F1 to manual | Page 6 | FerrariChat

F1 to manual

Discussion in '348/355' started by cavallo95, Aug 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Wow is all I can say.

2. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Agree. Wow. Another perfect example of where actual experience trumps perceived knowledge. The comment regarding the competency level at the dealership has some bearing. How many of today's younger techs actually know anything about diagnostics? I'll give you that F1 diagnostics can be challenging at times. But, with the proper equipment and an understanding of precisely how these systems work, they can be repaired. It may not be fast or inexpensive, but the outcome will be positive.

My congrats to you Sahal. You have tremendous patience.

3. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    a
    I just got off the phone with Reina International in Wi, I have not spoke to to Ignazio since they shipped the car to Continental and washed their hands of it.
    so I think her was quite supprized to hear from me and that I still don't have my car back.
    I asked if he had a sd scanner and replied No! " that's an expensive piece of equipment"

so I proceded telling him how disappointed I was with the way he left me basically stranded with a huge problem wile they got paid an i never even got my car home.

I asked if you can properly scan and bleed, set up the f1 system manually an
    he replied yes of course,those pumps fail all the time.... so I asked him is it possible it was done wrong and maybe the pump ran dry did not prime correctly ?....he replied "its impossible I do it all the time"

so at this point I told him I'm really not happy and expect him to pay for the labor for Continental , of course he freaked out! and refused , so at this point I am ready to take legal action , do I have a case? we shall see.
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've been saying this from the start. I feel bad for the OP as he was spending good money with poor results....

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I see the same pattern forming here, people who don't know how to work on the F1 system should just leave it alone! :(

If he hasn't got and SD2, how does he bleed it and how can he reset the clutch PIS setting, telling the ECU that the clutch plate has been replaced and there is 0% wear on the new clutch? :confused:

Very disappointing to hear and I hope you make a case against them and you have a win Cavallo.

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    If he can and does it all the time, why did you need to ship your car to another shop - that is what you should have asked him....

Very bad situation. Very sorry for you..

I'm due for fluid change in my F1 and no way in hell am I going to screw up my perfectly running F1 by not using an SD or equivalent.

7. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    And fwiw I never said or have anything negative to say towards f1 trans, I actually like it, I hope its clear now why I did what I did, it was mostly out of 5 months of frustration and to never deal with the same situation again.

8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    +355

I agree also tired of the bad press. Mine is still on the original pump, replaced two lines that were leaking very little over the last 10 years. I know I coukd have fixed it for far less than this conversion cost the OP.

I also bottom car hard wih worn mounts and smashed the actuator, fixed the actuator bushing and all is fine.

Like all systems you must understand it or its like driving with no engine oil and ignoring the light.

Most people decide to not understand it and it bites them in th ass.

9. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, never change the F1 to a manual under any condition.

I only read up to post number 11. I'm not a lawyer but this is rather com sense. A job performed on a specific problem resulting in creating another problem, the customers have to prove otherwise. In this case it is the failure of the F1 system. Until a resolution is resolved, you, the customer should not alter the condition of the faied item in any way. By unilaterally changing out the F1 system, you, the customers have no way to prove the failure was due to the contracted party workmanship. Depending on states law and the amount of $$$ in question, you, the customers can sue the contracted party in small claim court without a lawyer. I caution depending on the state law, the defendant may counter sue you, the customer for lost time and lawyer fees if he has one representing him in the event you lost the case. I would seek advice further before acting

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    He is correct you can do it and I dont doubt he does it all the time.

He does it WRONG.

It can be done and a lot of us have done it. Then all of us that I know actually take it to a dealer and get them to set it up with the sd.

This is why are friggin F1s get a **** rap. It was said previously people who do not understand the system should keep their hands off it.

I hope you sue them and I hope you win. I would love to see a factory rep sit on the witness stand and tell these people they are not as smart as they think and now they have to pay.

Talk to Guido I recall he knows a good one. All I can say is FRACK.

11. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I am no lawyer....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :)

Given that the car failed, and you did not give Reina a chance to make it right before ejecting to Continental, I suspect your recourse with Reina is limited.

And Tasz355 and others are correct. People dinking with the F1 system that do not understand it cause an awful lot of angst. In fact people dicking with the system that DO understand it cause problems too.

Lakeforest wanted $12k to fix mine. All it needed was a $200 system bleed. I wonder how many cars received the same treatment from Lakeforest only to have the owner curse & swear and write the check. Surely some showing up here posting about the $12,000 F1 repair they just had and the F1 system sucks.

Sadly something happened to the OP F1 system. Truth is it is a 20 year old design and is as basic a system as you can imagine. Easy stuff in today's world. Bit surprised Continental could not sort it all out.

12. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    In post 106 he gives a little more detail on the events and he said Reina had the car for a month after the F1 went out and couldn't fix it and they asked him if they could send it to Continental for diagnosis.

13. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Ah.. I missed that part of the story.

14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Inthink there is a lot of F1 systems that are not working correcly because every time I take my car in the mechanics say hiw nice the F1 works compared to others.
    I think mine works correctly, and many of us do not have a point of reference unless you have driven one that is setup right.

Its too bad so many are not setup correct because when they are they are nice.

15. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    #140 cavallo95, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well.....shes back finally after nearly 6 months.
    Let me tell all you skeptical guys about my decision...its fn awesome , the car shifts like a new car , i previously owned a 97 manual, well this one shifts much better and smoothly, even though the conversion was not cheap ...is was well worth it .
    I would like to thank Gary and the tech Jeff at Continental for doin an outstanding job , even though they never converted a car before.
    Here are some pics of when i got it home and finished cleaning up, all i need now is a new hvac decal cover and im all set, man i love this car...even more so now.
    Now thats a pretty lil bastard, hahahah ..;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
  17. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
  18. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    #143 cavallo95, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    sweet :) enjoy the manual transmission....

20. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    Its awesome thx

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Glad you are pleased with the outcome. I see your HVAC panel is bubbling.....

As a show of support, send me an email with your address and I will send you an overlay on the house :)

Tarek307 likes this.
  22. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    Oh wow Dave that would be awesome, i was gonna order one , thank you so much. Tony.

23. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very cool you have it back and are very happy with it mate. :)

Hoping you enjoy the weekend driving it around. :)

24. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Dave!! YOU ARE THE MAN!!! :D:D

How generous of you! :):)

25. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007