No heat in my 360 | FerrariChat

No heat in my 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Speedracer800, Nov 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Speedracer800

Speedracer800 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I searched for other threads and found a mixture of opinions regarding where to start. I can't seem to get any heat from the vents regardless of whether I have the "stop" button depressed or not etc.

The coolant level is about an inch from the top of the overflow bottle and I notice some coolant down in the undertray from time to time.. Definitely coming from the hose on the radiator cap. I've tried removing the cap while car is cold and starting it and allowing it to run with the cap off.. This produced a little bit of bubbles in the tank but no real change at all.

My water temp gauge never seems to get up to a proper operating temp either.

I've ordered a new radiator cap.. Do you guys think this is the place to start? Seems like a common failure and while my car is a 2000 with only 7,000 miles, I'm fairly sure it's the original cap still.

I'm thinking maybe an air lock somewhere? I've only had the car for a few months and I'm wondering if the dealer did a service and flushed the coolant (looks really fresh) and didn't properly bleed the system?? I've ordered the Airlift cooling system purge tool also.. I've always wanted to have one and this seemed like the perfect excuse to pull the trigger. :)

Anything else I should be trying?? Am I missing something simple perhaps?? Any help or suggestions would be great guys.

Thanks in advance for any help.. I appreciate this forum as such a wonderful resource for enthusiasts.

2. Chrisnlbc

Chrisnlbc Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2015
    Huntington Beach
    I know you said you have tried the "stop" button. That's a must that it is NOT depressed.I thought mine was broke until I figured it out. Makes no sense that the A/C Compressor has to be on for the heat to warm, but that's how it is. Hope ya get it figured out!

Chris

3. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Chris.. Yea, first thing I tried this morning while freezing my ass off driving to work. That "stop" button is the silliest thing I've ever seen in any car I've ever owned! Haha.. So ridiculous!

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I can never remember whether it's button in or out. Same issue when I had my F355. Out, out, out, out... :p

Hope you sort it.

5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #5 hessank, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I made this up because I also forget from time to time and get in trouble with the wifey.

Also note that once you screw up trying to get heat and instead get the cold a/c air, it takes some time to purge out all that cold air before you get to the heat.

If the controls don't get you heat then maybe #2 and #26 needs to be looked at.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

robertjskelton and obertRo like this.
  6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #2 above is the valve that controls heat into the cabin. If you want, remove the brake fluid access plate below the windshield. The connector below on the left is the heater control valve. On the female side of the connector bolted down, the red line and black wires go to the heater valve. Applying 9v +red, -black will turn the motor and close the valve. applying the opposite, + black, - red opens the valve and lets heat flow. You can try it as a diagnostic.

obertRo likes this.
  7. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Have you tried a reset?

If I recall, you do a battery off / on, then hold the heater control knob on min for a few seconds and then turn to max for a few seconds. It worked for me but can't remember the exact sequence.

8. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for all the tips.. Great little cheat sheet there Fred! I'm keeping that in my phone.

Surgeon.. Another great thought! I'll definitely try that next.

I wasn't aware of a reset procedure?? Does anyone know more about this?? Could be the answer?

9. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    There is a recirc pump that supplies hot water to the cabin heater. If it is not working you will get no heat regardless if everything else is fine. Fuse and relay for the pump are listed in the owner's manual and a good place to start troubleshooting if heat is the only problem. This pump can also lose suction if coolant level is too low, but doesn't sound like that's your problem.

There is also an electrically operated valve which can prevent hot water from flowing. There are good write-ups and diagrams in both the the owner and shop manuals which describe system operation. System is pretty complex but when right, works perfectly.

e.g. We live in the mountains. Left this morning temp was 35F. Cabin temp set at 72, switch out (released), controls in auto. Less than a mile after departure had warm air. (I don't warm up the car - start right out) In 30-40 miles downslope air had switched to ambient. When the flatlands reached at 75F, aircon started. Cabin remained perfectly comfortable the whole time. I know the system is a little quirky (If you want real quirky try the radio :) but it actually works better than our new BMW! I've stopped asking the wife if she is comfortable as I know she is. All this in a convertible!

Good luck!

10. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for chiming in.. I'm thinking the problem is in my cooling system. I get a smell of antifreeze whenever I turn the car off after a long drive. I'm assuming it's coming out of the hose attached to the cap on the overflow because I'm seeing coolant down on the undertray right where the hose lands down there.

The other "elephant in the room" here is I've never gotten much water temp in the car. Even during the summer months in hot weather. I'm only seeing about 170 degrees max! Does that seem normal?? Even though I'm dumping a little coolant from time to time, the level still looks good. I read that the cooling system is often times the culprit for this problem I'm having.. ?? Any thoughts there? 170 degrees?? That can't be right..?

11. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    #11 Speedracer800, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Found the "reset procedure".. Many people chimed in here on this "other" forum stating they had great success with this reset.. I'll try it next, although it certainly can't have anything to do with my low engine coolant temperatures. Or??

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    What is the level in the coolant reservoir from the top of the tank as measured with a ruler?

Spend the $30 to get a replacement cap on the top of the coolant reservoir. The seal will dry out and pressure will be released.

13. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the reply. Just want to make sure we're talking about the same reservoir. In the engine compartment by the air boxes? Sounds obvious but I want to know for sure there's not another location by the radiator or something to fill the fluid as well that I'm possibly missing..?

If we're talking about the reservoir by the air box I'd say I'm about 3/4-1" below the neck.. Where the neck meets the top of the tank basically. Hope that makes sense. Yep.. Got a new cap for that reservoir on the way also. Read quite a bit while searching for a solution here how those fail over time.

I'm wondering if the dealer (used car, not Ferrari dealer) actually performed the maintenance they said they did and just didn't purge the air correctly? The fluid is green and looks perfectly fresh, which brings up another concern about the type of fluid that's in the car. I thought I read somewhere that the fluid required should be red?? I wasn't too awfully concerned about that though as I'll be doing a belt service this winter and will make sure to get that corrected then also.

I thought my car was running too cool but after more research here last night it seems that these cars are a bit cold blooded and 170-180 is a pretty normal operating range? Also pretty common that it takes some time to get coolant temp up.. ? Again.. Thanks for the help.

14. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    New cap helped with the temp immediately but still no heat.. Even after the "reset procedure". Car is getting warmer but no heat still! What next?

15. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    I'm far from an expert, but it sounds as though the thermostat is stuck open and not regulating the flow correctly. This would allow too much coolant to flow through the engine and radiator and therefore not allowing the car to come up to temp. As you probably know, the coolant is also circulated through the heater core to create the warm air.

You can test this by removing the thermostat from the housing (you will need to drain some coolant out) and putting the thermostat in a bucket of very hot water for a few seconds. You should see it open. If it's stuck open, you'll see no movement.

16. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Since installing the new cap, the coolant temperature has been corrected.. Seems completely normal now. Still no heat. :/

I'm thinking now it's got to be a lack of water flow to the heater core.. As others have suggested. My next move is checking the fuse for the recirc pump and hopefully that's the issue.. Fingers crossed!

17. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Checked that fuse along with any other fuse I thought relevant. So we've got plenty of coolant temperature now.. New cap on the tank solved that and recirc pump has power at least..

I guess my next move is to try to put power to the heater control valve and see if it opens or closes.. The search continues. Luckily I don't drive it in the winter so no rush here..

18. TALON30

TALON30 Karting

Jan 8, 2010
    Did the reset and mine works now.....

Thanks

19. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    When doing the reset did you have the "stop" and fresh air buttons depressed or not? Also where did you have the fan speed dial set during the reset procedure? There's no indication of where those switches should be set in the reset procedure.

Could you describe in better detail the process you did? Thanks..I'd really appreciate the help.

20. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    2 more questions.

When you reset the ecu for the ac, should the battery be disconnected during that procedure?

I put the 9v to the TGK valve and I don't hear it doing anything at all. Regardless of which polarity. Not a peep.. Could this be my smoking gun?

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Per PM, I'll check the resistance of the motor in mine tonight and take a pic of me doing it for consistency....

22. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you so much! That would be fantastic.. I'm getting nothing from the motor when applying the 9v.

23. TALON30

TALON30 Karting

Jan 8, 2010
    I set both left and right dial to "auto".

Had the rec and stop button pushed in so the air was on. was blowing cold air out of my top vents

turn the switch in the trunk off (did not touch the battery).

turned middle switch to "lo"

turned battery switch on and waited.

started car and waited and then turned to high

waited and turned to "lo"

working fine.....