Introducing myself and my Mondial 8 | FerrariChat

Introducing myself and my Mondial 8

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PolarGlade, Jul 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PolarGlade

PolarGlade Rookie

Jul 29, 2016
    #1 PolarGlade, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey everyone!

My name is Brian and I am the new owner of an '82 Mondial 8. I bought it Wednesday in Chicago and trailered it back to Denver. I have been restoring neglected or abused classic cars on and off my whole like but this will be my first Italian.

The Mondial looks good and only has 22,000 original miles. It has only had 2 owners and was taken off the road because of a "stuck clutch" not sure what that means...

The VIN decoding I have done shows it as a Euro Market car. I will be getting to know the car this weekend. Given it hasn't even been started in years, this will be a slow careful process.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Hi there,
    congratulations on the Mondial and welcome to the club.
    We have a pretty bunch of tinkerers here, so don't hesitate asking for help.

Ps. for my personal Mondial Register I own a 82 Mondi 8 as well ,in grey - blue, may I ask for your VIN? Was it originally a Red / ? car?

Best
    Jurgen

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hello,

Welcome to the best place to be when owning a Mondial :)
    Have fun restoring the Mondial. I'm currently doing the same with a Mondial QV. Whenever you're looking for parts, drop me a line.

4. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Stuck clutch common problem with the 308 series if the car has been standing in a damp climate. The driven (friction) plate glues itself to the flywheel. If the car is running, you can sometimes free it by starting it in first, driving up through the gears without using clutch, and then when you get to 4th gear around 50 mph depress clutch pedal and repeatedly floor the gas pedal until it breaks loose. Obviously you need to be driving someplace with little/no traffic and no stop signs. And it assumes the clutch hydraulics are working properly ... something you can't really tell unless you watch the slave while someone depresses the pedal. If the hydraulics are shot (another common problem) the pedal should be soft and the clutch will obviously not operate.

Main thing to be cautious of is the timing belt condition and correct indexing. Fuel lines (high and low pressure) are another thing that can ruin your day.

You should also plan to go through the electrics these are also dodgy, check and clean all fuses relays and connections.

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Congratulations! It is a beauty. You'll find that this is one of the most welcoming and friendly places to hang your hat at.

Good Luck and please let us know of your progress. These cars need folks like you that appreciate these cars and put the proper attention to them.

As Russ said - make sure you take a look at electrics - they can be very dodgy after years of neglect/non use

Cheers

6. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Yes, that's true !
    Congratulations !

7. PolarGlade

PolarGlade Rookie

Jul 29, 2016
    #7 PolarGlade, Jul 29, 2016
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Jurgen, here is the VIN. I'm not really sure of the year to be honest, the owner said '81 but the title says '82.

8. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Yes, it's a european car, produced in March 1981

9. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Just like mine,,, a 1981....

Do you have ARB, stickers on your door jamb...?
    Catalytic converters...?

Nice car.

Edwardo

10. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    I have a Mondial 8 as well happy ferraring.

11. PolarGlade

PolarGlade Rookie

Jul 29, 2016
    I don't remember seeing any stickers in the jambs, what should I be looking for? As for cats, I don't think it does. I will take another look tonight and post the answer. If they are not easily identifiable on these cars I may need a little help.

Cant wait to hear it finally wake up after such a long time.

12. PolarGlade

PolarGlade Rookie

Jul 29, 2016
    #12 PolarGlade, Jul 29, 2016
    Took a snip of what mine looks like as far as I can tell. If anyone wants to take a stab at plopping a red circle where the cat(s) would be, I will have a look.

If Euro-Spec cars didn't have them, that might be a problem here in Colorado as I have emissions testing to get through. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

13. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not sure about 8's but the cats are very easy to see on a QV. They're "stacked" one right in front of the other directly behind the rear bumper, more or less. You can crawl under the rear of the car and look, or run it up a lift. People often pull them and put a straight pipe in their place with the QV's. But again, not sure if it's the same set-up on an 8.

As for Colorado requirements around emissions and euro cars, if you can't find a Mondial owner based there maybe try a regional forum, or the 308 forum (same engine and more owners so better chance of a CO owner being there).

Big congrats on your car and welcome to the Mondial club! It looks very nice. I think they're some of the coolest Ferrari's ever made.

Best
    Dave

14. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Hi there and welcome!!

Congrats on the new car!!!

Like you, my son and I have been restoring cars for a while - mostly old VWs.

The Mondial was our first trip into the exotic world.

Turns out, these are relatively simple cars to work on. And, there is a huge amount of advice and "how-to" here in this and the 3x8 forums.

One bit of advice - don't let the Ferrari parts prices scare you. some of the engine components are shared with other makes. Fuel injection system, alternator, injectors, ac compressor, etc. My alternator died and Ferrari quoted something like $2K for a replacement. I had a local generator shop rebuild it for $100. I've pulled fuel injectors from a junkyard (MB 190E uses the same injectors as my QV).

Welcome to the club!! When you get her running you will find these are great cars. What a blast to own and drive!!

Sid

15. PolarGlade

PolarGlade Rookie

Jul 29, 2016
    #15 PolarGlade, Jul 29, 2016
    Great Info from all of you.

Also, this may sound like a dumb question but are my tail lights (yellow and red) installed backwards? All of the ones I see have the yellow ones are on the outside.

16. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The clutch plate rusts onto the flywheel. I would recommend spraying some WD-40 in between those parts. You can access through the bellhousing without taking anything apart.

Instead of driving the car on the road, place the rear end on jack stands. Spool up the rear wheels a bit, then apply the clutch, and brakes at the same time. The clutch plate should break loose.

17. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    congrats! Come to Automezzi on August 14th.

18. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #18 davemqv, Jul 29, 2016
    Kinda looks that way! My car...

19. PolarGlade

PolarGlade Rookie

Jul 29, 2016
    I have only found one other Mondial on the internet so far that looks like mine with the red on the outside. I wonder what other things the PO decided should be...different?

Love the look of the black btw. Nice car man.

20. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #20 Wade, Jul 29, 2016
    Congratulations on your 8!

The cats (item H in the diagram), sometimes called Thermal Reactors, are under the trunk if you have them. If so, there's a slightly trapezoidal sheet of stainless that covers them. Check page N2 in the Workshop Manual.

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #21 Wade, Jul 29, 2016
  22. PolarGlade

PolarGlade Rookie

Jul 29, 2016
    Thanks Wade!

I cant wait to get home and take a look. I'll let you know what I see.

23. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Congrats and welcome!

Whatever it takes to get it on the road will be worth it, trust me!

And, of course, do not be tempted to start it until you have replaced the timing belts (sounds like it sat for a loooong time) and checked everything out.
    Alden

24. PolarGlade

PolarGlade Rookie

Jul 29, 2016
    Thanks for the welcome!

I am going to take my time and give it a thorough inspection and service before starting it even though the PO said the 15,000 mile service was done at 20k it has 22k on it now. Those belts wont be staying.

25. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    #25 Jeka, Jul 30, 2016