Secuderia Rampante coolant hose leaking | FerrariChat

Secuderia Rampante coolant hose leaking

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by peter seow, Sep 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    They were installed 9 months ago.

It's very hard to spot the leak as they have cloth covering

As I check all my fluids every week I noticed the coolant level was down given that I did 500 km weekly. I noticed it fell be a rather consistent amount disputed having a new radiator cap.

I didn't check hoses for some time as I thought these were rather new items. I just can't believe these were the culprits and yes I do have the photos. If someone could help me upload

I would be Glad to send them to their email.

Just drop a pm with your email

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Some of the early sets had problems with hose clamps. Just drop SRI a line and see what they say. If you are saying the hoses themselves have a problem, they would like to hear about that, too.

3. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Tax, Yes it is the hoses them NOT the hose clamp which why I am surprised if it was the hose clamp I won't be posting. It hard to see the weepage as the amount is small.

As its daily driven it's easy to check the issues.

You probably can get a lot more miles than I did without topping up. The level fell by not more than a cup. But I am particular about the correct amount.

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The Scuderia Rampante hoses are a very high quality product and I have never seen one leak, but they are very thick and I have seen leaks occur with them at the hose connections.
    The hose clamps were not tightened enough during original installation, and with time the hose compresses and then it leaks at the connection. Just tightening the clamps fixed the issue.

5. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I couldnt be believe it but yes it's leaking. I noticed that the areas that leaked are the areas that are bent. The two leaking hoses are the ones from the coolant tank. The small hose that runs to back of the and the large one that goes through the hole just below the battery. That's where most of the leak is. The original one leaked out from the same place as well and I pulled it out and changed that one myself.

6. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Tell Dave Helms at SRI, I'm sure he'll take care of the problem: stand up guy.

7. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I got a photo which the shows leak clearly. At this pricing I shouldn't be expecting a leak in 9 months. The original last more than 9 month. It was due to a stress fracture. Given the pricing I won't recommend it to anyone.

Yes the car has been tracked and daily driven.

I am always ready to fix that particular hose so much so that I usually carry a spare hose and special tools for that one its know to go but not in 9 months.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Peter- Something else is wrong besides the hose if it is giving continuous problems. Those hoses have been pretty bulletproof. Check for chafing from rubbing on something.

9. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
  10. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hose 47 shows some signs of weepage its predominantly towards area that have some curvature. The original did not leak there. Weepage was at the area above the exhaust manifold. If 47 does go I will get a custom connector made too much to remove everything I will just cut the bad part off

11. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Does anyone know Davids direct email. I didnt get a reply from Sri.

Thanks

12. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Yep, Dave will def stand behind his products.

13. bikerbob100

bikerbob100 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    Naples/Spider LK, WI
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Dave, replaced all the hoses on my 550. Works great. here is the email
    we used ****************@aol.com

14. bikerbob100

bikerbob100 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    Naples/Spider LK, WI
    Full Name:
    Bob
    ok, email Jason [email protected] at SRI he will help you.
    I bought my 550 from Dave without seeing it. I trust him that much.

15. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks Bob. I have emailed Jason.

16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    where's the picture of this leak?

17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Go back to original :)

18. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Fbb could I drop you an email so I can send you the photos I am not sure how to post photos.

19. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I am in contact with Dave now. He try to arrange for the old one to be shipped back. I have just custom made my hose using my jag xjr hose all went smoothly and a metal pipe. Jag runs a similar cooling the inlet manifold must be removed to add insult to injuries I also need to remove the Supercharger. The same small hose leaks right under it..

20. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Dave stands behind his products and work. I am confused why you posted the problem before even notifying him there was a potential problem with something he sold.

21. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I wanted to say that there was an issue with the product. If there is a defect there is an issue.

If you sell me a new watch and breaks down I am sure I will post it well. Whether or not it was rectified.

I noticed that the problems was that it had a tendency to fracture at the bents.

I won't expect that the kit would give problem. The car is daily driven these two months there must not be any defects. It's out in rain or shine day or night. In between those it's goes for track.

If I knew it would snap I would have modified the hoses straight off. Based on the construction of the silicon hoses. I would not recommend them for the application as a full kit. It needs to come with metal pipes to avoid bends.

They are great for application upfront in the engine leading out from the water pump to the radiator and but not areas requiring bending. Especially out of the coolant tank to the back of the engine.

The hoses do expend and during track days the fracture is usually triggered at that area
    This is a rhd car, lhd maybe different and advise is for rhd cars.

22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #23 fatbillybob, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm a little concerned seeing these pics. I think there is something else going on eating this hose. SRI hoses I have seen are darn good and never look like this especially after only a few months. That hose looks 10 years old! In fact I got 10 year old hoses that look better than than and they are just green stripe gates. Where is the leak? At one of the ends or mid length? Is there something abrading the hose? Is there a perforation or wear through? Airbubble defect in manufacture?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Fbb,

The hose fractured at the portion going into the tunnel. I am not sure if it's a manufacturing defect but when I took that out I noticed it tends to fracture when bent. Now that hose requires bending. The part with the maximum curvature is the part where leak start right at center of the hose.

Those using Sri where bending is must do check out regularly.
    They lose so little water like 200 ml a week on 500 km drives would make it hardly noticeable

I believe Sri hoses would work perfectly off bends. I never had any leak from the parts that are straight. They never showed any stress crack on the straights. They don't leak from the where clamps are as well.

An L shape coolant pipe would solve this problem. The Sri hose not be subjected to pressure at bent areas that's what causes fractures.

24. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Sri product review

1. Service and support from Dave 5*

2. Product application 4* it needs that L shape coolant pipe to work

3. Value for money 3* I can fabricate the rest. If the pipe was included I would give 4*
    It took me an additional 3.5 hours to rectify the issue and swollen arms as well as that area was really a tight fit it really hated to change that particular one.

4. But would I still buy from Dave. Yes because of the outstanding support.