K & N air filters Maintenance Precaution | FerrariChat

K & N air filters Maintenance Precaution

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dencap, Oct 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dencap

dencap Karting

Sep 29, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Caponigro
    Just a word of caution...
    Approximately a year ago, I replaced the factory air filters with a set of K & N air filters on my 1999 456 M. The installation went smoothly, and performance was excellent.

I clean the MAF sensors annually using CRC MAF Sensor cleaner. This year when I disconnected the MAF sensor housing from the air induction system immediately adjacent to the air boxes, there was a significant amount of oil lying at the bottom of the input side of both MAF sensors' intake. Upon examining the sensor elements there was a very light coating of oil present on all input side surfaces.

I cleaned the oil residue off both sensors...let dry for 20 minutes, reassembled, and started the engine. The idle RPM was approximately 150 RPM lower, and the engine is appreciably smoother.

I recommend after the installation of K & N filters, an inspection be made at 3 month intervals, for the first year, and remove any accumulated oil.

Dennis

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That is not from the filter but from the intake sucking in oil blowby. Make sure the blowby system is working well and the oil level is correct. Many people run too much oil.

3. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    And guides..sorry for saw point.

4. dencap

dencap Karting

Sep 29, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Caponigro
    #4 dencap, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That is not from the filter but from the intake sucking in oil blowby. Make sure the blowby system is working well and the oil level is correct. Many people run too much oil.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure I follow.
    The only place the oil was found was between the air box filter, at the input side of the MLF sensor body at the bottom. It was not copious amounts but a light layer sort of puddled at the bottom a 1/4 inch in from the air box. The remainder of the MAF sensor housing was clean, as was the duct work to the engine.

The oil was evident at the juncture of the air box and the MAF housing. See attached photos.

How can oil get to the further most point from the engine, viz., the air box, and not leave a trail from the engine or blow by system.
    Oil level is correct, and only since K&N installation this oil appeared. The K&N filters employ a layer of oil impregnation on the filter element. This oil may/can migrate.

Thanks for any help.

Dennis
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    New filters can come pretty loaded up. I remove a new filter from it's shipping bag and re-bag it sandwiched in paper shop towels in a gallon zip-loc so it wicks off the excess oil, then leave it to air dry a day or two in a clean open space so the oil will tackify. As wet as they come, the oil is volatile enough for some to be lost to the intake. Don't over-oil when you do a cleaning and you should see less or no migration of the oil.

6. dencap

dencap Karting

Sep 29, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Caponigro
    Thanks for the info.
    I noted the excess oil when initially installing the filters, but made the unsubstantiated assumption the oil adhered tightly to the filter medium. I now know, and you have confirmed what I should have concluded.

Thnaks again,
    Dennis

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dennis- The OEM filters work great and no chance of fouling your MAF sensors. Ask any of the pros for advice on K&N and BMC air filters with oil in the filter medium.

8. dencap

dencap Karting

Sep 29, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Caponigro
    Thanks Terry.

9. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    +1. I wouldn't use K&N sort of oil/air filter if you paid me. Many years ago I quickly learned about this in the Porsche world. OEM/paper only on all my cars. Some like the K&N sort of filter and maintain them the proper way, but with the potential downside and to me no noticeable upside from OEM, I stay far away.

10. dencap

dencap Karting

Sep 29, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Caponigro
    I am thinking I am leaning the same way, after hearing the various inputs.

Thanks for all the help, Gents.

Dennis

11. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I used a K&N filter on a Mustang I had. The oil caked onto the MAF sensor and led to a blown head gasket. I won't use a K&N anymore...

12. dencap

dencap Karting

Sep 29, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Caponigro
    Thanks for the feedback Jim.

I appreciate the help.

Dennis

13. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I don't recommend anything other than OEM air filters.

14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Using K&N filters for about 5 years cost me a new MAF. Be forewarned.

15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Extremely unlikely KN filter will cause any problem. Look at the package of a KN filter. It is basically clean. Oil did not grow since install. Look at how the pvc blowby is vented into the intake of any modern car. It is part of the smog devices. Draft tubes are not legal anymore. The maf and map live in an oil mist environment. And the flow is both directions just like you can find pieces of cat converter in the intake of a 355. There is reversion. A maf can take a huge amount of oil. In fact I have a motor problem on my LS6 motor racecar where the valve covers puke 3oz of oil per lap into the intake. Oil was dripping out the aircleaner. No big deal and the maf is just fine after a clean up.

16. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Same here. Too many problems with the MAFs due to what appears to be excessive oiling.

17. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have used these for decades without issue on Ferraris too since the OEM ones are so expensive. I'm happy to put my beliefs to the test. If anyone wants to buy my K&N filter I will be happy to be the guinea pig and report back here.

And BTW...

K&N Product Warranties

<<<Engine Protection Limited Warranty

Unlike many companies, our warranty for O/E replacement air filters and intake systems does extend beyond the replacement of a defective K&N part. For the original purchaser of the product, our warranty covers any engine damage or related costs incurred as a direct result of the use of a properly installed and maintained K&N O/E automotive replacement air filter or intake system on the specific vehicle for which the product was designed to be used by K&N. This includes reasonable vehicle repair costs directly related to an engine problem caused by the failure of a K&N product. Furthermore, we warrant that using our product will not result in a vehicle warranty denial. K&N will not be responsible for any indirect, consequential, special, contingent, or other damages not listed above.

We will promptly reimburse the consumer for the cost of the repair if a service provider denies warranty coverage as a result of a K&N product or claims that a K&N product has caused harm to your engine or vehicle. In order to receive reimbursement, we require each of the following:

The consumer must provide a written statement or repair order from the dealership or service provider in which the dealership or service provider blames the problem or warranty denial on a K&N product.
    The service provider or consumer must provide K&N with all allegedly damaged parts. Many states have laws that require a service provider to retain all parts replaced during a vehicle repair, unless given consent to dispose of the parts by the consumer. K&N will pay the shipping cost to recover these parts.
    The consumer must provide proof of purchase of the K&N product along with cooperation in helping us investigate the claim.

Once these steps have been completed, K&N will contact the service provider and collect evidence to support their claim. In the event we are not provided with sufficient evidence, we reserve the right to reject the claim and will use our best efforts to assist in establishing your rights toward the service provider under warranty or other provisions.>>>>>

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- Not in my 575M. The air filters are just not that expensive for the 15,000 miles they last. Even changing them every 5 years is not that expensive.