Even more love for my 360 now | FerrariChat

Even more love for my 360 now

Discussion in '360/430' started by robertpel9, Apr 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I went to the Grand Prix of Long Beach this past weekend, joined a few car caravans on the way over and then I got there very early so I watched cars cruise up and down the main street outside the course. I have always felt that the 360 was the best looking modern exotic and this weekend just reinforced that. In the past I was someone who went thru cars every 6-12 months (had around 30 cars in the 20 years before i bought the 360). I have had the 360 now for almost 2 years and i have ZERO desire to replace her. Maybe add to the stable but not replace.

I saw hundreds of cars and nothing moved me off this position. The one thing i was surprised by is that the 355 drew my eye more than 95% of anything else i saw regardless of year or make. I always hear people go on and on about how beautiful it is and honestly i never got it but seeing it mixed in with older Testarossa's and newer Lambos and F cars it certainly stood out as much more of a timeless beauty that i thought it would. Just exuded class and sportiness.

Also and obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder but i saw a bunch of 308's and Testarossa's and I felt they looked terribly aged regardless of condition. As i used to into Corvettes, they reminded me of the old C4. I was shocked how well the 355 seemed to blend some degree of organic, curvature, with some of the angles of the era.

In the end I still feel the 360 is just simply ageless, pure organic artistry. The 430 doesn't do it for me. The 458 seems to be a truly more modern take on the 360's classic beauty and I can see owning one in the future, and then the 488 ruined it for me again.

Anyway just my humble opinions and thoughts. It's nice to finally have a toy in the garage that leaves me no desire for any other..

2. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yep totally agree. The 360 is perfect. And it's a keeper. I too have had about 30 cars, but only in the past 10 years rather than your 20 years and now that I have the 360 there's zero desire to sell it. Maybe trade it if I can find another 2000 euro stick 360 but in TDF over tan/brown or a yellow one over tan/brown instead of RC over nero. And I'd love to have the racing seats so long as they are small enough to fit me.

3. bing28

bing28 Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    North Orange County
    Full Name:
    Lin
    360 is a classic beauty now and forever!

4. Lonnie

Lonnie Formula Junior

May 22, 2013
    NY/Delray Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Mandel
    I agree I've owned 2 360's and just bought another always miss them when they are sold. I own a 430 as well as a 458 but the 360 in my opinion is the nicest looking one.

5. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    #5 Gated, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've mentioned this before but I didn't love the 360 when it came out. I guess I'm not an "early adopter".

Now, however, I'm 100% in agreement with you. I think it's like the Porsche 993 C2S. Just a timeless beauty IMHO. There is real elegance to the 360.

I also agree that the 458 is more an evolution of the 360 styling direction than the 430. If you study a profile of both they are chokingly similar. Non car people have no idea which is the current car...the 360, 430 or 458? 355, while very pretty, is obviously of an older era to me. Like a Porsche 964 (1990-1994) it's a "bridge car" between the aged 348 (which I like) and the modern 360 language. Similarly the 964 bridge the 1988 and previous 911 elements with the forms that would evolved into 993, 996 and 997.

It would be fascinating to get the various designers who worked on all the aforementioned cars on a panel to hear their thoughts on all this.

Until then, I'll leave you with this:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #6 FerRrari, Apr 20, 2016
  7. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Of course I love the clean curves of the 360. There was this short period a few years ago where everyone loved to bash the 360 as a car that was "just about" ready to plunge in value. And instead value buyers gobbled them up at the prices they were at, and now they are prized for the great Ferrari they are.

But I'll be the voice of dissent and say the 488 is an improvement over the 458.

8. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Agreed. Especially in the styling department. Fixed a lot of the little kind of "odd"/"fussy" parts of the 458. But, you can't even option in a clutch pedal, so I'm really not interested. It's just not as much fun, for me, and that's what it's all about. I could care less if the F1 is point-whatever of a second faster on the Fiorano test track. Big whoop, who cares. The experience is everything along with the feedback and handling qualities. Since most of you are familiar with Beetles, let's stray for a moment:

Sure, a 997 or 991 Cup car is faster than my 996 Cup, but neither of the newer models offer the same driving characteristics as mine. I found the 991 especially devoid of any feedback. The steering is completely numb and the chassis very nearly the same. The 997 is...fairly acceptable...but it doesn't have the raw feeling of the 996. And the 360 has that rawness as well. The 430 doesn't feel quite as "race ready", but is completely acceptable and some day, when I have extra money I don't know what to do with, I'll buy a Scuderia and convert it to a stick. Because at least with the Scud, the curb weight is more in line with my tastes than the stock F430.

But anyway, the trend continues. I really wish these companies would stop making cars that have so much distance between the driver and the machine. Enough with the computers guys--digital isn't, as a matter of fact, better than film.

9. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    #9 espvh, Apr 21, 2016
    +1

10. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    #10 MalcQV, Apr 21, 2016
    I didn't much like the 360 when it came out. I caught a profile picture of a 458 the other day and it did remind me quite a bit of the 360 profile.

I do really like the 360 now, perhaps some of that is owning one. It was never an intention, it just happened when I decided I'd had enough of my F355, which was the car I always wanted.

Last two include my old F355. Well the last one obviously does. I do very much like the 360 now.

11. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Same here. It's only been within the last 2-3 years that I've really come to like the looks of the 360. So much so that I'm hoping to close on a 360 spider within the next 4-8 weeks.

12. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    It took me a while to warm to the 360 style too....but I've really enjoyed my 360s
    Only thing that I think looks dated are the headlights..looks like 05 Corvette.

13. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Agree. I'm on my second 360 gated as well. Every time I think about selling it I take it for a drive and say wait a minute, not yet.

14. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    #14 CrazyMD, Apr 21, 2016
    My 15 year old 360, and 6 month old GT3 RS. Still think the 360 looks better and drives better. Call me crazy, it was my first Ferrari and I still love it just as much as the first day I got it.

15. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Observations: A bunch of 360 owners are saying how wonderful the360 is. Am I surprised? No. :)

16. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Not sure how accurate the observation is. I have 7 ferrari's in the garage...my 360 is my oldest one and I took delivery of an F12 2 months ago. So although we may be 360 owners, many of us may have a collection of other cars in which we are comparing to.

17. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Good point and I did think about the exception meaning people like you who have multiple f-cars. In general people who own an item tend to reinforce their decision by saying how awesome it is. Don't get me wrong the 360 is a beautiful car.
    Now I"m really curious. You have 7 f-cars and you feel the 360 is the best? Please expound as I would like to learn.

--thanks
    --kim

18. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    The 360 has always been beautiful, is beautiful, and will always be beautiful. IMO a very important design step in Ferraris history.

19. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    Lol, +1

20. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'm the original poster, my post was that this is different (at least for me this time). I don't just feel this way because I am a 360 owner. I usually flip cars in 12-18 months. Even at that, during those 12-18 months I lust after other cars, especially after a in person viewing. The weekend of the Grand Prix I saw about every car one could possibly e interested in and i had ZERO and I mean ZERO car lust. The only car I saw that I though might make me want to add more garage space was a 355 which actually shocked me.

I agree, generally you defend what you own. In this case I'm just showing appreciation for what I believe is something special. I guess it likens itself to finding the right woman.....

21. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    What strikes me about the 360 is how it's far more beautiful in its sculpturing when seen in person versus in pictures. Perhaps it's just the backdrop of it being in my garage:)

I do believe there is a timelessness in its lines that makes it look just as fresh in design as anything coming out today. I felt that before I bought one. Truly a rolling sculpture.

22. Formula1r

Formula1r Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Absolutely. The design is timeless. I see a few very modern supercars showing design clues from the 360. It is one of the best looking Ferraris ever. Especially in the modern era.

23. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I love 360's, but I also really like the way the 430 has similar lines in the front end but a more muscular looking back end, esp the more aggressive looking intakes....and of course the interior...that steering wheel is sexy.
    I'm mixed on the tail lights of both cars...the 360's look a tad dated, but there's something odd about the 430 tail lights as well.
    Both great cars!