Hurricane Matthew | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hurricane Matthew

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Jack-the-lad, Oct 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Stay safe everyone! Looks like Merritt Island will have the worst storm surge: Hurricane MATTHEW

I'm far away in DC this month, but my brother in east Orlando near UCF is expected to get 70mph-ish winds from 5AM to 7PM tomorrow. 14 hours of that! :eek: I hope everyone comes out okay...

2. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    We have dodged the bullet, eye center stayed far enough offshore to spare us the 100+ winds, we are close enough to get brushed by 74+ , no sweat from that, been there before.
    Still have power here and across the street at my house the wifi is still on, I am on it now.
    Raining hard and blowing sideways, rattling the storm shutters but should sleep ok.
    I will see how it looks in am and let u know.

Gary

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Between the wind and the croaking frogs, sleep was difficult. But I'm not complaining. :)

Still have power for hot coffee with breakfast.

4. 6t7

6t7 Karting

Aug 19, 2012
    Oz
    Full Name:
    Brett
    We watched Hurricane Katrina serve up devestation on you guys and couldn't believe how there didn't seem to be enough resources to help those affected.
    Don't want to witness any thing like that again.
    Stay safe Florida, Australia is praying for you.

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Where are you located on the coast or?

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Here in the 305, it was just a gloomy day.

A pretty decent outer band came through about noon. It produced a 10 minute downpour
    and some wind. I went out to run a quick errand and saw a few downed tree branches but
    other than that, the town looked pretty shuttered up and people were taking it seriously.

Fortunately, that was about it. The rest of the day into evening, it was pretty chill with
    light rains and moderate winds.

Frankly, we've seen far worse downpours (the Thursday night Basel event last year comes to
    mind) and Summer afternoon storms such as one a couple of weeks ago that produced
    a lot of lightning and the warehouse took a direct hit knocking out the phone and Internet
    for six hours.

Nothing like that from Matthew. The lights never flickered and the Internet ran strong
    all day.

BHW

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I'm 15 miles due west of Cape/Port Canaveral. On the edge of Central Florida Swamp Country.

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Thanks, it's working. :)

9. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    All seems good here in Broward.

Praying for everyone north in the expected path.

10. elms

elms Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    DCS
    Stay safe everyone and best wishes from the UK.

11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I hope you made out ok .. my parents had a place for 30 years not far from there on the coast...
    best of wishes

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    We did, amazingly so, considering the enormity of this storm.

Our area has a lot of trees and I was convinced that a power outage would be the minimum. So far, only flickers.

My son in law, with his wife and 2 sons (10 and 11), evacuated to my house. After just an overnighter, they left an hour ago. Their older home in Palm Bay faired just as well.

Thanks!

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Kevin, how'd you fair in Orlando? I'm hearing that there are more power outages in central FL then in the coastal areas.

14. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Power flickered just three times over past 18 hours...off for no more than 10 or 15 seconds, but long enough to cause the cable box to reboot. All of my clocks are analog, so I don't have to deal with a bunch of flashing 12:00s. Crazy intracoastal flooding along Tropical Trail in Brevard! Saturday is supposed to be a nice, sunny day.

15. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Matthew has now cleared your neck of the woods. Hope you got thru it without any issues.

16. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    TV news is showing a few trees down in the downtown neighborhoods. Those older tree lined streets just have older trees to come down, I guess...

Out in the western burbs we seemed to make out great. Palm fronds all over, but that's about it. Power stayed on out this way, so I can't complain.

17. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    St Augustine devastated

18. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    How is your house?

19. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #44 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    was worried about you. St Augustine got it bad. hope you and the family are safe and (relatively) OK.

21. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Thanks for the kind words. The garage is fine..My Bayfront house I fear is not. The roads are still inaccessible so I will not even get a damage assessment until tomorrow from family members. I am still in NY and scheduled to drive down on the 22nd.
    Funny enough I rented a house in Ft Lauderdale for the winter just to see if I like south Florida. It is fine I am told by the realtor

22. Davet18

Davet18 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2014
    NE Florida
    Storm passed through here a few hours ago. Jacksonville Beach and ST Augustine got hit very hard due to storm surge. They still are not letting anyone back into those cities. Ponte Vedra which is between the two seems to have been spared due to higher dunes.

We lucked out that the storm turned slightly east after passing Flagler Beach so the winds were under 100 MPH on the coast. Hope to get back to the beach tomorrow to see for myself what what it looks like. Currently reports are no power or water.

23. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Sorry to hear, Jerome. Hope the house is better than you expect. I glad the garage was spared, I know you put a lot of work into that.
    Thinking of everyone up there,new got lucky down here.

24. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    over 50% of Jacksonville is without power. Beaches got nailed hard...Jax Pier is heavily damaged, surf over the dunes, flooding, etc.

25. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Yup, we dodged a bullet here, up until midnight "they" forcast Matthew would pass by 10-20 miles offshore and landfall 20-30 miles north, then the storm wiggled after rolling over Grand Bahama and spun east for awhile....that was just enough to clear us by 70 miles, reducing our winds from 120-150 down to 75-100, which is no big deal.
    House is fine, power flickered but never went out, yard and plants are a mess, neighbor lost all but 3 screen panels around the pool, wood fences knocked over, shingles in the street.
    Now I have to think about everyone north in the path, they will get it much worse.

Gary