what should i drive? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

what should i drive?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by 95spiderman, Aug 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    ^^^^ What he said!

S

2. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    In that case, I'd go 458. Given your experience level, I'll assume you are snapped in on the right preparation and maintenance before and after, and know enough to look it over in between sessions. With that, you're probably good to go.

Also, depending on your specific taste in cars/specs/options, and the inevitable mileage and use of the car, it probably opens you up to more potential used 458's as purchase options - i.e. you're not looking for a garage queen with a specific stitch style. I would opt for the race seats if they are comfortable for the cruising part.

Last, just as an "investment suggestion", I'd line up a coaching day with one of the (real)(pro)(credible) instructors from the Ferrari driving program - not because it's the Ferrari program, but these guys are the best in that platform and are amazing instructors and coaches. Feel free to PM if you need introductions. Even as an expert, it's amazing what you can learn and improve with someone who's good at this stuff.

Most 458's out there have some form of 3M protection, I'd suggest you do the windshield, ours seemed to be more "delicate" in terms of pitting

Keep us posted please

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  4. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    The AMG GT-R checks a number of those boxes but there aren't many track reviews out on it yet.

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Amg is pretty cool even in base trim but little bit claustrophobic. R version will be a killer on track but probably $250k minimum which is too much for track car.

Ive loved Scud forever but its little too loud and f1 trans and susp rough for long hiway drive. And bit old now for reliability and warranty.

Guess its 458 at top of list so far. Would definitely take higher milage, either red, white, sliver over black and cruise control as only mandatory option. Are sport seats adjustable backrest? Im sick of fixed back in lotus. And would want at least 1 yr warranty too. Should be plenty to choose from in next yr or so when im ready

please keep advice coming. Thanks

6. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Unicorn hunt. All fast cars driven on track will have issues at the track sooner or later. Tire issues, brake issues, other issues. The track is a harsh environment when the car is driven hard and fast and you will eventually wish you had trailered, as that's the way you're going home. No matter what I drive, I always trailer to the track. And I have tried 991 GT3, ACR, Elise, MP4-12C, Gallardo, Radical, many flavor of Miata, C6Z06, other Vipers and more.

7. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    is the Jag F-Type coupe R a silly suggestion?

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Jag is nice but would want either dct or maybe stick. Auto trans is deal breaker for me

not a fan of trailering for many reasons, not least is my local road is a parkway that doesn't allow them, no where to put one at house, etc

9. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
  10. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I've piped in too much already....but given what you say you want, a 991 GT3 sounds like the ticket. Bulletproof, very track worthy, you can "tweak" them without making them painful for the road, plenty of support.... and increasing supply of used ones, mostly spec'd nicely. (avoid the one-piece carbon seats, which interestingly are what the market seems to covet; so one without should be cheaper)

also, I hear you against trailering. I had no room at my house, I found a place nearby I could park the trailer outside, and leave the car inside had I wanted. Of course, requires a tow vehicle, but that's a good excuse to get a Cayenne Turbo. The only hassle bigger than having to deal with a trailer after a DE day is trying to find a way home when/if your car breaks on a Sunday somewhere outside Elmira (or, Monticello, or Louden, or Millville, or Danville, etc).

991 GT3 vs. 458 vs. R8 are all different points of the compass in terms of driving dynamics. Again, a fun option would be to do the 1-2 day Porsche program in Barber, you can track the TTS, GT3, GT4 and compare first hand with a nice program wrapped around it, then go back and find a good used version that suits you.

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Please keep chiming in. I appreciate what you have to say. Yes gt3 is obvious choice but I had a 997 for 4 years so looking for variety

12. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Not much mention of the McClaren 570, is think that's a very strong option. Otherwise a M4 with the dinan upgrade would be a very good option and save you quite a bit of money (100k). The Ferrari is close to the heart but you could use the extra 70-100k for so many other fun add ons! F1 race anywhere in the world, a full year racing in skip barber, just saying...

13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Isnt r8 or huracan rwd with na v10 better than turbo 570? And the mc doors make too much of a scene.
    having said all that I do like it

14. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    The R8 is great, but feels ponderous compared to the 570 (though caveat, I have not driven them both on the same track). 570 has that sharp, clinical McLaren feel and more than enough power. 570 is actually a good choice. In fact, an MP4-12C with the updated software is a good option.

Huracan? I have not driven a street version on the track, let alone the RWD version. However, the ST car is an absolute monster...to the point of being too much perhaps for what you're looking for? Even if the street car backs it off by 30% and adds AWD....

Again, just to be realistic, we are comparing 2-3-4 year old exotics (i.e. new, expensive, all that) for duty as track cars that are livable on the commute. For cars that are typically advertised with some sort of "no compromises!!" message, any of these as primary track weapons IS a compromise, though they do drive nicely on the roads.

Have you a considered building a GS-spec, 4.0l Cayman with PDK for the track? As another comparison, the money you save off a (458, etc etc) would fund you storing the car and probably paying for someone to tow the car up/back to most track events in the northeast, and/or allow you to have a team (eg. DeMan) support you down south in the winter (Daytona, Sebring, etc etc weekends).

15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Get a Toyota 86 and go have a blast

16. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Hey Spidey, its Ron (Black Lotus cup car from lightning two weeks ago)

I think you want a 991 GT3. It's not perfect, but it's the closest you are going to get for your stated mission. Best part is you can drive it 8-9 tenths all day long and be faster than most things out there, so it can last for the way home.

Cheers,

Ron

17. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Cayman is good idea but would go ferrari challenge for sure if trailering. Actually, once looked into making a 430 spider into a 333sp inspired track car. Those 2 options would be my retirement prize to use in ny and miami. Maybe in another 10 yrs but unfortunately not yet :(

18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Or since it is HPDE a Turbo all wheel drive and be a trackday hero when it rains too. Lots of rain East of the Mississippi. I learned that last year. My next race at mid-o in september and I actually have to hassle bringing rain tires...it never rains in California.

19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    991tt is perfect except for the awful engine sound. And aftermarket only makes the bad sound louder which is not a good thing so thats out for me.

Im now pretty certain that 458 is the one for me

20. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Hi ron. Was very nice meeting you
    how the engine doing?

21. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    For wha it's worth and I know you want something different, a 991 gt3 is very different from a 997 gt3. Have you driven a 991?

22. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    I spoke to some AMG reps at car week about the GTR, they said it will carry about a 40k premium over the GTS so it will come in well under 200k optioned out. I did get to play around with it and it sounds killer! also the new t/c system is pretty cool, although as an expert you might just turn it all off anyways.

23. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    not that expert. only car with esp I ever tracked was Nissan gtr and I liked having it. can use it as a teaching tool also. see where and why it comes on then try to change approach to corner.

I cannot imagine the super limited amg gt r will be under 200k. bet it has a 50k dealer markup but will check it out. thanks

24. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    oh cool, in the AMG GTR there are many incremental of t/c intervention once you turn the t/c off, so you can fine tune how much t/c you want.

I heard it will not be a limited production car and will have many model year run.

I have an F430, also fun on the track but not great for cruising. 458 should be much better

good luck with your choice!

25. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    Mostly what he said, except for the DCT part. Semi-manuals are faster around a race track, but that's not my goal when I go to a track day. My goal is to leave a better driver than when I got there and there's simply nothing to be proud of that you didn't miss a shift all day because you were successfully able to click the up and down buttons correctly.

So a four-door M3 with a proper manual gearbox is exactly what I use. Plenty of room for all the necessary track supplies plus my wife and her stuff for nights out in Austin when we're not at COTA.

If you think M3's are too common and you want that extra bit of power then you could take a chance on an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. Same 4 door room, Ferrari-related and an available manual gearbox. But reliability is going to be an unknown and I'm guessing that replacement parts are going to be more. But it's cheap compared to your stated budget so you'll have quite a bit left over for the stuff that wears out.