What do you think constitutes high mileage? | FerrariChat

What do you think constitutes high mileage?

Discussion in '360/430' started by I'm 360 Canuck, Aug 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    As the years have passed, obviously the rule of "anything over 9999miles is high" doesn't seem appropriate.
    What do you think the "average" mileage marker is at, as well as the "high mileage" line?
    I'll throw my own thought out, that I think around the 25-35k miles seems pretty common....50+ is on the high side. N.B., this is by no means suggesting these cars be put out to pasture, just a generalization on the market.
    Thoughts?

2. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    80,000 miles and up should be the new marker for high miles as the 360 model matures even more IMHO.

3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think you're right 9999 was once the benchmark (at least in this community), but time has moved on. Maybe 20K? Unfortunately (or not) we still see many cars 99-09 with mileages below 10K, so what do new owners seek out -low mileage.
    If you look at Porsches and many Lambos of the same vintage, the mileages are much higher. 60K for Porsches, 40K for Lambos. This is entirely subjective by watching for-sale listings.
    So it seems that we all keep mileages artificially low for some reason... resale(?).

4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    To me, 15k is the new 10k, and above 25k is getting up there - 30k is "high miles" by F-car standards on the 360...

5. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    80k miles

6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    360's are between 11 and 17 years of age. Even 2000 miles per year (a whopping 40 miles per week) would be 22,000 to 34,000 miles by this time.

<rant on>If the rain hasn't melted the ferrari by this age, driving it that much surely will. Where I live we call horses "pasture pets" because they sit around and do nothing owned by people with no interest in riding them. I've started calling Ferrari's "garage pets"* in a similar vein.<rant off>

*its the nicest thing I could think of, although several other "real" reasons for owning these cars do come to mind...

7. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    to me there is under 20k and over 20k, of course I have a simple mind,,

8. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'd say it would have to be over 40K miles for me to even begin considering it "high mileage". But I've seen 10K cars that look beat up that I would never consider - let's call them "rough mileage". I guess what I'm getting at is that I consider way more than the odometer for car purchases.

9. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014
    Over 50,000 on a 360 would be high in my mind

10. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    This.

40K for me. I couldn't even begin to think how someone could have a car like this sit in a garage and drive it for 20 miles in a week. Sacrilegious.

11. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The 360 is a high production car, in Ferrari world, drive as many miles as you like, it will never be a collector.
    We should start to see more and more cars over the 50K threshold.

Honestly, those that can afford drive, those that can't sit at home, admire the car and worry about miles, its true.

12. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    80k imo. Wouldn't dream of touching a car thats around 15 years old with less than 40k. Cars need to be ran and serviced regularly and you're asking for problems when buying a garage queen than isn't run up to temp on a regular basis and all seals as gaskets to expand and contract as they should.

As the old addage goes with classic cars (and the 360 is becoming a classic now with similarities to the dino in years to come in my opinion), its not the mileage that matters, more the service history and frequency of use.

13. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
  14. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Why purchase a "CAR" that you will not drive?
    - Worry about resale value?
    - Car will have issues?
    - Your purpose for purchasing a beautiful car is to just "Look" at it in your garage?

It is a question of real purpose of purchasing a Ferrari. Some are different than others. Some of us love working on our cars because you LOVE it and you CAN do it. For a guy like me with less skills to work on cars, I drive it, have fun and enjoy owning one.

If you do not want to put miles because it might hurt the resale value, then you do not
    own the car but holding an investment. Enjoy of driving is not there. There's nothing wrong.

It is a personal thing where I see so many garage queens of 360, 355's are coming out these days as they have been sitting in the garage for a long time. Probably most of those cars were purchased at $50K when they hit the bottom. Now with low miles, you could get $90K or even more if you were lucky to get a gated shifter. You are actually making money on cars...

Whether I have a new 488 or LaFerrari, I will still drive them as they are "CARS" to me. Not an investment. I love driving and driving these beautiful cars give me excitements and joy, which fit the purpose of owning them. I used to change cars every 2 years but stopped that behavior and decided to drive, enjoy the car more. I am totally happy with my 430 Spider and plan to keep it forever where I will add newer or ones that I like in the future.

For us, car enthusiasts purchase these F-cars because we do not see cars as a simple transportation method. We value cars, love cars and should drive whatever that grabs your attention.

Yes. 80K miles on a Ferrari could be different than majority of Ferraris on the market. However, they are still cars and cars were developed and meant to be driven. We do now own concept cars which will be a different story.

15. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    For the 360/430 era of cars 50k kilometers is the high mark for me.

16. ddenboer

ddenboer Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    David denBoer
    I'm looking at one with 66k miles. I consider it high, at least in terms of comparable, but I also plan on putting 2000 miles a month on it

17. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    my 360 ran better at 60,000 miles then it did at 40,000, they get better with age.

18. John246

John246 Karting

May 14, 2010
    New Zealand.
    Full Name:
    John Skevington
    Just use them, and forget the mileage. How can you get enjoyment out of watching your car sitting in the garage scared that the mileage will creep up. I went to a friends funeral last week who purchased his 360 Spider new here in NZ. He suffered a massive cardiac arrest a couple of weeks ago. He really enjoyed his car, and was about to order a new 488 Spider to sit along side it. He would still love to be here to enjoy it! We use our own 360 Spider regularly, as we do our Dino 246 too. You can still keep them in mint condition and use them too!

19. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    My 355 has over 70k miles
    My 550 has 20k miles.

The 355 drives fantastic...the 550 needed a lot of maintenance from just being unused.

If I could go back, I would've bought a higher mileage 550 that was driven more than 1500 miles per year.

20. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Agreed! They're just cars...they're meant to be enjoyed.

On your deathbed I doubt you will be wishing you drove your Ferrari less.

21. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    That is for sure!

I had a near experience earlier this year and the first things I thought about were how glad I was about buying the Ferrari and the "quitting" my job decision lasted all of about a millisecond. I was going to drive the Ferrari a LOT and see the world!

I am hoping high mileage is far north of 38,000 miles...

It's really fascinating the obsession with mileage on these cars. NOBODY was discussing mileage of the California spiders at this years Amelia Island that I heard... Doesn't seem to matter.

22. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Would want less the 60k. We need to drive these things... My F430 has 42k on it

23. awacsdavid

awacsdavid Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    OKC, OK
    Full Name:
    Dave H.
    I agree that cars are bought to be driven, and my wife and I drive our cars. On the weekend, we intentionally take one of our "fancy" cars out to stretch their legs, usually ends up being about 100 miles. Even though we were selective in the cars we bought, we have no fear of putting some miles on the cars.
    Our "fancy" cars are:
    1998 Ferrari 355F1 Spider - Mileage = 19,000
    2004 Ferrari 360 Spider - Mileage = 23,000
    2004 Lamborghini Gallardo - Mileage = 26,000
    2008 Porsche 987 Limited Edition - Mileage = 16,000

I guess if the miles become an issue, we would either decide to stop driving them or sell them.

24. Formula1r

Formula1r Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    You need to drive that poor 355 more often.....

25. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Maybe approach it from from average engine rebuild mileage. Obviously the closer your model of Ferrari is to average engine rebuild mileage your might consider it high mileage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk