348 Serie Speciale - Coys Spring Classic 2016 | FerrariChat

348 Serie Speciale - Coys Spring Classic 2016

Discussion in '348/355' started by tyziocayo, May 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tyziocayo

tyziocayo Karting

Dec 19, 2012
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Silvio
    Sold for £ 70,000 this RHD 348 SS at Coys Auction Spring Classic 2016:

1994 Ferrari 348 TB Speciale | Coys of Kensington

However the car has standard rear light and VIN ZFFKA35C000094421

But a SS should not have VIN type ZFFR....?

R not K for fourth digit, or I'm wrong.

Is it true SS?

2. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The fourth digit indicates the engine fitted to the car - It does not denote that the car is a Speciale version.

So in this case:

"ZFFK" indicates that the car was manufactured by Ferrari with a F119D(L) Euro engine fitted.

"ZFFR" would indicate that the car was built by Ferrari with a F119G040 US-spec engine fitted.

There were 4 UK end of the line TB/TS cars (chassis No.s: 94421, 94621, 95304 and 95618), that were converted to a "Speciale" spec by Maranello Concessionaires prior to the GTB/GTS coming along, which had the lower panels painted in the body colour (the flat section of the engine lid was left black rather than being body coloured as on the GTB/GTS series), had a sports exhaust fitted, a challenge series steering wheel, a front spoiler lip, drilled aluminium pedals, and an interior badge.

The rear lights were the same as the standard cars, with the grille still fitted (the COYS site is incorrect in stating that the rear lights were modified), and from the pictures, I'd say they're wrong about the door cards being modified as those look exactly the same as the door cards on My 1990 348 TS).

The 4 cars were made into "Speciale" editions in an attempt to make them more desirable to buyers (Basically they weren't selling at the time and the GTB/GTS was on the way!)

Mechanically, apart from the sports exhaust, the cars were just TB/TS spec.

COYS are implying that these cars were special editions from the factory, but as far as I'm aware, they were actually dealer specials, not factory specials.

This car had 40,669 miles when it passed it's last MOT in November 2015 and they sold it for £70K - That's @ £15K more than for an equivalent standard TB/TS.

Technically, it is a recognised special version (but not a factory-special), but I can't see the modifications make the car worth that much more than a standard 348 TB/TS.

Somebody obviously bought into the whole "Speciale" part of it, but personally, I think they've seriously over paid for what's basically a very mildly customised 348 TB.

3. 914

914 Karting

Aug 17, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Maarten
    +1

The Speciale name could create confusion with the US Serie Speciale version. I don't think it was a coincidence, they choose to name it like this :)

4. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Again, typical Euros trying to steal our thunder. :p

5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The idea of converting the 4 cars was inspired by the US Serie Speciale, but to be fair, back when these cars were modified, hardly anyone in the UK outside of Ferrari dealers knew anything about the US cars.

This was basically Maranello Concessionaires making 4 "Limited Edition" cars to shift old stock that wasn't selling and was unlikely to sell any time soon, especially with the GTB/GTS series coming out. Calling them "Speciale" just sounded better and more Italian than "348 TB Limited Edition"

6. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    The same for the US cars. However, I sincerely doubt that no one involved was aware of the US model.

7. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    They must have been, The dash emblem is the same used on the USA Speciale and that emblem was designed in the US.

Regards, Jim

8. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Interesting topic to me since I was unaware of the four UK "Speciales". Thanks for the info, guys.

Is it true that the US Speciales were based on standard cars which were modified by FNA in NJ using parts sent from Maranello, presumably as an effort to jump-start interest in the model at a time when exotic car sales were in the toilet?

9. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    This is the story I read. Mostly that they were specified by FNA to move weak selling product. My guess is that the 1994 348's, Speciale II's, were in direct response to a soft market and the fact that the 355 had been spotted.

10. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    YES........Very true.

11. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Thanks, Jim! Appreciate the real-world info.

12. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    The first 100 were us built, the MY94 15 cars were Maranello built

I did not know about the uk cars, interesting.

To be honest, we did have some factory guys come over and help.

13. tyziocayo

tyziocayo Karting

Dec 19, 2012
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Silvio
    Very interesting. Thanks for the info. I did not know the four UK Speciale.

14. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J

As I stated in My previous post:

Maranello Concessionaires Ltd were aware of the US Serie Speciale cars, but hardly any of their customers, or Ferrari enthusiasts in the UK at the time were aware of the them.

I can pretty much guarantee that Maranello concessionaires didn't have four customers come to them and say: "I'd like a 348 Speciale please!". If they did, don't you think the customers would have requested the US style rear lights without the grille, to show off how their cars were more special than the standard UK 348's?

This was basically Maranello concessionaires doing the old dealership trick of taking old stock that's not selling, slapping on some easy to fit extras/options, and then claim it to be a special limited edition model.

All the cars really needed to complete the "Dealership Limited Edition Model" Cliché was to have additional stripes down the sides of the car with "Speciale" in fancy script written into a section of the stripe!

15. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    No way they would do this because then the cars would be confused with Porsche "Special Editions". :)

16. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    I have been searching but I don't find anywhere for Tires size of Pirelli P0 use on 348 Series Speciale... Please let me know, Thank you...