Fuel Filter Question | FerrariChat

Fuel Filter Question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by moysiuan, Apr 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    So I just changed the fuel filter on my 3.2, being the Swiss model it has a different filter than most have, and a delicate 3 way fitting with a thin metal pipe on the bottom. The job went well, I was pretty worried about tightening things up with the metal to metal fittings and not busting the fitting/pipe. My question is, if I just turn the ignition, without starting the car, does that pressurize the system sufficiently to check for leaks, or do I have to start the car up. I hesitate to do the latter, as my car is deep in my garage, its jacked up with the wheel off and would be the first start of the season, and its darn cold out right now in Toronto! If it is indeed pressurized without having to start, I am good to go, I will button it all up and finish the job.

2. jfrazar

jfrazar Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Jun 26, 2004
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Frazar
    start it up. don't expect it start really well as the air needs to purge from the system.

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Will do, thanks for the quick feedback

4. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Have the car outside as well!

5. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Always when I messed with the fuel system, I let someone else start the car, with the understanding: when I yell, he needs to cut it of immediately.

If possible outside, but Always with a big fire extinguisher nearby.

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #6 moysiuan, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So started it up (garage open and well vented), and had my spouse standby in case anything leaked, all is good, so another successful maintenance job! Although the fittings are all of the metal to metal compression variety, I put a bit of Hylomar blue on the threads for greater certainty.

For those with the somewhat rare Swiss model, a couple of quirky points of note. The Bosch filter number is 450905601-850 which crosses to Ferrari part number 117792. The copper crush washers do not come with the filter. I ordered two, only to find this filter has two different size entry and exit fittings, the standard one presumably for other Mondials is 16mm, this one needs one of those and one 20mm washer. Neither the US nor Europe exploded parts diagrams are like this Swiss version regarding how the filter connects to the accumulator, only one pipe goes to the accumulator and one separate pipe goes direct to the fuel pump from branched fitting, so looks like a special accumulator for this version. Also, yes the a/c lines are routed as they are as originally, one goes "through" the two pipes on the fitting, there is no way to route them otherwise. Very odd set up.

I enclose some pictures for those interested in these minor variations among models.

Also, I used a really useful tool being a moldable "funnel" which was perfect for draining the gas from the filter, literally not a drip outside of where I wanted it to go. Also this
    is my secret to doing a coolant change and getting the fluid into a drainage pan without the customary spewing of fluid everywhere. I mail order bought from a place called New Pig, where I buy some absorbant mats and such for oil changes, they are a supplier to the oil spill clean up industry, some useful shop products in there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

This would work too?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/710G243rXVL._SX522_.jpg

:D

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Now that is something for the shop I had not considered!