Correct wheels for a 1975 Dino 308 GT4 | FerrariChat

Correct wheels for a 1975 Dino 308 GT4

Discussion in '308/328' started by kepa75, Nov 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kepa75

kepa75 Rookie

Nov 11, 2016
    #1 kepa75, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello to everybody!

I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm based in Italy and are helping a friend of mine with his 1975 Dino 308 GT4 restoration.

I've been searching around the forum a bit, but couldn't find an answer to this question: which wheels are correct for a 1975 Dino 308 GT4?

Should it look on the b/w picture attached or like the yellow car?

Thanks,

Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    The wheels look the same and correct for a '75 to me. The difference is the hubcaps. The B&W car seems to have the correct hubcaps, but they are missing the "Dino" plastic emblem in the center. The yellow car looks to have only hub covers and chrome bolts, both are incorrect.

--My opinion, I might be wrong.

3. kepa75

kepa75 Rookie

Nov 11, 2016
    Well, the main question is actually: should they have wheelcaps or not, and should it say "Dino" or "Ferrari" on the wheels??

Thanks,

Peter

4. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I'd agree with Mike except that I think the yellow car has the 'series 2' Ferrari badged look rather than the 'series 1' Dino hubcaps. The later cars had the same five-spoke style wheels as the GTB/GTS. I am not sure that the yellow car's black painted centres are correct though.

So for a 1975 car, those wheels with the hubcaps (like the car in the B&W photo) are correct I think.

My 76 series 2 car has the Dino wheels without hubcaps but with the Ferrari hub centres and no black paint, or at least it did until I fitted 16" Compomotive split rims.

5. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    #5 davidgt4, Nov 21, 2016
    Hi and welcome
    This is a shot of my '75 GT4, before I started messing around with it... reminds me how elegant it used to look! Anyway it shows correct early Series 1 wheels - 14" Cromodoras with hubcaps with Dino script.

6. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    All three are correct.
    The black and white photo is at a distance and a little blurry, but looks like it may have the Dino badges, just can't tell. Maybe they fell off (as they did with age) and the owner left them off.
    The yellow right hand drive car has the less frequently seen wheels, very common on Australian and British versions, but not exclusive to RHD cars, they are also seen on other Euro GT4's. As far as black painted centers? May be a shadow or owners touch added.
    The red car is the most common version we see here in the USA, an extension of the 246 wheel with the "dog dish" caps and Dino badge.

7. kepa75

kepa75 Rookie

Nov 11, 2016
    Thanks to everybody so far!

The 308 GT4 in restoration seems to be a first series (first on road in September 1975, so probably build mid 1975). It should be an Italian car.
    I understand that it should be Dino badged, this is clear.
    But still I'm surprised that there is no way to tell exactly which wheels it had out of the factory? With or without hubcaps?

Ciao,

Peter

8. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    All the photos on this page are the same wheels. Those are the wheels you are looking for.

Some are stamped Dino and some Ferrari I think, but they are the same pattern.

9. kepa75

kepa75 Rookie

Nov 11, 2016
    #9 kepa75, Nov 22, 2016
    They might be similar, but not the same to me. AFAIK there is a difference between the wheels with and the ones without hubcaps (see pictures attached).

I agree that technically all fit, but we need new wheels and want to spend the money just on 100% correct ones for MY75.

Ciao,

Peter

10. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    My GT4 is also a mid-1975 car, S/N 10446, and came from the factory with Dino-badged hubcaps.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is correct for the early cars, that were badged as Dinos.

Only after the Factory changed to the Ferrari Logo did they change to the later wheels, shared with the early GTBs????

Big question marks, as I am unsure of the time of the change....

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wheel on the right has the raised boss in center for a horsie style center cap.
    There are 75-77 GTBs out there with those wheels.

I think one on left, with the 'dog dish' hubcaps, (Dino logo) would be for an early car?

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    FerrParts has a set of four on eBay now, and there is an older set of five, from another seller, that looks very nice.

14. kaliforniakid

kaliforniakid Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    sf bay area
    Full Name:
    erik
    Peter- welcome first off.

There are many on here that know far more than I. Maybe Al who has restored a few beautiful gt4's here in the US can drop some knowledge.

There was a period where Ferrari was using slightly different 14" wheels that were Cromodora. This was as they transitioned from the 246 to the 308. If you look inside the wheel they are date stamped. I have a set of 4 wheels that are date stamped 1971 that came of a 75 gt4 (presumably meant for a 246), and a set of 4 date stamped 1975 that also came off a 1975 gt4. The dish wheel is more correct but again others may dispute this depending on which country that car may have been headed towards. I have seen 246 dino's with both the dish wheel and smaller hubcap wheel as well.

15. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    #15 gbutler, Nov 22, 2016
  16. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    I know many of you will think the 14" Cromodora's are the correct wheel, but apparently at the time my car (SN 10764) was built, you could order the star wheels as an option. I have a factory document that provides all the options for my car and 7 1/2" Star Wheels is listed on my document that I have from the factory.

17. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I didn't realise that the Dino hubcap wheel centres were a different casting.

The five spokes ones on 10764 are later I think; that style arrived with the GTB and was fitted to the later series 2 gt4s. But I guess that things might have been swapped around when Dino cars were rebadged as Ferrari.

My UK delivered 1976 car (12842) had the non-hubcap Dino style wheels, and there is no evidence that the nose badge was ever changed so I guess it came out of the factory as a Ferrari.

18. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    That's interesting - does it have a date?

19. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    #19 gbutler, Nov 23, 2016
  20. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Welcome to Ferrari.

21. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    i

Hard to argue with that! Star wheels were first available on the 365GTB/4 (I think) which pre-dated the GT4 so it would make sense.

22. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    9 Jan 1976. That's really nice to have - I like that it says "FERRARI" Model Dino 308/GT4 ... with the Ferrari bit in quotes!

23. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Yes, that is the original factory invoice. Car was sold new by Algar (Chinetti-Garthwaite Imports). I also have the "Certificate of Origin" as well, along with some other cool original items that let me know the entire history of my GT4.

24. WazzaT

WazzaT Karting

Oct 27, 2012
    australia
    Full Name:
    wazza t
    #24 WazzaT, Nov 24, 2016
    Here's mine on my 74 GT4 I bought in 75 and still own. Dino badges are slightly smaller than the original ones that kept falling off under warranty. Waz.

25. kepa75

kepa75 Rookie

Nov 11, 2016
    Thanks to all for the information!

Ciao,

Peter