dumb question of the day | FerrariChat

dumb question of the day

Discussion in '308/328' started by kcabpilot, Nov 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I starting my third week as a 308 owner and I'll admit, I haven't taken it out after dark yet. So... I was in the garage and turned off the lights to check the instrument lighting and rheostat and noticed this bright light coming from under the parking brake handle. I looked it up in the owners manual and it's called the "tunnel controls lighting"

Is this thing on like that all the time? Because when I turn the instrument lights up enough to see them it's pretty darn bright, like a courtesy light that's always on. I suppose I could add an inline resistor to dim it a bit or maybe it's not really a big deal - like I said, havent actually driven it at night yet.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes Paul, most 308 has that green light original under the handbrake lever, that's the one that gives light to the switches on the center console when park/headlights switch is turn on since none of those switches lights up.

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Keep 'em coming: no question is dumb.

Most owners don't even know that there is a bulb in the brake handle; it's usually burnt out. It is supposed to have a green varnish over the bulb to filter the light green and dim it down a bit. It sounds like yours has peeled off.

Martin308GTB made some replacement LED "bulbs". Not sure if he has more or going to do it again. It was a generous project for the betterment of the 308 community. Great guy; great community. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/511151-308-handbrake-lever-bulb-led-solution.html

4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #4 kcabpilot, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    Yea no green, just bright white. I suppose with the right amount of green film it might not be so bad. Went to the other thread and sent Martin a PM so maybe I will be able to put this little issue behind me. This is a great forum I'm beginning to feel welcome.

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello Paul,

I just sent you a PM with my offer.
    I also have them on ebay.com, but for a bit more because of all those fees.

Best Regards
    Martin

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Martin has a great product. I have one.

In the meantime roll the bulb a little to the left or right. It may be still be green on the sides or top.

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow! We all learn something new every day. Good question and answers.

8. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1. I had no idea there was a bulb burned out under my handbrake until I found Martin308GTB's thread. I always thought it was kind of dark in that area. I just never would have though to look under there.

9. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Martin's LED bulb is no good no where close to a bulb, that's why I bought only 3 of them, ewwwww ;)

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That green light is actually one of the first things unique things I remember about the 308. My first ride in one back in 83 was when the sun was going down and the owner turned the lights on. I thought the green glow over the console looked cool - but everything on that car was cool when you are 15.

11. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    We like dumb questions...they're the easiest to answer :)

12. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    My panel lights are so dim, I can't see a blessed thing when driving at night.

I understand the way to do this is to replace the bulbs with LEDs, as shown here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/246471-how-dash-lights-finally.html

But I was wondering if some of the folks here would post some pictures of their Ferrari panels bathed in green light. I am curious to see what it will look like.

And ... oh yes! ... my parking brake light is a bright white. So white, it is almost blue.

Would some of you gents be nice enough to post pix of the green light effect?

Thanks,
    Sam in Saratoga

13. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Sam,

here's a single post from my LED solution thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/144454006-post26.html

And the final versions:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/144469599-post77.html

Best Regards
    Martin

14. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    Are these LEDs still available? If yes, how can I purchase them for Northern California delivery?

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Sent you a PM.

Best
    Martin

16. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    Just bought a couple from Martin. They sound like a great idea, and maybe I will start looking at changing all the interior bulbs to LED. Sounds like a good winter project...

17. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hi Martin, any still available. I lost the one you sent me! :(

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi Graham,

that's a pity.
    Yes, I am currently making a few and will I have more available in a few days.
    According to my records, it was a blue one?
    If interested, send me a PM.

Best Regards
    Martin

19. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I just received and installed a bulb from Martin. It works and looks great.

Thank you Martin!
    Tom B

20. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've seen a lot of people doing this on their old Alfas because they are always complaining that the instrument lights are too dim but, interestingly enough, I ordered one of Martin's LED's because my tunnel light is too BRIGHT. My feeling is that new cars have mistakenly led people to believe that for some reason they need incredibly bright instrument lighting. Peek at the dashboard the next time you pass a new Prius after dark for instance, it looks like Times Square on a Saturday night. So much bling, and that's really all it is because at night, even more so than usual, your focus should be on the road ahead of you. A glance at the instruments only needs to tell you that the needles are in the proper zone, you don't need to know to a tenth of a degree what your oil pressure or coolant temperature is.

So for me, dim is okay but I seem to be bucking the trend. How about police and emergency vehicle lighting these days, I'm almost afraid of eye damage they are just WAY TOO BRIGHT. Or cars like the Chryslers that have the entire back end lit up like a Tokyo Pachinko Palace.

Whatever happened to subtle elegance?

Sorry, rant mode OFF.

21. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    "Subtle Elegance" yes. We need more of that. I think it started to die in the mid 1960s and has been on a downward spiral ever since.

22. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Paul:
    When I had this car that light under the parking brake handle was green - it honestly looked super cool at night. It also worked when I sold the car....BTW - my eyes hurt at night with all the mega bright lights on cars these days; literally drive with the rear view mirror flipped down.

Kevin

23. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This might become a regular thing here so here's my next one:

What is the deal with the dead ended (my guess is air injector lines) to the exhaust manifolds?

24. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Per-cylinder exhaust gas test ports.