Road Rash & Chips in Paint | FerrariChat

Road Rash & Chips in Paint

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by SoFLFerrari, Jul 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    I drive my 2010 Cali a lot and have started to notice chips on the paint of the hood. No more than half a dozen right now and they are tiny, but they go through the clear coat and paint to the metal. The car does not have a clear bra (I'm not sure I want to go down that route). What's the best way of addressing these chips?

Will a good detailer be able to get them out? How much should I expect to pay for detailing? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You can look into the Dr. Colorchip line of repair kits and attempt it yourself. I have had some very good results using their system.

If you are not happy with the results, the only other option, in my opinion, is to have the affected panel(s) re-painted.

Hope this helps!

3. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Depending on your skill and patience, there are touch up kits which are the next step above a Dr. Colorchip kit. I use the Dr. Colorchip and find it satisfactory for the 10 foot effect. The chip is still there though you can fill it in over time with their material. Still, the paint chip repair kits are more involved but yield a result that it almost as good as repainting. Nothing replaces a respray, however.

4. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    VVvassallo & SizzleChest - Many thanks. I've used Dr. Colorchip on my Cali and agree that it passes the "10 foot" test. Within 10 feet though I can see abrasive swirls in the clearcoat despite using the finest grit polishing pad. I'm tempted to use an electric polisher to buff out those abrasive swirls, which I did successfully on my E550, but I am worried about turning a quarter-size blemish into a pancake-sized one. I was OK experimenting on the E550, but don't want to make a fatal mistake on my Corsa Rosso California.

5. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wavey, most welcome!

I have successfully polished over chips, both repaired and not. I feel that you would be good to go with a machine polishing on your F car, however, if you are not comfortable in doing so, seek out a professional in your area to have a look.

This way you can rid your finish of those pesky swirl marks!

If I were closer I would love to lend a hand!

Regards,
    Scott aka Sizzle

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    For tiny chips, aka rash, patience, a toothpick, and a touch-up bottle of paint and clear coat makes them near invisible. (Note: you need to scuff the tip of the toothpick to get it to hold paint)

For bigger chips, the chip will not be "level" unless you use excess paint and buff it level. Leave this for the pros.

7. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Check with a local paint shop to see if they will tackle the touch-ups for you? Solid colors are easier to fix than metallics.

8. GG-33

GG-33 Karting

Apr 28, 2014
    Farnham, UK
    Full Name:
    Greg
    try 'chip-x'

9. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    What kit is steps above Dr Chip?

10. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I've got so many I'm going to do a respray.

11. Ferrarimondial348

Ferrarimondial348 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Sunny,

I purchased a small bottle of the origional Nero FER 1240 base coat paint to have my detailer touch up some tiny chips on my 348 Spider. The base coat is the color but I noticed you wrote to use clear coat also. Is this step necessary for tiny pin size chips. Bare in mind my car is black. Thanks for any feedback.

12. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    You should use clear coat , the base/color does not have any/much durability. You can probably pass the 10 foot test . When we sold paint everyone wanted a small can of touch-up ,but once base coat / clear coat became standard it made t/u more difficult.

Edward

13. Ferrarimondial348

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Thanks Edward. I will purchase the clear coat also.

14. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    IF you want it done right, bring it to a professional. They can tell you whether it can be buffed out (doubtful) and the correct way to fix it. I have never seen a "kit" work well enough that you could not tell from 3 ft away. Personally, I just get the car repainted when my 360 starts to show the rock chips.

15. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I am a professional detailer of more then 10 years now and will tell you that no touch up kit will make it look like a new paint job, you will always see the small pin head dot weather it's the color of the car or white primer.... whenever I have to do touch up work I make it known before hand that the goal is to only remove the white color so it's less noticeable as it will never be perfectly level with the original paint.

My suggestion if you want it to look perfect again is to respray it then wait a month and get a clear film installed on it. The films are really good now and look like the paint, you can't tell the difference. Just make sure the installer is using either expel or suntek film and do your homework, a good installer can do it with no stretch lines and tuck it under everything so you don't see it and don't go for the half way up the hood nonsense wrap it full on each panel. ;)

16. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

The process of properly fixing paint chips is very tedious and time consuming. If you have just a handful the link I've attached explains the process and techniques for fixing chips. If you have numerous chips, a complete respray is indeed your best option as JoshVette stated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xi3xmeO6C4

17. Ferrarimondial348

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice...
    I have two tiny needle pin size chips next to the Cavalini badge on the bonnet and one on the drivers wing mirror. At this point I will have my detailer fill these with the touch-up paint as I believe he will do a good job. I have had the front spoiler resprayed once and you are all correct in that it was the best way to go. I had the shop match the paint thickness to the car and it looks perfect even after 12 months of driving.

Cheers,
    Stephen.