Thinking of selling the 550... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thinking of selling the 550...

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Zedtt, Nov 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jagged155

jagged155 Karting

Dec 3, 2016
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I'm looking for a clean F355 or 550... I may be interested if you decide to sell. I'm new to the forum and for some reason unable to message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    There are so many V8s out there, I wonder what their true selling prices are. And while their specs vary at the margin, most are pretty similar -- nicely kept, low mileage, identical performance. Not sure how you find the right price when it's hard to differentiate one from the other -- they are virtually substitutes for each other. On the other hand, each 550, due to age, is quite different. And real nice ones are rare. Just some rambling thoughts -- as I was going through this thought process when I bought an AMG GTS vs. a 458 because the AMG was quicker, more modern, less expensive and had a warranty. Felt the 458 was just priced at a premium.

3. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Hi.

Could you share why you think the market is soft right now? I'm comparing now to 2013/2014 when I could find many more 550s for sale, and at prices as low as high 40s and 50s.

Today I can't find many for sale, nor are the ones found less than $89k.... and the $89k is an oddball, for the rest are $110k and up.

4. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Well, that is a "horse of a different color".

The F12 is one of the few cars that I may give up my 550 for some day.

A front-engine V12 with 740 hp and the 7-speed dual-clutch F1 transmission.

I would miss my stick-shift in the 550, but what an incredible car the F12 is.

5. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Toggie, not even thinking about an F12 - either you are the classic V12 manual buyer or the one who's always look for the latest and strongest car…

For sure, the successor to the F12 will be even more tempting and faster... Who cares, at least here in Germany, where you seldomly can use the full power and speed of these cars..., some minutes at 250 - 300 km/h on a highway, that's all.

The Maranellos are the peak of the classical manual V12 cars, would trade mine for a Daytona, a Lusso or a 275 GTB. But, personally not for an F12.

6. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Let me chime in my .00000008 cents worth. I just got rid of my Rosso Barchetta 1998 Ferrari 550, and 308 GT4......... I know........ I know....... but I bought a 2012 Ferrari 458.
    I like the "New " technology of the 458, I like the low maintance of the 458 ( about $900/Year) I like not listening for something that does not sound right. The fact you crank it and go, I don't feel like anything is going to wear out and cost me $18,000.

I do love the V12, the power was always there, very smooth , super ride quality.

The 458 is very twitchy, bumpy, hard to be smooth with the gears, in the 550 my passagner did not ever feel a gear change. I do miss the comfort. But, I am not a collector, I am a person who likes to drive. I met Gerald Roush years ago in 1975 at FAF , he said "always buy the newest Ferrari you can get". The technology advances are amazing on these cars.

From 2012 -2015 I spent $30,000 on the V12, like New Steering rack, New ECU's, New Motor Mounts, New A/C, New Brakes, pads rotors, all sticky stuff was taken car of. It needed nothing until 2020 as the major was August 2015. I wanted a mechanically perfect car. It was all done by the Dealer, all Ferrari parts. And I could have put another $16,000plus in it this year, light on inside is about to get discolored, Ferrari will only sell you the whole lighting kit for only $5,000 plus labor, needed a hood spray, and front bumper has rash from 47,000 miles of driving, I have no ideal what a respray would have cost.

But for me it was time to let it go. I just wanted modern, something to play with on the Tail of the Dragon. I lost money on the 308 GT4 and doubled my money on the 550. So that was the only thing that made it possible to get into the 458.

I sold now, because I think prices will be softer on the 550 in the spring, and the 308 GT4, and prices will be cheaper on the 458's for sure. But I have it figured that I can lose $42,000 on the 458 and still break even. So once it drops into the $155,000 price range I am a break even , then I have to decide do I keep it. But it is the most usable Ferrari I think Ferrari ever made, I love the sound of the NA engine at a massive scream touching 9,0000 RPM's , now that part I am addicted to............. that sound is intoxicating....

But I miss the 550. I never bought it as a money maker, just stooopid lucky. I just like to drive them. But the thought of getting another one and having to go through all the shocks, ECU's, hoses, motor mounts, and address all the little things that come up and the car needs them as they reach 20 years old, does not excite me. But is was a smooth , easy to drive car, I miss how nice it road over the bumps. Very graceful car. Had a friend who had the F12, did not like it at all, and traded for the 458 Speciale, which he loved to drive around town. So it is a strange land. I don't really like the 599, as I drove one and was very happy at the time I had the 550, I did not want to trade up. Don't know where I will go after the 458. I would like another V12 .

7. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass

8. contadino

contadino Karting

Oct 18, 2016
    ITALY
    Hello!
    my compliments for the choice :):)

9. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I hear you. Those are good points.

I like your taste in the older cars.
    The other older car I like is the 330 GTC.

10. Zedtt

Zedtt Formula Junior

May 29, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Terry
    #35 Zedtt, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is photo of the front license plate bracket in the plastic bag along with a smaller Ferrari-branded bag within which contains some rivets, screws and inserts. I believe that in U.S. states that require a front license plate, the manufacturer/dealer is obligated to provide same with the new car. It seems that most people do not put them on these cars. (batteries are for the flashlight...kept separately to avoid corrosion.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    #36 Jürgen Geisler, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Ron, grew up with these cars. During the 70th Ferraris where just seldomly seen, I remember, in my earlier years I saw a yellow Daytona passing by...., quiet a sensation which I still remember. There where no Ferraris (at least visible...) in our town. And - at that time, they always wear'd their spectacular V12 engine in front.

Then the V8 types arrived (my first personal drive in a Ferrari, an early 308 GTS), the spectacular BB's, the Testarossa's (not my personal choice).

Always followed the development of the brand closely, but was personally not smitten by the late 80/early 90th cars (...and additionally, never dreamed I can even afford one). Then the generation of the 355th/456th/Maranellos where launched, for me one highlight after the other. The Maranellos where always considered by me as a milestone - a connection between the past and the future...

Later Ferraris never drew my deeper interest again. Honestly, would have problems to separate a 458 from a 488 without looking at the letters....

Newer models might be more spectacular, for sure louder, more eye-catching, but the never reached the grace imho of the Maranellos and their V12 predecessors again....

Terry, you solved the biggest issues an US car owner will face with this type (…not comparable with EU maintenance cost's). But finally, it's your decision - like it was John's....

12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This says it all, well said Jurgen :)

13. bill59

bill59 Karting

Oct 26, 2010
    bean town
    Full Name:
    bill h
    You're thinking of selling but have also these photos at the ready? I don't know. all I can say, is I thought of selling mine but now I just enjoy the hell out of it. I think these cars you're picking between are not comparable. Maybe its an age thing. Or a chick thing? Hah.

14. 612Sc

612Sc Rookie

Nov 5, 2016
    Euro up north
    Full Name:
    Clement C.

So, I never know if this is normal or not - but I was following the same thread and it seemed crazy. However, the car had A LOT of issues... have you checked the maintenance records? the previous owner spent $80k in 4 years in maintenance.. it's an awful load of money just to keep it

for the owners - is this normal at all? good lord..

15. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    for those of you looking

CNC (sponsor here) just lowered the prices on it's hoard of 550s

and

the same for the dealer in PA (at least on manheim). they have a yellow, blue and silver one.

16. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I just saw where CNC dropped one 550 by $30,000 and the other by $40,000. And some dealers are still at $190,000 on 550's. they are all over the place.

I did not see the yellow one.

17. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

One is marked as pending. Do you guys know what the asking was?

18. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

Is this true? $80k for 4 years of maintenance? I thought they were much cheaper to maintain than TRs and 355s

19. crete 08 430 00 550

Oct 8, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Charles
    CNC has 2 , (i do not think that is a hoard?) , they also are not as nice as the one's they sold this year . Probable why the reduction in price .

20. Ferrarifan2016

Ferrarifan2016 Karting

Oct 26, 2016
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Wowo that car wans for sale for more than year now.??? I dun understand why? Price is good only $150k frommore than &200?

Is it now $100k for selling?

21. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Some spend their money carefully, others throw money at problems. May have been the later in this case.

So far, my costs have been ~$500/yr +/-. Major just done before my ownership and a fair number of desirable updates already done as well. One of the reasons I bought the car I did...

22. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

that was my point - I've heard so many different experiences. Many as you quote - pretty much gas, rubber and up to $1k/year. others like this one, $80k.. - that's another F355 on top of this one.. ridiculous!

23. Zedtt

Zedtt Formula Junior

May 29, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Well there is a rather persistent drumbeat that the market is soft. However for good cars it may not be as soft as one would think. The Black/Black 6,xxx mile 550 (Shields+Quilted+Daytonas) that was listed for $199,000 just two weeks ago at FBH is gone. And they just increased the ask on the 7,477 mile 2003 575 F1 from $159,900 to $185,000. And yes I realize that the ask is just that but it is at least indicative of one ingredient in the mix. Wholesalers are telling a very dark tale at the moment. Patience is suggested for sellers.

24. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I think you're right. The conventional wisdom re: market being soft is derived from the quality of inventory (lack thereof), but nobody is explicitly attributing "market softness" to the sub-par cars that are out there.

I don't think prices aren't too high, they're too low. Your example of a very nice car (compared to the current retail inventory out there) selling for $200K indicates this. At low prices the low-quality cars come out and sit because nobody wants them and they aren't worth sprucing up yet. At higher prices the nice cars will come out; that seems obvious since the guys with the best cars still haven't offered them over the last couple years. My guess is $250K+ will start to bring them out.