Crystal rock wax (Swisswax) with foil protection | FerrariChat

Crystal rock wax (Swisswax) with foil protection

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by glob1971, Sep 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    My detailer (Swisswax) is proposing me to apply a crystal rock wax on a fully wrapped car (suntech) for almost 150$. I am little bit surprised to apply wax on a protective film and its benefits reason of those questions :

- A does it make sense ?
    - does it last ?
    - is it making the car (film...) nicer ?
    - is it something you recommend me to do ?
    - or should I save 150$ ?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There was a similar question. Scroll down 35 threads. It talks about xpel, but Sumtek and expel are both PPF's. Xpel recommends a coating periodically. The thinking on the below thread was a synthetic coating vs. a carnauba. Not sure what crystal rock is.

Until I read that thread I was using a carnauba but recently switched to a synthetic and it is actually better as far as I can tell. Plus there is no wax left on the PPF edges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic

Sorry I missed this thread, I went through the posts and I have some answers. Very big thanks for letting me know.

4. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    Atlanta
    I love Swissvax Crystal Rock over PPF, paint and also Modesta coatings from time to time. It performs very well for a carnauba wax but I think part of what makes it special is the application method. It's as much a treat to work with as it is to live with.

I would encourage you to snag up a jar. Sure, it's $1500USD but it will last you many years and you can get the full experience out of owning it.

5. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    It's a coating. Ceramics are the best now unless you want to wash off something very temporary for "the experience." If you want an experience spend it on your girlfriend instead; just one man's opinion. Films do require some top cost for longevity and water shedding properties along with booting UV protection.

6. RedguardAutospa

Nov 19, 2016
    Forres
    Full Name:
    Miles Bowden
    Will the Wax have any benefit to your PPF?
    Not enough.

A Polymer sealant would be better or a Ceramic based Product.

While the PPF has a larger micron count it can suffer against chemical abrasion such as strong alkalies and acids which can be found throughout regular life (Bird mess, Bug Splatter).

While a ceramic would be to most solid option it would also be unnecessary.

A recommended option would be to have something such as Gyeon Q2 Coat in a Can applied (6 month Sio2) which will increase gloss, increase fallout and chemical resistance, strong UV defence and not be wasting money on unneeded product use.

While Crystal Rock is a superb wax its not the Best option for your car.