458 DIY Oil Change Procedure - Yes, I committed the ultimate sin! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 DIY Oil Change Procedure - Yes, I committed the ultimate sin!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by AZLambo, Nov 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 10FerrariCATX

10FerrariCATX Karting

Jul 24, 2015
    Great write up!

2. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  3. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    Great post, Jeff. Thanks!

4. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Great job on the dyi. Thanks. Something to consider when my 7 year free annual service expires.

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    This should be made a sticky thread
    thanks

6. nsxct31

nsxct31 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    sugar land tx
    Full Name:
    Charles Sukhee
  7. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Awesome. Thanks

8. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Great writeup. Now I just need an Italia to practice :)

9. lchavet

lchavet Karting

Oct 26, 2010
    Kirkland WA
    Full Name:
    Laurent Chavet
    Thanks for sharing; I will come back to this post after the 7 year included maintenance.

10. deepc

deepc Rookie

Jan 20, 2016
    Cali
    Full Name:
    Deep
    This will definitely save some $$. Great instructions! A step by step video would also be great too.

11. Bitatasg

Bitatasg Rookie

Nov 25, 2015
    Have you DYI guys ever thought of using an oil evacuator instead of screwing around underneath the car? If the diffuser is really that much of a pain to remove, also no need for a lift. I don't own a 458, YET, but when I do, there's no damn way I'm paying the dealer $1,500 for an oil change. I use my evacuator on my Yamaha outboard and also my wife's Mercedes SUV. With top mount oil filter, no need to get under the car.

Great deal on MityVac MV7300 at ToolTopia.com

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Done too many oil changes to be convinced that there is a more thorough method of removing the old oil than a gravity slow drain with a warm motor. It sure is more convenient to vacuum but don't believe it will do as good a job getting all the old stuff out. If you really need a lift to do it (remove the under tray, etc.) then at $1500 a change it might be a better idea to invest in a lift or half lift if you want to DIY. That way you know its done right and you can monitor/maintain the rest of the running gear.

13. justthebest

justthebest Formula Junior

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Having changed the oil on a few of my cars over the years, I have a really hard time trusting the vacuum method. I think it's worth it to either pay for the service to be done or get under the car and make sure the oil / debris are all sufficiently purged. With some of my vehicles, I'll sacrifice ~1/2 a quart by pouring it in the open filler with an open drain plug to give it one quick rinse. Excessive? Maybe. Worth the $10 to me? Yep.

14. 10FerrariCATX

10FerrariCATX Karting

Jul 24, 2015
    I know a lot of people believe all maintenance should be performed at Ferrari dealership but I wonder if some appropriately documented it oil changes by providing receipts of oil and filter, mileage and date, and took detailed pics of oil change being completed if people would still be turned away? I for one would not have a problem with someone performing their own oil changes and documenting like stated and would have no issues buying used from them. What are other members thoughts? I do however feel that vehicle still needs to be seen be dealership on occasion for other maintenance and to be looked over.

15. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks for the tips; I am going to change the oil on my 458 as soon as spring breaks and this will be the first time I have done it. Your write-up is a great help.

On the vacuum change: I too don't think it would be as good as the old-fashioned way. That having been said, there are some BMWs without drain plugs, so vacuum is the only option.

Also, putting your car on the lift to do an oil change is (for me anyway) a form of Zen (and the art of maintenance)

On the warranty: according to the Magnuson-Moss Act, no dealer can refuse you warranty if you do your own service. But I anyway get all my parts from our local dealer (Cauley) because they are great to work with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

16. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    In step 7: can anyone confirm the wrench size (19?)

In step 15: anyone know the torque on the filter housing?

17. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    Nice to change your own oil, but how do you turn off the service interval light?

18. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    The information contained on this thread and the related link above is just fantastic. I am certain that with good record keeping there is no detriment to re-sale value if you do your own oil changes.

Also with the money you save really expand your documentation with an oil analysis $28 from Standard Analysis to keep with your records. If anyone questions not getting oil changes done at the dealer ask them how many dealers analyze the oil and keep the records. That should quiet any concerns pretty quickly :)

19. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Have the dealer do it.

20. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you so much for doing this. I'm doing an oil change on my buddies 458 this coming weekend and this is very help. I just ordered an oil change kit from Algar so we will be all set.

One suggestion if you don't mind - please post a PDF or large images - that would be very helpful :)

21. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    Oil extractor wouldn't work for dry sump

Do dealer charge to reset the service light? Too bad there is no way to do it yourself.

You don't need a lift to remove the trays. A good ramp will do

22. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  23. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    What are the torque settings for the drain plugs and filter cannister?

24. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #49 Dave rocks, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mr. Chucklepipes likes this.
  25. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    Thanks Dave! Really nice of you to post the information. I greatly appreciate it!