F40 smells of gas | FerrariChat

F40 smells of gas

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by zvdxb, Dec 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zvdxb

zvdxb Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    East/West
    Full Name:
    ZV
    Hello ! Need some advice . I took the F40 out after 6 months ( too hot in Dubai from may to nov ) and drove it with a full gas tank. . When I got back home and parked it , I could smell gas. At first I figured it's because of the full tank etc... It's been 4 days and there is still the smell of gas in the garage and inside the car ( not unbearable but its there ) .Is there anything to be conccerend about ? If so what I should I look for ? Rgds

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    look at some threads on this. many potential issues and solutions.

3. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Worth reading these:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/288gto-f40-f50-enzo-laferrari-sponsored-bradan/359214-f40-service-items.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/288gto-f40-f50-enzo-laferrari-sponsored-bradan/253379-f40-fuel-bladders-2.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/288gto-f40-f50-enzo-laferrari-sponsored-bradan/489436-f40-fuel-bags.html

My own experience is that many shops will tell you that the smell is normal, and that the cars are venting. I have come across many Euro cars that have no petrol smell, so I didn't take that explanation as given, and eventually found the issue. Given the design of the car with fuel and hot parts in close proximity no to mention their age, it is worth getting is fixed.

In summary, problems seem to be down to:

1) Bad fuel tanks or leaky fuel lines (probably the most dangerous), but check if you have good quality tanks (OEM aero sekur, ATL) or aftermarket tanks of unknown provenance first.
    2) Leaky fuel pressure regulators (harder to spot - no visible leaks), but rusty.
    3) Bad fuel pressure vent valve - easy change
    4) Leaky injectors

In my case, it was a a combination of 2) and 3) and while there was no immediate fire risk, the clogged fuel pressure vent meant that the bags in the tank would expand when hot/nearly empty and that was impinging on the surrounding parts.

luigisayshello likes this.
  4. Arjun

Arjun Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Don't forget the simple fixes first - F40s don't have charcoal venting systems of most modern cars have between the filler neck and the tanks themselves, so if you brim the tanks it will vent directly to the air. As others have mentioned, in a confined space this can become a fire hazard. The easy fix is to pull the car out of the garage, let it run for 20 min to get the fuel level down so that it is not venting to the air anymore, air out your garage and then park the car again. If it is still smelling after that, then investigate some of the other possible causes RedSled mentioned.

5. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I believe the cat cars have charcoal filters? as that was part of the overall early 90s updated euro emmision regs for all cars.

Earlier cars more than likely have a floating ball type expansion valve, when gasses expand in the tank these lift the ball allowing the gas to vent to atmosphere until the pressure drops and the ball reseats and seals the system again

6. zvdxb

zvdxb Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    East/West
    Full Name:
    ZV
    Thanks guys . I will have the car checked before I drive it again .

Rgds

7. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Sorry out of topic , but any idea how many F40's are ther in Dubai.

I love the car and hope to buy one in the next 15 mths.

Am actively looking at the prices .

8. zvdxb

zvdxb Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    East/West
    Full Name:
    ZV
    As per the official dealer , only about 6 ( including mine ) come in regularly for service so not many proportiately to number produced .

9. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My US F40 had #4, leaky injectors. Dealer said the fuel smell was "normal" (after putting a lot of wasted time and cost trying to track it down). BS. Rifledriver fixed it right up.

You might be able to locate the source of the fuel smell. On mine, after knowing what to hunt for, I could smell the fuel coming from one of the intakes. The injectors would drip and the smell would eventually waft up through the intake and be detectable in the closed garage.

Tim

10. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That's a good working summary.