My 2009 Viper had 600 horsepower but in 6th gear it was slower to accelerate than my 355 is in the same gear.

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^^ Agreed. Drop some gears and keep the rpm above 6k :)

4. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I cruise at 3000-3500 RPM and the car feels at home between 3500-8500 :D

5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Totally get it, love a high strung engine except for one thing. I am in Los Angeles. 2 hours in heavy traffic winding it up to 8000rpm to position gets to be a hassle. Clear roads is another thing. A car with a linear powerband like a Tesla is most effective for quickness here.

OMG I said Tesla I think I will go puke now LOL :)

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    How do you deal with the heat? What is the longevity if you don't?

7. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    you use a watercooled center section and shielding/coatings to keep the heat where it belongs. It's not easy, but it's effective.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I can hardly wait to see your beast. I suspect you are going to prove an even larger gap between 348 and 355 potential than previously recorded. I hope to see you "on track" too.

9. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yeah, traffic sucks but at the same time you don't really need much power sitting in traffic, so as long as the engine has decent manners, +/- 20lbs ft of torque at low rpm won't make a lick of difference. Once the traffic clears, an extra 30hp up top will, though.

10. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    following this thread.....will be very interesting to see the progress

11. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Future home of the snail (I think), I wanted to possibly put it closer to the center of the engine bay, but I would have to cut the headers in order to make it fit, which I might still do.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I wholeheartedly agree. My car is a road car, with very occasional track use.

I want to see an increase in torque and response from 3000-6000. The car is not lacking in standard form above 6000rpm.
    To be honest I'd be embarrassed to routinely drive around in the city hitting 8500 in every gear.
    I'd feel like an idiot.

It's the very reason I just shelled out a ludicrous amount of money for a set of Tubi headers.
    I want to stay with the 4-2-1 design because I don't want to sacrifice the already "soft" midrange for some bar-room bragging top end horsepower.

Next will be the Gruppe M intake.

13. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Or more depending on when the motor was last out of the car. Figure $15K at retail.

14. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I don't know about you, but I never am trying to go fast in a city. I'm trying to get somewhere, but another 20-30lbs ft of torque at say 4000rpm would never get used by me anywhere. If I'm driving at that rpm, I'm not trying to go fast. If I'm trying to go fast, I'm not at that rpm. Even if I had more power there, it wouldn't be as much as up top in a lower gear so I'd never use it. I just don't get the need unless you just don't like shifting? You guys act like you need a bunch of torque to sit in traffic or drive around the block. What for? Do you ever floor it at 4000rpm in an area where you couldn't also floor it in the next gear down at 6000? I don't except maybe in 1st gear, in which case traction is marginal so more torque would just make it worse.

15. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I don't think we are talking about doing the 1/4 mile and high speed runs. We are talking throttle response in every day driving which is more a product of torque than horsepower. When people say a car is dead below 5000rpm, it is because a lack of torque, If you drive your car everyday, in all kinds of driving, city, highway, ect than you appreciate a better throttle response in real world driving. That is all we are saying.

16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Still agree :D

17. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    How about this for us mortals... Dial cams. Now depending how its done you can change the power band re- advance or retard. Free flowing muffler will save a few pounds and dont forget new paper air filters flow VERY well. My car has dialed cams,Quicksilver rear box and 200 plus psi on every cylinder. Out pulls Testarossa in roll on and can and does stick it to a modded E30 M3 evo with the 2.5 engine rolling out of 1st gear up. Its not my 530hp 930 but its good enough to frighten most stuff...

18. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Mortals? That actually sounds like you have maximized the car without resorting to major surgery, bravo.

Last I checked, I am a mortal, a psychologist, with no formal engineering, automotive, or forced induction education. Mind you, I have a few good mentors.

It doesn't get much more mortal than that.

19. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I was curious and reached out that Japanese gentleman that has a Toda 3.8 liter engine in a street F355. He said it costed USD 88k.

20. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    That's just ridiculous.

You could've swapped a 458 drivetrain in there for less.

21. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Now that would be something :D

22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Last time I checked we all own ferraris so everything is ridiculous. Maybe he just wants the power of a 430 with the sound and looks of a 355.

Just sayin. I would rather have two.

23. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012

Don't know how you get there... Is everything Ferrari ridiculous, or are we purchasing an experience not easily found elsewhere? I just wanted a Ferrari.

I don't want to ignore that the F430 is a great car. Getting an F355 to the same power levels, without any restrictions on the means of achieving it, however, is trivial.

The 430, compared to the F355, lacks the visual appeal of the best of the V8 Ferrari's. As Clarkson so eloquently opined, and alluded to his co-host, May purchased the wrong car. We could have jumped from F355 to the 458 Italia and never missed the 360 and 430 (cept for the 430 scud perhaps).

24. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    I feel the same way. I love the way the f430 performs, but the styling is bazaar and in some places looks awkward and like someone had afterthoughts in design.

25. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Unless you only want an M6