is the bubble due to burst? | Page 115 | FerrariChat

is the bubble due to burst?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by PFSEX, Jan 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Just a Diablo is all its not down way ahead bought it for $88k I love that car

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    OK so let's say when you spent 88k your net worth was x. today some else's net worth is 3x and they pay 200k for a Diablo. why shld that person come on and listen to you call them a fool? what if they're worth 10x?

3. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Fine you made your point I agree

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Diablo is a sick car. my SV is a very emotional experience. that's one car every ferrari owner shld have a chance to spend time with.

5. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    I agree Takes a super Ferrari to compare to it the SVs are my favorite

6. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    My wife who's a Model as if it matters really woke me up to Lamborghini especially the 12s our first date was in my 355 10 years ago she said she wasn't that impressed but would have quote **** her pants if I pulled up in a Diablo lol

7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank you (of all people :)) for making my point!

The fact is, anyone who has owned a car for a few years ought to be, as you so eloquently put it, "way ahead".

Those that have owned cars for even longer are probably still ecstatic.

The sky is not falling.

8. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    what is the cost to the those who have been preaching gloom and doom for F-car values... this thread is approaching 4 years... the intangible for having missed the opportunity of enjoying a f-car or any collectible for those years is immeasurable, that time cannot be recovered... as a bonus the value of f-cars has increased over the same period of time... who is getting the better bargain

9. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    I still remember Miuras for 60-100k just 10 years ago. Those days will never return. Just look at the threads on advertised prices in the 1970s-1980s, and you will realize that any dip, should it occur, is a buy in the long run.
    Anybody preaching a falling sky is very likely looking to buy.

10. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Just a thought but with the worldwide move to electric, autonomous and fuel cell vehicles what is the possibility that driver operated petroleum based vehicles will be outlawed for public road use? I know a bunch of 20 somethings in NY and CA feel that way.

11. exotic30

exotic30 Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    All these cars except a few will be going to museums and limited collections never to see the roads again. Granted it will take a generation or two.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    zero.

13. gated_shifter

gated_shifter Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    i'm curious along these same lines. at what point will the pc 'police' and enviro agencies start to come down hard on 'old relics' that continue to hurt the environment and contribute to climate change (what happened to 'global warning'). the younger generations [seem to] have a much different view than X'ers - like myself.

14. Ferrarifan2016

Ferrarifan2016 Karting

Oct 26, 2016
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Agree. At least in the relevant future (<50 years).

Will just take the next recession to push back those trends another 20 years anyways.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I think what will be outlawed is cars without V2V, which I suppose can be retrofitted. Then they will outlaw human drive cars as they will be too eratic and confusing to the auto drive cars. The demise of what we love will not come about from electrification, but from automation.

The great cars will get to live on a country club car driving ranches, replete with samll highway sections, race tracks, rural lanes, drive in movies diners etc. People will go there to drive their gas powered human controlled car and recreate. Sort of an adult auto disney park.

16. wolfchen75

wolfchen75 Karting

Aug 7, 2004

hope I am dead and buried before that comes to pass

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    where are like for like f40s since the "top"?

18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The EPA killed two-stoke motorcycles, even though the amount of pollution emitted was so small compared to everything else.

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Post of the thread.

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    If you have a nice example with impeccable provenance, the top numbers are still pretty much the same, it just takes a little longer to find your buyer, thats's all.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    thanks.
    when people talk about down 30 which ferraris are down 30% like for like?

22. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    The other thing is that if your car is actually down 30% and you are all bent out of shape then you either bought for the wrong reasons or stretched financially. 30% shouldn't matter if it's a car you love and really wanted...

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    totally agree. I'm curious as to what's down 30 percent.
    94 512tr? 98 Diablo sv? anniversary countach? 612 OTO? CS? 456MGTA? 95 355?

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    As you know I operate in the world of 288 GTO/F40/F50/Enzo, and considering recent GTO and F50 deals, I can't say they are down off recent auction results at all.

Now the more prolifically-produced models are another matter.

25. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You will be.

It will be a political impossibility for a very long time at least in the US. There are a lot of people on the road that have no business driving and it is a political impossibility to remove them from the drivers seat. The old and the poor have huge political clout in the US and many will be unable or unwilling to get a new fangled electric driverless car. Until the last generation of those people die off that have a gas, human operated car they will be allowed to stay.