In US - Salvage / rebuilt Titles for Challenge Cars? | FerrariChat

In US - Salvage / rebuilt Titles for Challenge Cars?

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Robb, May 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I met with a service advisor at a dealership last week. I was there looking at their many other brands.

I asked about a lotus exige cup car... Normally track use only. The service adviser indicated that several owners of those cars have applied for and received salvage re-built titles on their race cars so that by adding headlights, they can now run them on the street...

I hadn't heard that angle before. I'm sure it varies state to state.

Anyone have any thoughts on how this might work for Ferrari Challenge cars? Might be a way to get a 360 challenge or f430 challenge on the road where emissions are not required for some owners? I do not know how these title classifications work.

Robb

2. Exotic Lambo

Exotic Lambo Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2011
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Gianca

In Florida after a simple inspection they title golf cars with headlights and turn signals.

3. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Interesting loophole but I don't think I would ever want to run my 458C in the street. First to consider is that a car with a full cage isn't safe unless you have a helmet. You can easily bang your head on the cage, etc...

Then what about tires. The whole setup is optimized for slicks. One would need yet another set of wheels and a compromise setup.

Finally, I'm not sure street time would be worth the wear on the engine / transmission / etc...

Arnaud

4. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I agree with you on all your points. I do not desire to put our F355 challenge on the road because of the cage and springs.

But I had not heard that angle before so there may be an option for some wanting to go that route.

Thanks.

Robb

5. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Even in the unlikely even that this idea works in some state(s) and you get a title, good luck getting the insurance required to obtain a license tag. Race car VINs are sure to sound alarm bells when you try to buy liability coverage.

6. leopard881

leopard881 Karting

May 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    David
    When it comes to Ferrari challenge cars, 348CH, 355CH, and 360CH all have "normal" VINs. I don't think that any officer or insurance agent will be aware of which VIN is a challenge car, and which one isn't. Even F-register.com has recently erred... (see http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/challenge-gt-cars/517386-road-legal-360-challenge.html ).
    Other issues, such as the legal aspects varying from state to state might render the endevour more risky/difficult.

7. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I just found it an interesting concept for what some Lotus owners had done.

I had not heard of that option for owners previously. Most salvage / rebuilt titles are not looked at favorably but if it offered a way to get a challenge car on the road, I believe there is enough interest in a unique car like this as a work around.

There are plenty of owners trying to make street cars "look" like race cars so that crowd especially might like the ability. For some, being able to drive your car to the track has always been a plus - even if it doesn't happen often.

Robb

8. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Are you sure about this? I thought that only 348CH and 1995 355CH cars had normal VINs?

9. rdm2311

rdm2311 Rookie

Dec 21, 2013
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I looked into getting a title on a '97 Challenge car imported from Venezuela. It would have worked in Texas if I could have gotten the emissions sorted - the car did not have the OBD II sensor so they couldn't test it. In Texas, you need the emissions okay before they'll give you a title, so it was a no go. I installed the headlights, turn signals, horn, etc. When I did drive it around on the street, I kept grounding out so I gave up on the idea. I sold the car because I didn't have time to track it. Haggerty insured the car without any issues and with the Venezuela VIN.

10. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Incorrect- only 348 CH and early (1995) 355CH have normal VINs, not the others you cite. Even with the 348/355s, many insurers won't underwrite a race-equipped car regardless of the VIN- some specialty insurers, on the other hand, will. I speak from personal experience here.

11. leopard881

leopard881 Karting

May 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    David
    That's a statement! Could you tell me, how you differentiate the VIN of a 360CH from the VIN of a normal 360 Modena? I'm always eager to learn.
    David

12. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    With the 355 model, there is absolutely no difference in the VINs. I have the lists of most if not all of the vins for most models and the 355 challenge cars fall in here and there in numerical order. There is no added letter or number to a 355 challenge. Only one person now has most if not all the info on these cars and he had to make many trips and phone calls around the world to get it all together. Thanks again Robb.

13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Want to drive it on the street just get a dealer plate, much more cost effective in the long run.
    Trying to trick the system you will eventually get bit.

I drive one of my 355's on the street just to an occasional very local event, no joy in that. Rather trailer it.

My 348 is softened up for the street and still a bit rough

:)

14. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I would think a dealer plate would still be trouble because the car in question would not have a title... right?

Or maybe that is doable on a temporary excursion.

Robb

15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    #15 SoCal1, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    As long as you own the vehicle you slap the dealer plate on it. No title is needed just a bill or sale of agreement to purchase. You don't have to register or pay tax on it either. I had 20+ dealer plates at my last shop.
    You pay insurance per plate you have, that covers any vehicle you put it on

16. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    In the earliest days of FoW's race team, we had one driver with a pristine 348CH. It got dinged once, and he didn't like that, so he stopped racing it and just drove it as a street car - with full livery and all the race car bits still installed. He'd bring it to track events now and then, and would just change the tires for some "spirited" track driving (which is probably what he should have been doing all along....). :D

gp