Choices for $130k Car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Choices for $130k Car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Shark01, Jan 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    hahha funny you guys mention this, I've never had trouble getting a test drive at an exotic car dealership, mclaren, ferrari, but today at the Ford dealership when I was trying to pick up an Explorer for my little brother we were denied the test drive and told to make an appointment...the whole dealership was sitting on their ass at that time. Just shows the different level of training and customer focus between different tiers of dealerships.

btw +1 for the AMG GTS. that turbo engine is by far my favorite turbo performance engine I've tried. have not driven the 488 but I prefer it to the Cali T and 570s (engine wise)

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    430. end of story

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'll give some thought to taking it out and I'll let you know.

4. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I just spent a year doing the same quest. Although my criteria also included a car that my wife could easily drive, and I wanted to park it anywhere. I went with a 911 Carrera S. Great car for what I wanted. Absent the park anywhere requirement I would get the 430

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I've said for a long time the 911 Turbo is the world's best all-around sportscar, so I'm quite sure the S is a great car.

6. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Sadly this happens at dealers on expensive or exotic cars. Normally if they know you or you bring an exotic car they will work with you. But in defense of the dealers of these cars must be careful to only let people who can afford, drive a powerful car and a desire for the car. I think they have a valid point. I have some friends at exotic car dealers and the stories are chilling. I cannot imagine any dealership treating a customer who may buy a car the way you posted. That is the way they survive.

I find it interesting on your profile you listed ownership of no, cars. I am not sure what that means but I tend to lean towards the dealers side.

I hope you have better luck elsewhere.

Lee

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I just bought a NSX and I love the car. It handles and performs better than anything I have ever owned or driven. Just a awesome car. Jay Leno's garage has a piece on the car people may find interesting.

Best

Lee

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I hate your comment on the Viper but it is probably true or maybe car models have a life span.

I owned a 2009 Viper and it was a horrible drivers car . I bough the last of the generation 5 Vipers and it is a completely different vehicle. I love the car but to be honest the older Vipers have a better and more agressive look.

The Viper was most likely replaced by the Hell cat which I also bought. Concerning power it is an awesome car.

Best

Lee

9. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Did you say the GT3 is under powered?? 0-60 3.0 to 3.1!!! Are you kidding me?? The car is monster on and off the track. And its confortable enough for a daily driver, IMO. I used as a DD for a year and half. Amazing car.

10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    As I related in the original post, I own a car that is worth roughly BOTH their cars combined, and they saw the car listed on my insurance card as they were bumbling around.

At this point in life, I don't suffer fools lightly....and there are lots of great cars so I won't miss their little heavy, depreciate like rocks old man wagons.

As a corollary to this, as a result of the experience as listed on Rennlist, a sales rep from Porsche North Houston contacted me to let me know they would be honored to have me come over and drive a 991 GT3 whenever they get one in next.....NOW THAT IS PROFESSIONAL SERVICE.

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, the perception going in is compared to other choices, it MAY be underpowered based on stats alone. Currently waiting for a test drive. Glad you had a good ownership experience, and it was a car that I don't think saw a single negative review. Only saw one review list a 3.1 BTW, a few were 3.2 most were 3.3.

The other negatve, compared with the turbos, is how much power you can add to turbo cars so cheaply...as I did to my 996TT in stages. But looking forward to a go.

12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Great cars tend to have long lifespans as they move from one generation to the next.

Previously to 2012, I had only driven a single Viper, a 2004.....THAT WAS HORRIBLE

In Houston, we have mostly concrete roads with expansion joints every like 100 feet. So I took this car out and on every expansion joint, it would skip about a foot in one direction or another....was like riding on top of a knuckle ball...you had no idea where it was going.

So close to the Gen 5 introduction I'm a a car show and meet one ofthe managers of Tomball Dodge. He hears the story, apologizes, and asks me to give them another chance by attending the introduction driving event at the pro football stadium.

So then the initial reviews com in and they are TERRIBLE. Poor lap times, pieces falling off, outright failures. So I call the guy and cancel, just didn't see me being interested.

Ralph Gilles KILLED that program....never recovered.

But today, look, the cars are actually good cars and would be interested in trying them again with pricing in the $70ks and all. Its still a thing to see a Viper in the wild.

13. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    No one cares about Viper.

GT3 was one of my favs...wish I had kept that one!

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am getting old now and have come to realize I have the most fun in cars like the Abarth. Just picked up a 2017 Miata RF (6 speed of course), and I am going to have some fun turning this into much more than it is. I have owned or driven just about every car on that list (though I will never own another paddle shift car). some of those cars only come with a gearshift, and for performance and fun, I'd go with a gearshift Z06 coupe. I hate the F type most of all (when the jag dealer asked me what I didn't like I told him it was like a beautiful women that was terrible in bad), gave it to my girlfriend after a week she hated it too. She is getting a i8 next. I have come to realize that if I cant handle the car with the traction controls off then it is the wrong car for me. good luck in your search.

15. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #40 JoeZaff, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    I owned the last generation Miata and loved it. Drove a 2016 and was blown away. If you love driving, you can never go wrong with a Miata.

16. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    One thing that I have not seen mentioned here is a new or newer car has a warranty. None of the cars listed here are cheap to fix. Go drive the Z06 in both auto and manual. It is a fantastic car. I have not driven the MB GT but have looked one over at The Woodlands MB and found it exceptional quality. That might change if I were to drive it but I doubt. Seriously has me considering it over a Cali which I did drive. Regardless, tough times ahead trying to decide. Right?

17. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Thats an easy choice over Cali in my book...

18. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Great post. I like my 2017 SNX better than the Ferrari 458 I traded in. I was ready for a marque change anyway.

I have not driven the 488 yet so it may be updated as a sports car. I will look at one in the summer.

I drove the BMW i8. I love the look of the car and the gas mileage quoted by the dealer was amazing. The good gas mileage gives the car very poor performance. I also did not like the high lip the driver had to crawl over to get into the car.

In general I love BMW's and have owned many including M3s. and a 2002 Tii
    They had a M5 in the show room which I suspect would be an awesome drivers car. I already had my sights set on the SNX and was afraid to drive the M5 I might like it better.

Best

Lee

19. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I hasd the small motor C7 Corvette and it was a great sports car. I can only imagine how the power of a Z06 WOULD FEEL!

Congratulations I am jealous.

Enjoy in good health.

Lee

20. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    That is great. I hope you like it. I always wanted a GT3 but never found on at the dealerships I visit. You cannot go wrong with a Porsche, great cars

Good luck

Lee

21. piezopaul

piezopaul Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2014
    Winston Salem, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I always find it interesting how differently people think regarding what they're looking for in a driving experience. I just sold my M4 because the experience was too digital. My best driver is an analog car with 350 plus horsepower. Driving a 500 hp car with multiple driver aids and dct, for me doesn't compare with a more analog experience, fewer driver aids (maybe ABS), and a manual shifter. Those cars are getting harder to find, but an f355 seemed a perfect fit as did my bmw 3.0csl.

22. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    I'll chime in since I have some of the cars you're considering. I like them all and couldn't bear to sell any of them. The 993 Turbo gets less attention than the others, but I like that and it's just as special to me. It's small, which is a nice contrast to more modern cars. I can actually park it somewhere and go into a store. I've tracked them all and have the most confidence and practice in the 993-fantastic brakes that never fade and just a lot of fun in everyway (except working on it-it's cramped in there).

My 430 Spider is to me the best looking 430 I've seen (Silverstone with red/gray interior). I must be blessed with poor taste because I prefer its looks to the 458 and I'm happy with the ragtop. Now the 458 is great and I've driven one at the track and immediately went fast, but I don't get satisfaction in that because it's due to the car's electronics. Very impressive tech-wise, but I'd rather not have it. The slower, jerky shifts in the 430? I like them. The 430 is the newest car and I get in not worrying about some quirky thing going wrong. The others have been reliable but exotic cars as they get older do things to you Toyotas do not. The 430 sound is the best and redline shifts, while not quite up to the 458, are pretty fun. If you think you want a 458/488 when you can afford it I'd say the 430 is the best in the meantime.

The 550 engine is magical, but the car is a GT while the 430 is more sports car. But I love it and it's even decent at the track (I'm quite conservative with it). Mine's a Barchetta and totally impractical, which I don't mind at all, and it's stunningly beautiful in a more mature way than the Diablo (but then everything is more mature than a Diablo). A 550 coupe would fly under the radar to some extent. I find the 550 and Diablo to be very different, but both very fun. I drive the Diablo less than the 430 or 993 because the attention is tiring. After a day or two in it it's a relief to get back to my truck and blissful anonymity.

An advantage of most of the cars you are considering is that they won't depreciate much at all compared to, for example, a new 488. My 430 was at one time (before I bought it) worth $80K over list. Then the recession hit. I bought it $80K under list. 430's will go down some more because there are a lot of them, but nothing too unreasonable I think.

23. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Is you SNX made by JONDA? :)

24. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    If you want the latest and greatest, why not just buy a Tesla Model S with Autopilot and let it drive you everywhere? Not a DCT, but quicker to 60 than pretty much everything you listed, plus has all the driver aids you could hope for.

25. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    Ferrari California