Importing Fcar From Japan | FerrariChat

Importing Fcar From Japan

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by scowman, May 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    #1 scowman, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Does anyone have experience importing cars? I have a Japanese exporter telling me a 550 cannot be imported. Is there a list of qualified cars? I've read a couple of non f blogs about car importing but nothing specific to f cars.

2. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
  3. Detroitsteel

Detroitsteel Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan/Japan
    Full Name:
    Adam
    That is more or less correct. Importing from any country to the US can be difficult if it is not 25 years old. Being that I live in Japan currently I was looking to do the same. After much research what I found was to import and convert the car to us specs, both EPA & DOT would run between $18k -$25k. Done wrong the car could be unsellable or confiscated.

4. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    That was one of the blogs I looked at and the 550 is on it except for 2000 (go figure). Does anyone know of a good Japanese broker?

Also "expensive" is a relative term.

Any first hand advice or brokers to use or avoid?

5. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    #5 scowman, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Which car? I thought by the 550 ferrari was making world market cars no?

6. Detroitsteel

Detroitsteel Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan/Japan
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I was looking at a 550 and no they are not world market cars there are some difference from the head lights, taillights, gauge cluster and I believe side impact bars in the doors. I spoke to a company that specializes in importing and converting Ferraris to US spec. I believe they were in the greater DC area (I can try and dig up their info later)

7. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I would appreciate it. What is the purpose of this list if it's not an ok to import list?

http://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig120115.xlsx

8. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Maybe this is it:

A vehicle without a certification label cannot be imported as a conforming vehicle. In this case, the importer must contract with a Registered Importer (RI) to modify the vehicle and post a DOT Conformance Bond in an amount equivalent to one and a half times the vehicle’s dutiable value. This bond is in addition to the normal Customs entry bond. Copies of the DOT Conformance bond and the contract with an RI must be attached to the HS-7 form. Under the contract, the RI will modify the vehicle and certify that it conforms to all applicable FMVSS.

Before an RI can modify a vehicle, NHTSA must have determined that the vehicle is eligible for importation based on its capability of being modified to conform to all applicable FMVSS. If no determination has been made, the RI must petition NHTSA to determine whether the vehicle is eligible for importation. If the petitioned vehicle is not similar to one sold in the U.S., this process can become very complex and costly. A list of vehicles that have been determined eligible for importation can be found on NHTSA’s web site at Vehicle Importation and Certification Requirements.

So I think the list means ir it's on the list you can import it and fix it. If it's not on the list you can't import it and fix it unless your get the feds to say it's even possible. The certification label is key. Anyone know if Ferrari has ever done those worldwide?

9. Detroitsteel

Detroitsteel Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan/Japan
    Full Name:
    Adam
    JK technologies 410-366-6332

Good luck!