Mondials For Sale | Page 35 | FerrariChat

Mondials For Sale

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 123howie, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Mine sold today. The (new) owner just left, he'll be joining FChat. I had nothing but praise for you guys ;)

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hey congrats!!! I wish you the best my friend!

Thanks again for your service sir!

Cheers

3. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Thanks Paul! You're most welcome sir.

On to the next. I'll be back :)

4. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Congratulations! I was looking forward to seeing the BaT auction as there hasn't been a Mondial auctioned there yet, but am glad that you were able to sell it locally.

Would you be willing to share the selling price as a data point? A rough range perhaps?

Again, congrats on the sale!

2cam

5. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    I got mine on BaT (an '89 t coupe) just a month or so ago...

6. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops

Of course. And thank you for the congrats. Bittersweet, but necessary.

I sold my car for $24,000.00

Maybe low, but it's ok.

7. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    #857 Russ Gould, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    I think $24K is a bit low given you have the recent full major, but it is fall now and I think the market hype is cooling off. Plus the 8 is the hardest Ferrari to sell.

I notice the nice-looking white 87 3.2 cab that was on Ebay at the same time as the (in)famous white "NCBS" car (july 2016) was on Copart this week. The ebay seller (private owner) got $30K from a dealer who put it on Copart where it did not make reserve at $33k.

Why a dealer would put a perfectly good car on Copart along with a bunch of insurance scrap baffles me. Perhaps the bank is calling in the loans?

8. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave

I agree Ken's car was worth more, but he thought about it long and hard and decided that this was the right time for him to sell. If he'd had unlimited time and storage he probably could have got more, but I've sold things under their value due to time, space, and financial issues. We probably all have, right?

9. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
  10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The red one decodes as an '82, not a '81 as the ad states.

ZFFAD08A2C0038233

But yeah, ask for the top and work down from there.

11. Fcarhappy

Fcarhappy Karting

Dec 19, 2012
    So guys what do you all think 88 Mondial Cabs are fetching these days?

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    There are too many variables, so specifics are needed. Primarily, condition, condition, condition.

Otherwise, Hagerty is really on target.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1988-Ferrari-3.2_Mondial

BTW, their Condition #1 category excludes almost all Mondials.

Also, are you buying or selling? Prices are higher for sellers while buyers value the same car lower.

13. Rover1551

Rover1551 Karting

Aug 12, 2015
    Tampa, Fla.
    Full Name:
    Alex
    84 Cabriolet in Tampa...Red with beige and new black top, 41k miles for $31,000

1984 Ferrari Mondial

14. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Look on Ebay at completed sales over the last 6 months. Many sales don't stick and I don't know how Ebay treats those.

You can also look at the auction house results but I think you have to be registered with the outfit in question to see the realized prices. These sales do stick and there is usually a hefty "buyer's premium" that you probably won't realize on a private sale unless your buyer is drunk.

But my guess is $35K for a decent driver with up to date servicing. No more than $40K no matter what.

15. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Looks like the white Mondial Cab 3.2 on Copart sold for around $33k. Never did get a result on the black Branson auction 3.2 Cab.

16. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The 88 is the most developed of the original Mondial concept, the t's are almost a separate model which straddle the classic and modern era for Ferrari and have their own appeal. The 88 typically has abs, and convex wheels similar to the t, which some like while other prefers the earlier wheel style. But abs aside, it still has the manual steering, and generally the car could be viewed as being at or near the end of the "analogue" era. Much of the bugs had been solved for the Mondial like its 328 cousin by the end of the model run, and so these final models tend to have some refined design/reliability advantages, at least when they were new.

The cabs were most popular in the southern US, while the mix of hardtops was more the case in Europe. By 88 most of the sales in the US were cabs.

If any Mondial is to become collectible, it might well be the 88, perhaps the hardtop for its rarity. Of course, some earlier 3.2 cars are comparable to the 88, but 88 is what the OP asked about.

Finding a mint, well cared for 88 is not so easy. There were only about 170 cab's and maybe 20 hardtops imported into the US. Some Euro cars no doubt have been brought over. But given normal attrition, say 25% by now, and assuming some Euro cars making up some of the difference, there is probably an "installed base" of say 150 cars in North America. I think the FChat Mondial registry has about 100
    3.2's of all years and out of NA as well, so this number may be high for 1988 only. But probably order of magnitude makes sense.

Let's assume half of those are well enjoyed drivers or in a deferred maintenance condition consistent with age and use, and few full restorations as a result of the car not historically being viewed as notably collectible. So maybe 75 cars in well maintained pristine condition? Given the high level of enthusiast commitment to the Mondial's, maybe 10% are for sale at any point in time, so less than 10 1988 model year cars that have no issues and are cosmetically in top shape are on the market or otherwise available for purchase.

Once you further refine for colour preferences, and regional availability, the hunt for the mint 88 will clearly take some time.

Of course one could buy a driver, and fix it up / restore it to a collector quality outcome, so there are options to speed up the hunt. And as I mentioned some earlier model year 3.2's are pretty much the same, ex abs, so more choices if you widen the net in various ways.

But my overall point is the price point for the best cars is going to be much greater then the average, and the spread will increase as the cars start to reflect partial or full restoration costs as age marches ever onwards. The present classic car extreme
    boom has not discriminated on condition as much as would be normal, and some undiscovered cars like the Mondial are benefiting but not as much as one might expect.

So Mondial's are either the last of the Ferrari bargains, or they just are not viewed as collectible and will always be a fringe choice for knowledgeable but small in number enthusiasts. I can't help but think that the 1988 3.2's will come closer to the 1989 328 in price for comparable condition. That means the current 1988 Mondial's out there that might be available are probably great bargains.

17. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Andy,

+1, being of course the biased owner of an 88 coupe!

18. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #868 moysiuan, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Yep, I do indeed have a 1988 (it is a cabriolet not a coupe), and that is because that is what I sought out in the first instance, for all the reasons I noted. Took me 4 years to find the one I acquired, albeit I enjoyed the hunt for its own sake and so was not in a rush, but there were none available, in any condition. So I did relax my search criteria and seriously looked at a very nice t coupe in the colour white which was not my first choice, and a QV cab with deferred maintenance, but the longer I hunted I figured since I had been patient I may as well stick to my 88 aim. The pristine cars were rare then, about 12 years ago, and must be rarer still now. I did in the end find a very original Swiss cab car, original owner, well cared for with very low km. I do really like the lines of the 88 coupes, they must be out there!

After some serious detailing, and age related updates of hoses and such, and lots of other small preventive maintenance projects along the way, I have enjoyed a reliable car to both drive, summer daily commute and work on. And to just look at in the garage, it is a stunning work of art.

But to another posters point on condition, while I had determined the 1988 model year was preferred for me (indeed the Swiss market car has some desirable features which I only learned about at the time I discovered the car, the taller gearing proving great for day to day usability) and did get lucky through some patience, my most important criteria was a mint or at least complete and original condition vehicle. With the knowledge I have now, I would be a bit braver on condition as everything mechanical can be fixed and I think the cars are very well made. Would just want to make sure the car was complete, not corroded, or poorly modified. I would also heavily favour buying from an enthusiast, these cars in the hands of committed owners with honest histories are pricelessly more valuable than those in the hands of the flipper/investor types who up the risk of a mis-purchase significantly.

19. SAB42

SAB42 Rookie

Nov 1, 2013
  20. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Well, that is a "T," not a 3.2 and the asking price is a bit optimistic.

I searched for and purchased my '88 3.2 Cab for a all the reasons mentioned above.

Took me lot of research on F Chat to figure out that the '88 was the model year to have: Engine in service, mostly analog, ABS was a plus, but not a necessity, great driver experience too. No power steering or adjustable suspension. Not necessary and expensive systems to repair if they fail.

And I do like the look of the flares and larger "cheese grater" intakes on the 3.2.

They say the interior of the "T" is more comfortable, but I just finished the Mondial Euro Tour where I spent 20 hours or more in the seats of the older models and I can tell you that they are incredibly comfy, better than my DD F-150, in fact.

Took me a year to find one that was well cared for and complete. The car is extremely reliable, beautiful and attracts a lot of attention. I couldn't be happier and have no plans to ever sell mine. See my Wife after the funeral for purchase info.
    Alden

21. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    Andy,

do you need to have the emissions test done every two years?

I found it refreshingly relaxed to just pay for the registration (mine is a 83).
    My understanding is that only Ontario keeps the emissions test and if it were a 1987 or older (so to speak pre 88) you'd spare that expense and possible hassle.

cheers

braq

22. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    IMO, the pre ABS Models were best. I.e. '86.

23. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I do have to do emissions every two years. The present criteria as I understand it is that all cars model year (not build date) 1988 and up will need emissions done every two years, in that the modern emission equipment was viewed as being in place from 1988 on. At one time cars were exempt after 25 years, then I think they moved it to 30 years, and now to 1988 and up. So just as I was about to hit the 30 year exemption, I think I am caught. Unless they eliminate the whole test process, which is not popular and modern emissions generally hold up for the life of the car anyways.

As to 1986 pre-ABS being best, I kind of like ABS as it is a useful technology, one of the few truely useful safety enhancers with no real downside beyond added complexity.

But if the master cylinder or any related component like the ABS pump fails, unlike a non ABS master which is a reasonable item to replace, the cost for ABS systems will not be very appealing, many thousands for components that may become unobtainable. So the case for an 86 to early 87 non ABS 3.2 being the "best" Mondial on the whole may prove to be accurate. Needless to say, I change my brake fluid fairly frequently, as I don't want any moisture or degraded fluid in the system if avoidable.

24. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Just slightly lol. I think there may be a misplaced "1".

(If it gets that price, sign me up)

25. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt