spend $5000 on a warranty? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

spend $5000 on a warranty?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Ferrari_CA, Aug 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #26 4th_gear, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't recall having to do that. You just have to "Go Advanced", then scroll down to the "Additional Options" panel where the "Manage Attachments" button is located, below the "Reply to Thread" panel.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MBi

MBi Rookie

May 9, 2016
    New York
    Get the warranty since you have a 2012. I know the guy who posted about the 35K transmission replacement cost. I was actually with him when the dealer called back. At first he left it with the dealer and they asked for authorization to put up to 50 miles on it to figure out the issue. Then he missed the call from service and they left a message to call back. I agree 35K seems too high we first looked on the forum and saw quotes of $25-29K. Right now he's still waiting for Ferrari's response but the dealer said don't expect much even though he also owns a 2014 GTS . The quote was from Ferrari Maserati Long Island. I will update with what happens. Whether Ferrari says % off or they flat out say no and he pays for a rebuild. If he goes the rebuild option should he ask for the original to be rebuilt or to just get a new rebuilt one from the factory/ Getrag? Wouldn't rebuilding the original defective transmission leave the potential for it happening again. Dealer never mentioned any warranty if they were to rebuild the transmission when service spoke to him.

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    He would probably interested in reading some of these recent threads. They seem to indicate that it is often a sensor that goes bad inside the transmission as opposed to an actual mechanical failure of the gearbox. Unfortunately it seems to require a lot of disassembly to get to the failed sensor and it is a steep learning curve to be able to put it back together properly, so not all dealerships have a technician trained to do so. It would be worth trying to determine whether there is a dealership versed in these transmissions to see if they can repair it more reasonably -- if the car is in NY, perhaps Miller in CT has the know-how.

The downside, of course, is that there's no guarantee the replaced sensor won't fail again down the road -- or that the sensor in the new transmission won't fail eventually. That's assuming it is the sensor and not something else.

4. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #29 MDEL, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When I bought my 2010 Cali with 11000 miles she was perfect mechanically and for 5 months no issues whatsoever happened. Suddenly from day to night I noticed at low speed in automatic a jump on the gear passage from 2nd to 3rd but the gearbox failure light didn't show. This phenomenon happened intermittently three more times during a period of two months and I decided to take the car to the dealer for an evaluation. The evaluation was made under the existing extended warranty and with Ferrari factory supervision, and after one month of testing they validated the problem as being the intermittent failure of the gearbox/transmission DCT main shaft and authorized the repair.

The cost of the faulty sensor is almost nothing when compared with the work that's involved into removing, repairing and putting back the DCT. All the bottom panels of the car have to be removed, parts of the exhaust have to be taken away as well as the rear bumper. Because all the rear axle where the DCT sits has to come down in order that it can be removed, the back wheels and the brake discs and calipers also have to be removed. In my Cali's specific case just the labor involved on all the work done to diagnose, remove, repair and putting back the DCT amounts to approximately 8000 USD and the total repair final cost will be close to 11000 USD. Because where I live a one year extended warranty has a cost less than 3000 USD, just this single repair represents close to four years cost of extended warranties. The moral of the story is always have an extended warranty because that's like an insurance and the type of sensor problem described can happen to any Cali of any year. If you think the extended warranty your dealer is offering you is too expensive try alternative dealers that have cheaper options and have been suggested by Cali owners in other threads posted here about the same subject.

I post some photos that show the amount of work and the complexity involved in the removal and putting back of the Cali's DCT.

5. maxvonauto

maxvonauto Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2015
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Everyone might want to verify that any warrentee policy covers the excess accumulation of heavy deposits on the port side of intake valves on direct injection engines. Ferraris are slow to uncover this design flaw as most drive so few miles. However, any F cars with DI approaching 30k miles and over will most certainly suffer the same fate as GDI BMWs, Audis, Minis, and some domestic models ( just google BMW intake valve deposits for a quick explanation). The early symptoms are rough cold starts, random missfire, drivability issues, low performance, etc, even with no CEL! Some checks are unusual short and long term fuel trims. Ultimately, a quick borescope inspection tells the story. This can be done in less than 15 minutes. Most repairs involves removal of the intake manifold followed by individual port blasting with walnut shells. Unfortunatly, most manufactures do not consider this process a warrentee issue and there's no real fix, meaning the whole procedure must be repeated every 25k miles or so. The process itself pioneered by BMW is not that complicated. However, the time and labor associated with intake manifold removal and reinstallation on typical F cars can be quite high. In addition, Ferrari has yet to release a factory approved procedure so dealers are without technical direction. As time and miles roll up this will be a significant issue IMO. Your dealer should be able to check the condition of your intake valves by removing one clamp to release the throttle body and then snaking a borscope down the nearest couple intake ports, very quick and very revealing if you have a higher mileage DI Ferrari.

6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I've been away from the thread for a few days, sorry if it was answered. Brake squeak is EASY to fix. Take her up to about 80 mph, or 140 mph, whatever, stand on the brakes as HARD AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN, all the way to a stop, the squeak will go away. The previous owner was babying the Cali, simple as that. If you are limited to 60 mph then you may need to do it two or three times.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Mark, my 30+ years of experience with BMWs and information about direct injection engines concurs with yours. BMW used to be the primary user of this engine design but many other makers including Ferrari and Lamborghini also use GDI engines now. The problem of coking or carbon build-up on and around the intake valves is a nasty side effect of the way direct injection works. I had to do the walnut treatment on one of my cars once but the M62TUB44 V8 unit managed to avoid this problem even after 15 years of driving.

If companies like BMW, Mazda, Ford and Lamborghini do not warranty their GDI engines from this problem, it's unlikely Ferrari will do so on its own.

Apparently Lamborghini designed the Huracan's V10 with both direct and multiport injection, possibly as a solution to this problem. That V10 seems to be a really sweet engine. I test drove one a while back and almost bought it but unfortunately I didn't like the very predictable repetitive, somewhat boring sound track of the Huracan's exhaust.

8. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    Easy answer if you're buying it new or from the dealer don't bother with the warranty.

If you're getting it from a private seller or non-Ferrari dealer buy 1 year. Typically all the issues and gremlins will quickly show themselves in the first year and be covered. After that the issues will probably be limited to wear and tear items that aren't covered under the warranty anyways.

my .02

9. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    $5,000 is a lot better than 10-25

10. Rockman1

Rockman1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Just bought a 2012 Cali today with 8K miles -- the dealer through in a one year warranty that covers engine and transmission as part of the deal.

From a purely expected value approach. Most likely / expensive failure is gearbox which costs about $27K - $30K to replace. So $5K warranty would imply that you need to expect greater than 20% chance for this to occur within the next year for this to make sense. Other than anecdotals, "warranty saved me a ton of money" or "warranty was a complete waste" I have seen no objective statistics on this outcome.

We bought a 430 about five years ago as a third car. Given low mileage (2 - 3K per year) warranty probably not worth it. The Cali I bought today will be daily driver do upping annual miles from 2K / year to 10K. Thinking it's worth it - at least for the first year.

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Why would they sell a warranty if the actuaries figured it wasn't in their best interest?

12. carmelostarks

carmelostarks Rookie

Jul 9, 2015
    I have a 2010 Cali that i bought and in one year i had 2 roof issues & variator issues that cost me around 20K total, I'm not even looking at another Cali without warranty

13. Berold

Berold Rookie

Dec 11, 2014
    I have a 2013 Ferrari California. I actually opted to get the additional 2 years of warranty and I'm glad I did! about 5 months in to first year, I had an issue with catalytic converter which would have cost about $6,500 to repair. It was covered under warranty! You never know what's going to come up with these cars. I feel good that I've got the coverage. Didn't want to risk not having it.

14. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Aren't cats (and other exhaust components) covered by a government mandated 8 or 10 year warranty period in the US?

15. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    Catalytic converters, ECU and OBD computer are covered up to 8 years/80,000 miles and the rest are 2 years/24,000 miles under Federal emissions warranty and some up to their first replacement cycle.

See here from the California ARB for the State and Federal regulations: https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf

16. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    the power warranty cover the engine mount?

17. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I bought it. $4500 for 2 years of peace of mind is worth every penny.

18. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    So it's $4500 for two years now? Thats a deal. I paid $4500 for one year on 12/31/2018. I heard they upped it but this is the first proof I've had.

19. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Yes it’s for two years now

20. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Hell, 4500 for two years is a damn steal!