GT4 Oil Cooler Line Question | FerrariChat

GT4 Oil Cooler Line Question

Discussion in '308/328' started by sltillim, May 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I'm about to take off my oil cooler lines to repair a leak. The rear end of the car is up in the air as I'm rebuilding my wheels. Is oil going to dump out when I loosen them? Or is most of it drained in the sump? Just want to be prepared for a mess, in case!!!

The upper line is leaking but I figure I should just do both at once - or is this silly?

Thanks all!!!

2. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    It's up to you to change both. Though figure on some oil coming out of bottom hose so plan appropriately

3. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    #3 GT4 Joe, May 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Do them both. Pull them out with the cooler. A good time to rebuild the cooler box and flap. You'll need a thin 30mm end wrench as a backup on the cooler so you don't twist the aluminum cooler ends off. A little heat on the joints helps also. A little residual oil mess, but no big deal. Here's a pic of the Snap-on version, well worth the $65.00.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    What size is that wrench?

5. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
  6. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Nice. Thanks. Just bought one on e-bay for $39.

7. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice.

Joe- noticed the Elva avitar. My dad used to vintage race a 1959 Elva Formula Jr. He was slow but it was a great little car! Same green.

8. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
  9. schu

schu Rookie

Aug 25, 2009
    Leawood, KS
    Full Name:
    Mike Fickel
    Where are you going to get the replacement oil lines? According to the less than reliable mechanic who was servicing my 79 308 at that time replacement lines were impossible to obtain.

10. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    If you find NOS hoses, they are going to rotted out from age. Have them made up locally using your fittings. Find a local hot rod or hydraulic shop to help. Not expensive either.

11. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I just recently took the cooler lines off of my QV after the car had been sitting for a week. I disconnected the lines at the oil filter and the block. The block is the low point and there was almost nothing that came out. It was disappointing to see how much oil has to pump before bearings see oil pressure.

12. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #12 GordonC, May 8, 2016
  13. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    The bearings get the oil first via the pump from the sump. Then to the filter and oil pressure monitor, then through the cooler and back to the sump.

14. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I was directed to a local hose fitter called Tri Valley in Livermore, CA by a fellow fchatter. They may not come out concours correct but functional which means more to me. I will share my results.

15. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    How sure are you about that?

16. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Well Brian, in my mind I was pretty sure, but after some poking around on the web, you are probably correct on the long path. I wasn't able to find an oil flow chart specific to the 308, but flow through the filter first is kind of a no brainer.
    So from the oil pump through a tube or galley at the back of the block, through the (usually braided) oil hose up to the cooler, hose over to the filter, and then to engine lubrication does seem like a long journey.
    Thanks for questioning my assumed knowledge. I always like to learn.

17. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I think there's an oil diagram in the owners manual. Next time I'm in the garage I'll check it.

I think the path on a wet sump car is: oil pump, relief valve, across the block to the oil cooler input hose, oil cooler, oil cooler output hose, oil filter stand, oil filter, the other side of the oil filter stand that has the pressure light and gauge sensors and then down into the block where it splits up to go to the bearings.

18. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Not a great pic but if you enlarge it;
    [​IMG]
    This is a QV from the OM. I think the earlier cars had the cooler lines reversed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    GT Car Parts makes the oil cooler lines correctly.

516 W. Lone Cactus Drive, Phoenix, Arizona, USA 85027
    (623) 780 2200
    [email protected]

20. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I love GT Car Parts. Sometimes I go there just to get a peak of all the ferrari stuff:)

21. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Almost Oregon, California
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    I was just at GT Car Parts while picking up my daughter from college. Cool place. But back to the post... I would think any auto parts store that services hydraulic systems (like back hoes) could make them for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    #22 sltillim, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Okay - just got the car on full jack stands as I am also restoring my wheels. I have a small one car garage in a town house. It is such a PITA - may have a less expensive solution for this.

The lines are a ***** to pull off! I tried with an adjustable wrench and it did not work. See what you mean about the 30mm snapon. I know they are good - home depot has a long shank 30mm for $9. Thought I am not sure it will work with the oil cooler end as I see what you mean about needing a slim profile. I will try a little penetrating fluid and heat to assist. Pull the lines from the block and then remove from the oil cooler - as seems to be the methods suggested.

Would a heat gun be safer here? Or am I being a wuss and should just pull out the torch?

I made the decision to redo the hoses with modern AN fittings and remove the banjo bolt with a curved 90 for better flow into the block. No cares about concours judging here. I found a lot of info on this here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/331310-oil-line-rebuilding-3.html

Parts List:
    -2x M22 to 12AN Reusable Hose End, https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=8930

-2x 30mm Female Porsche to Male AN adapter https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1219
    It look like before there possibly was no option for this and some people resorted to welding compatible fittings on the ends of their oil coolers but this might work...

2x hose ends as they do not appear to come with the porsche adapter - I am calling Pegasus on this...

3-4 feet of 12an braided steel racing hose

I am doing a couple of "while I am in there projects:

Oil leaks have been an issue for me, leaving spotting where ever I go.
    I know the top hose has been a culprit here.
    Remove oil pan and reseal - maybe this is the right time to put in the baffle and change out the shift shaft seal...

I think the front cam cover is also leaking - will consider this for now or future repair.

I need a new oil pressure sender

Oil change

new oil filter - man is this thing stuck on there! Found an old thread on this. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/336692-gt4-oil-filter-stuck.html

This is it for now... Any notes, comments and advise is welcome!

23. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I had to cut through the nuts to get the hoses off the cooler on my 328. Aluminium cooler + steel hose fitting = metal-metal corrosion.

Heat might fix it but I'm not sure if you could get it hot enough without damaging the cooler - and there will be residual oil in there

Careful application of a dremel cutter & a fine saw blade straight through one of the flats of the nut till I could just start to see the threads & then a twist with a big screwdriver. It split the nut & released it from the cooler.

24. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    #24 sltillim, May 29, 2016
    Nuts came off the oil cooler pretty easy. I hit it with the torch on low for a few seconds. Interesting note - they were 32mm on my '75 GT4. And the nut that holds on the banjo fitting is something like a 28mm. My 32 mm open box wrench from Home Depot was $11.99
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I am having the hoses in my GT4 rebuilt by a local aviation parts shop. They tell me they cannot reuse my fittings due to the design. The fittings on the engine side are two different widths. I.e. Different OD's. I don't have the engine handy to see why nor the fittings to take pics so can someone tell me if this a clearance issue or have my hoses been remade at some point with a fitting of a different OD?