Bullfighter in Hospital - Hit head-on by DUI | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Bullfighter in Hospital - Hit head-on by DUI

Discussion in '308/328' started by Robb, Mar 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    ^^ Great news!!

2. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Excellent! Can't wait he posts here again!

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Positive news! Cheers Robb.

4. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Good to hear. I know he has a long road of recovery ahead of him but it's great that he's making good progress.

5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    glad to hear: a first step in the right direction, finally.

ciao

6. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I would make sure he's cool with that type of thing first, I know when I was in a car accident a few years back (one that totaled a car but luckily didn't cause any injuries) I wanted nothing to do with cars for a little while. Of course that changed, but it was close to a year before I was really back into it. The kids may want nothing to do with sports cars, so I would just be very careful about planning something like that before running it by the involved parties...

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Absolutely. It's possible that more than anything, you're reminding Jon that he doesn't have a car any more and something that he put his heart and soul into is gone. It's even more possible that on top of that, the realization that getting a car again is nowhere near a priority because of so many other issues. It would be adding insult to injury.

8. SOneThreeCoupe

Mar 30, 2016
    Fallbrook, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Culver
    Very close to breaking $34k.

I am encouraged to hear Jon is doing well.

9. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Guys, excellent input! I completely agree. That's what makes the F chat community so wonderful. People helping each other.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    May 1st is Amanda's ceremony at Fullerton.

Don't know if her sister will be there.

Thanks for your thoughts, Heather....we do have some female members/owners here but your views are very important to balance things.

Maybe rlevesque will bring some pictures in from that event.

11. rlevesque

rlevesque Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
  12. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    I don't frequent this site anymore so I just saw this. I met Jon and he was one of the first Ferrari guys I met (along with 3Forty8 - Eric). I am stunned and don't even know what to day. Prayers for Jon, and his girlfriend and family. Wow.

13. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Thanks for sharing, very nice to get a glimpse of her life.

14. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Jen,
    We are so sorry for your loss. I knew Jon but unfortunately never met Amanda. From the light in her eyes from the picture posted in this thread, I can see that she was a beautiful soul. May she RIP and may you and all of you be comforted by our Lord and Savior. Amen.

15. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I visited Jon at the care facility today; physically, he is in rough shape but appears to be mentally alert. He still can't speak, but he was able to laugh at some of my corny jokes - his sense of humor is intact! He recognized me instantly and gave my hand a strong squeeze to welcome me.

I also had a chance to visit with his mother, Sheila. She is a real sweetheart and I shared with both Jon and Sheila how our entire community has rallied around Jon and that our thoughts are with them.

The care facility neglected to tell me Jon's father, who has POA, has created an "allowed visitors" list. We can't just drop by for a visit without first getting his consent, but I can tell you Jon's eyes lit up at the sight of a friend. I am hopeful Jon's dad will allow more friends to visit, just be aware you can't "drop in" without checking with him first.

Jon has not been told about Amanda yet, so anyone planning a visit please be mindful of that fact.

16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thank you very much for the update .

17. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thanks, 3forty8.

18. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    Good work 348.

Pardon me for asking such a specific question, but can Jon not talk because he is dealing with a traumatic brain injury, or is it because medical apparatus (i.e trachea tube) prevents him from talking?

Just want to better understand the exact nature of his injuries. Asking solely as a fellow FChatter who is very concerned for his well-being and of course quite saddened by this event.

If my questions are too pointed or personal, by all means feel free to not answer. Warmest regards.

Rob

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Cranial impact, swelling of the brain...

They will have to establish motor responses, a little at a time.

The one word, "No" is a very positive indicator.
    And the smile...

He's "in there" and will have to work his way back to us.
    Thanks so much Eric....and also to rlevesque, for the link on the Fullerton Memorial.

20. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    It makes me sad to think that he doesn't know about Amanda yet, and how difficult that will be to hear about her when he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's really best left "for another day'......

22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I don't know whether it's standard protocol or handled on a case-by-case basis, but this makes me cringe.

I can't imagine a time in which it's not going to be a huge, tragic shock. But I also don't know real details.

Awful either way.

Matt

23. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Speaking from first hand experience, what Tex said is pretty much spot on. Even knowing about it would not be understood as well. Post traumatic head injury, the mind does some strange things. Sometimes blocking out memories, some suggest, to protect the person. In the future, there will be the right time to tell him. It's not something to be rushed, nor an important thing to do at the moment. His daily survival and recovery is far more important. One day, he will start to remember, begin to talk, and then he'll ask the difficult questions.

24. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The way I heard it's like a "reset". You have some brain "injury". You have to start learning again. Almost as though you were a toddler. You have to learn how to speak. You know how to pick up the spoon but you lost the connections to make your brain transmit the "pick up" messages to your arm and fingers.

25. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Kevin - exactly!

It's difficult to describe. Think of the way you tie your shoes. Do A then B and the results are C. For some reason, you understand that's the process, but for some reason, you do B then D maybe A and you'll get to C.

Best way I've relayed it in the past: think about walking in someone else's shoes. "Boy wouldn't it be great to walk in Irishman's shoes right now? His life looks wonderful." One day, you wake up, and you are in Irishman's shoes, but you don't know how the heck he tied his shoes! You don't know how he made connections in his mind to add/subtract/read/write and process information, but you are stuck in Irishman's head now and you have to figure out how things work.

I'd like to know where to send a car/flower-fund to, it's probably back on one of the pages. Can someone PM me info?