Goodwood Revival Reminder | FerrariChat

Goodwood Revival Reminder

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ///Mike, Sep 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I posted this in the "Other Racing" section but hopefully the mods won't mind me posting it here as well since it's at least as much of a vintage event as it is a racing event. I no longer watch modern racing because it's pretty much turned into a bunch of spec series, so I don't pay attention to those sections. This is for anyone else in the same boat:

The Goodwood Revival will be live streamed at https://www.goodwood.com/ starting Friday morning local time. Hopefully it'll also be streamed on Youtube as recent Goodwood events have been, since I've found those streams to be more reliable, as well as offering about an hour long buffer for replays.

2. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Going there (only for the third time in a row) as I think you can perhaps see things better from the official stream, but being there allows you to snoop around the paddock and the shelters, talk with the drivers and mechanics, and do some time travel. On Saturday I'll be wearing my late dad's wool suit and shirt from the early 1950's.

And of course there'll be the few 500 TRC's, plenty of 250 GT SWB's, a few GTO's and even a 312T. I think a bit funny choise to have only Austin A30/A35's race in St. Mary's Trophy, but could be a lot of fun for the driver's and spectators. From the list I could see that at least Tom Kristensen, David Coulthard, Rowan Atkinson and Rauno Aaltonen should be in that race. :D

I'll take my hat off to any fchatters who will be there. In fact, because of my hair I don't think I'll even try to wear the hat. Perhaps ruins the period look, but you can't have everything, can you.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    The Kinrara trophy on Friday night will be interesting with all the SWB's and DB4GT's and non lightweight E types

Basically it's the TT for cars still in a specification that broadly resembles how they ran in period. The TT is for all the 450bhp hot rod E types and Cobras.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    I am in the process of getting a ticket for Saturday, if it is not sold out from under me. I am staying in London and will be setting out early in the morning by train. Any suggestions for a newbie would be appreciated. Thank you. Lloyd

5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    WHAT A RACE by Tom Kristensen in the Macari SWB! Sure the safety car helped, but he still drove that SWB superbly! What S/N is that?

6. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Be prepared for rain tomorrow. There is not a lot of protection from bad weather there.

7. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Indeed. He wrung its neck and yet he supposedly had not driven it before morning qualifying.

Love seeing those cars driven *hard*, but it sure hurts seeing one get pranged though.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks so much guys..this is on my Bucket List...

And as the other thread in UK Section shows, my daughter just touched down in London....

Will be watching this all weekend.....cheers!

9. rjanot

rjanot Karting

May 5, 2009
    2973GT, the Tour de France 1962 winner !!! Fantastic car unseen for many years.

10. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    + 365!

11. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thanks. It really is wonderful. Does Macari own it now, or is he selling it?

12. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    I was able to go for Saturday and you are not kidding about there being no place to hide from the rain. Luckily, I had a rain suit with me.

When you arrive to the event the first thing that amazes you is the cars in the parking lot. The parking lot itself would be a prized exhibition in most places. They brought them despite the fact that it was a rain day and parking was in a grassy/muddy field. You next notice that most of the attendees are in period dress. I was a little out of place in my gortex suit. Perhaps proper English tweed has the same rain repellant tendencies, as that was most everyone else was wearing and they seemed unfazed by the rain.

The vintage motorcycle race in the rain was great to watch. However, the best part for me was walking around the outside of the paddock area looking at the vintage Ferraris, Aston Martins, Lotus and Jags. Since I did not have a paddock pass, I thought that I would probably not be able to see anything. This was not correct as the cars are for the most part in a circle of sheds with no sides and you can walk around the rear of these rows of spectacular vehicles. It is not very often that you see 250 GTO's lined up one after another, interspersed with the infamous 250 Breadvan.

While it was unfortunate that the rain was unrelenting on the day I went, it was a memorable day.

13. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    As far as motorsports events go, this one tops my bucket list. Jealous that you were able to get there in person but I did manage to catch most of the coverage. Pity you weren't able to be there on Sunday, as the weather was just about perfect.

14. 8339

8339 Karting

Oct 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I just came back from my first visit to the Goodwood Revival. After attending classic car shows and vintage racing for the last 45 years, this is without a doubt the very best event I have ever been too. My wife and I are lucky enough to have friends who are Goodwood Members so we were able to be involved with everything available. We did dress in period clothing which my wife is now picking out her clothes for the next time.

This has to be a bucket list for anyone who appreciates vintage racing and a flavor for proper British style. The vendors, the vintage parking lot, the vast array of vintage and classic racing cars is beyond belief. 7 Pre-war Grand Prix Alfas, Maseratis, Bugattis, yes three GTOs, 6 to7 SWBs, the breadvan etc, etc. too many to list. These drivers and cars by the way are out to win, they push these cars to the limits which is what they were designed to do.

Start planning now for next year.