Daily driving an Abarth 500? | FerrariChat

Daily driving an Abarth 500?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Auraraptor, May 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I was thinking of getting a 2015 Abarth spec as a daily driver for around town and highway commuting to replace my Honda Prelude.

I would love experiences of people who owned them. Does the exhaust start to drone or get troublesome?

2. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Mine has been my D.D. since April 2013. Every trip is a smile.

100% reliable, a ton of fun, equally as fun as driving my 308.

One bit of advice - get the cabrio. Everyone likes the open top. No worries on the exhaust sound.

Buy it. You will not regret it.

3. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Have you test driven it? I never owned one but rented one for 4-5 days last May in Italy. I did around a thousand miles (including some twisties in the Alps). The engine/exhaust sound didn't bother me (I like my cars small, basic and noisy, though) but I did find the driving experience underwhelming. From the little experience (a couple of twisty miles) I had with the mini cooper s john cooper works, it seemed a superior machine...

4. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I'm planning on test driving this weekend.

5. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think that adding the anti roll bar and Koni shocks on the rear transform the car.

6. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I've used mine as a daily driver for 41 months/40.4K miles- 100% trouble-free and pretty entertaining to drive. It's noisy (in a fun way) and rides like a truck, but neither of those issues were a surprise, and neither dissuades me from concluding that it's perhaps the best daily-driver I've owned. If it continues to run like this, I'll keep it forever.
    There are various things I'd have done differently if I were designing it, but for largely urban and some back-road driving in the Baltimore-Washington corridor, it's been big fun thus far. A niche car for those who don't mind a somewhat "hair shirt" experience, IMHO.
    I vote against the cabrio and in favor of the sunroof. The latter is much less expensive and can be used almost year-round.

7. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I daily drove mine for 3+ years. For the most part, it was enjoyable. It was not reliable, though. Mine suffered from numerous issues, which ultimately led to me getting rid of it. I understand most of my issues were known issues for early run first year cars (which mine was), and most, if not all, have been rectified.

If you can live with a loud cabin, bad heat/AC, and minimal creature comforts, it's definitely fun to drive.

Mark

8. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    42k miles on my 12' 500 and so far I've had to change one bearing and thats it. Oil changes every 6-7k if city driven on synthetic and premium fuel required. Most parts are cheap and can be sourced online.

If you live in a city with terrible roads like I do, be prepared to bounce around. I've driven it through this past winter and horrid temperatures and no problems as of yet.

Ideally the 15's have a few improvements over the first models in quality and finish. Most problems seem to revolve around the first year. Check fiat500usa.com for updates and recalls or TSBs.

9. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    #9 sburke, May 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mine has had a fair bit of issues... Everything from minor to major. Make sure you have a good studio near you. The majority of issues people have are related to poor service departments.

Mine is an early run car though, and overall the cars are reliable.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    #10 sburke, May 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Also you can get really solid deals on the Abarth these days, shop around if you have to.

Considering all the issues I've had, I still enjoy thrashing on it,
    And treating it like a truck.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
  12. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    I've got a 2013 Abarth, the only issue I have had was an annoying blinking odometer which is a known issue as well. I have around 60-65k on mine and daily drive it. It's fwd so does suffer from the terminal understeer issues, but that shouldn't keep you from driving one. Lots of fun, people love it and I always get compliments on the exhaust.

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had mine for two years (lots of modifications done to it), had about 5K miles when I got rid of it for a new Mini Cooper S 4 door. Ended up being too small for my twin boys to fit back there, too noisy for my Brittney pup to ride in, and everyone in the family but me hated it. When I took all the mods off it and drove it to the Mini dealer, it was not even remotely as much fun to drive. Mine never saw the dealer but my cars rarely do, I prefer to do things myself. With the mods to the new Mini it is faster than the Abarth though it does lack the steering feel (but i'm working on that). My Abarth did not have the stock exhaust so it was a screamer, but it was fun, but in the end having a car that no one wanted to get it just did not make sense, even for me.

14. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    I will also stress again to find a solid studio near you, If they all have a bad rap don't purchase a Fiat.

Corporate is absolutely terrible.

15. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    16k miles here on a 13, no issues at all, no warranty work either. Will always put a stupid grin on your face. Great gas mileage and just loads of fun. All of my commute is back road twistys. Actually fun to be able row through the gears instead of having a car that has so much power it's tough to use below triple digits. No rattles and overall very solid. Would buy again.

16. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Daily drove an Abarth for 3 years. One of the most consistently entertaining cars I've driven. Took it from South Carolina to New Jersey several times, and had a 6 week stint of driving it 100+ miles per day. Loved it.

Only MAJOR negative is the combination of a false reverse when parking it (feels like it's in reverse but it's really in neutral, if parked nose down on a hill) and a very weak parking brake. This combo resulted in the car rolling down my driveway THREE TIMES. Fixed under warranty the first two times (just mild cosmetics) with the parking brake tightened. Third time it went over the retaining wall and was totaled.

17. winston

winston Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    foothills
    Full Name:
    don
    We have two. Great cars. Bigger torsion bar and chassis braces , and on mine H&R springs and Konis have firmed it up nicely.
    Really fun cars !

18. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    44,000 miles on my Abarth, no issues as a daily driver and autocross car. It does not require premium as stated above, but premium is recommended. Drive with the radio on and you'll hardly notice the sound, leave the radio off and enjoy the straight thru exhaust and some backfires on a regular basis.

19. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    So .... what was the verdict?

20. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Great little car! The power is *much* better than the sport and lounge I drove before.

Unfortunately it left me mixed. It was a bit too much attention grabbing (with the exhaust coupled with its very different looks) for a daily driver/work/city car for me.

It would be amazing as a semi-daily.