Carbon Fiber- Fact or Fiction | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Carbon Fiber- Fact or Fiction

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Redrrari, Oct 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    CF is personal and you will get opinion after opinion. Bottom line (as always), what works for you? Best

2. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    Purchasing Ferrari carbon fiber options = a generous donation to the Scuderia. Good enough cause, but they're not what I'd call a frugal organization. They always need more.

3. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    I know several Ferrari buyers that would pass on a car that lacked some of the carbon options. For example the wheel, if its not carbon they wont buy it. If the dash doesn't have it, they wont buy it. Now some of the other extras in carbon are not a deal breaker like console or door panels or engine bay/etc. I passed personally on dozens of 458s because of one carbon option or another missing. The grey plastic that is in place of most of the carbon to me looks poor.

Other people it wont matter. So it goes both ways.

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

I think that's right, although some buyers don't like a lot of CF in the car. The CF steering wheel is a must for many, but because of the LEDs, not so much the CF. Other areas where CF replaces the grey plastic either add some value or make the car more sellable. Where CF replaces leather or alcantara (like door panels), it's more variable as a matter of preference, and adds little or possibly detracts. CF in the engine bay looks great but usually isn't a deal breaker if absent. In Ferrari-speak, if the car has the CF LED wheel, the CF driving zone and CF console, that's usually the right balance, although that still leaves a few grey plastic pieces. If lacking some of these, Carbonio is your friend!

5. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    I certainly will not buy any used or new Ferrari without the CF steering wheel or the CF race seats. You'll never get the best of the driving experience with a 458/488 without the race seats. Other less functional CF options are usually not deal breakers but are nonetheless important for aesthetic reasons. The 458 OEM standard dash, for example, look less complete with the plastic trims and is a constant reminder of corner-cutting, 'bean-counter' approach to saving a few dollars on a $300K legendary vehicle. The new standard trims on a 488 looks much better but CF is still far more suitable for a vehicle of this stature. e.g., the weight savings on CF seats are not insignificant.

When it comes to the question on value (resale or otherwise), I often wonder why used car buyers would not pay incrementally more for CF equipped 458's. It is perhaps the lack of ownership experience, or budget, or misinformation about resale value of CF options. IMHO, when one decides to own a car like the 458/488, every detail matters. Compromises will inevitably reveal themselves as what if's and should have's and serve as a constant reminder of a lesser choice. Can one put a value on that kind of feelings?

6. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014

Couldn't agree more. The 488 I have configured is loaded inside with CF (i'm only struggling with a couple options at this point). The exterior has a few CF options as well. It is all my personal taste. For me, I'm not terribly concerned with resale loss or return.

As for aftermarket CF, I can understand and appreciate the rationale, but I'm hung-up on factory originality.

7. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Some people like CF a lot, myself included. Others not so much. Nothing wrong with either.

It made a difference to me when we bought our Italia that it was loaded with CF. We would have passed if not.

8. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    When are you getting an allocation?

9. kramsay1234

kramsay1234 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    #34 kramsay1234, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    I looked at it this way. I was building my first Ferrari of my own which I know will exist in the market for many years to come (and maybe forever after I move on) and wasn't going to compromise on the way the car looked for a few extra thousand of carbon fibre even though the cost made no sense. So I started by trying to leave a few things off to save a few dollars but eventually just spec'd the car exactly as I imagined it in my head. When it arrived, I was happy I did. For me, I was designing a piece of art. For others it is just a car.
    Resale will be whatever it is, but I don't think anyone will look at it and say "it's too bad they didn't order it with..."

10. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    + 1

11. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    There's no right or wrong about personal taste. Some people, regardless of socio-economic status, like wine in cardboard boxes for $5.99/gallon while others will only drink 1978 Montrachet ($24,000 a bottle, last known price). Liking something and not willing to pay for it are very different things and are often fraught with much mental gymnastics. Buyer's remorse ensues. Most of us think of configuring a car like a Ferrari is analogous to building a dream, a personal ideal. We are all individualistic or narcissistic enough to realize that we really don't care much about what others may think of our choices. After all we are not buying a Ferrari to please anyone else, or the next owner of our 'dream.'

12. 0-60 freak

0-60 freak Karting

Oct 6, 2016
    Nothing on the car holds it value....in 5 yrs you will loose close to 100k....i ordered every c/f interior/exterior piece except rear diffuser ...live life!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

13. mdslone

mdslone Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    South
    Full Name:
    FerrariM
    Just sold mine. I will tell you that most all people commented on the Carbon Fiber options. Seems to be why mine sold over the others. My new one is not decked out in CF but will have all the interior and some exterior parts. In my opinion it looks very good, and people always love it. With that being said I am very conscious on resale price so I do not go over board with CF but I am choosing options that make a significant different IMHO. Hope this helps!

14. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014
    I'm hoping within the next three months. Like many, I've been waiting patiently.

15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Ordered our 488 spider with a lot of carbon in and out. Didn't get the door panels and I may regret that as it was so nice in my Speciale.

16. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014
    #41 jaa1359, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    I go back and forth on the door panels, though I lean in favor of them more than opposed. I also opted for the upper tunnel in my configuration, as well as the tunnel bridge in CF. I've been waiting for an allocation for a long time, so I am hopeful to get word soon.

17. Redrrari

Redrrari Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Florida
    This is how I'm leaning. Thanks