Best 275 4Cam Distributor Curve | FerrariChat

Best 275 4Cam Distributor Curve

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Colombo1, Jul 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Colombo1

Colombo1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2009
    Does the (S85A) distributor advance curve specified in the 2cam service manual apply equally well to the 4cam engine? Or is there a different setup, perhaps similar to the Daytona's more gradual curve, that you have found works better overall?

Any experienced advice to get me on the right track will be much appreciated.

2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    This is a confusing subject. 4 Cams were built with both S85A 15 degree and S85E 9 degree distributors. Check the plate on the side of your's to see what you have. Also, the flywheels are different, one marked AF10 for the S85A and one marked AF24 for the S85E. I have seen cars with the flywheels and distributors mixed up and they run very poorly. Both setups work, but overall, the S85A combination gives the smoothest performance. We used to get complaints about what we called "4 Cam leap", where the car would bog off the line and then suddenly take off as the rpm came up. Switching to S85A distributors and initial timing settings usually cured this problem.

3. Colombo1

Colombo1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2009
    Thank you for your response. Then, to clarify, are you recommending that I use the curve shown in the 2cam service manual? It has a maximum advance of 15 degrees occurring at 2000 RPM (distributor speed).

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    you need to determine which distributor is in the car first.

5. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Standard S85A advance curve (as shown in the 275 manual) is fine.

6. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Dyke, I am curious as to how closely you'd match the left/right distributor curves. Thanks in advance.

john

7. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    John: The factory was usually happy if the curves were within a couple of distributor degrees of each other. My friend Dave North has really gotten into these distributors and gets them almost EXACTLY together all the way up the rev range. I have gotten lazy, and let him set them up for me now.

8. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    #8 246tasman, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Get the engine or car on the dyno and find the optimum timing/advance to suit the best (and most consistent) fuel you can now run on. Then get your distributors modified (if necessary) to produce the right advance curve and reinstall them at what you've determined to be the correct static timing.
    Obviously check everything else is right first and get the jetting spot on too whilst doing the dyno test.
    Why on earth not do this on a multi million dollar car?

9. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Thanks Dyke. Your friend can probably do it quickly by now, but it does take a long time to get them perfectly matched.

john

10. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    John: No, it takes everybody a long time. No shortcuts to get good results. He has made sleeves and various shims to alter the advance curve in very small increments.

11. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Dyke, can his mods take the full advance beyond 15 degrees? By how much?

john

12. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    John: Yes, you can go beyond 15 degrees, but there is no reason to do that. On the dyno, the engines always make the most power at 38-41 degrees total advance (inside plug motors like 41, outside plug like 38 degrees). If anything, you might want less centrifugal advance and more static advance for better low end response. However, with more static advance comes more load on the starter on hot starts. I think the factory got it right the first time.

13. Colombo1

Colombo1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2009
    Interesting….. It appears that adjusting the curve toward the lines of the Daytona could improve performance. That is, 2 degrees more static advance with a flatter rise to a maximum distributor advance of 13 degrees. Yielding a 38 degree total crank advance.

14. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    I have found that even a variation of 0.25 N/mm on the spring rating can throw the curve right off! (on the weaker longer spring).

15. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Raising spring tension can be done by dropping shims inside the sleeves, but I'd be interested in knowing how Dyke's friend lowers tension.

john