For Sale - 550 & 575 Sunvisor Repair | Page 3 | FerrariChat

For Sale 550 & 575 Sunvisor Repair

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by ferraridriver, Aug 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Have a good time, Dave!

2. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Have a safe trip Dave !

3. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    Dave just completed a FANTASTIC job for me !

Have fun on vacation............

Scott

4. Ferrariservice

Dec 6, 2002
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael Rozenstraten
  5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
  6. Ferrariservice

Dec 6, 2002
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael Rozenstraten
    OK, enjoy your time out. I'll catch you next month.

7. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    GREAT job !............

Dave just completed a FANTASTIC job for me !

Have fun on vacation............

Scott

8. shedlockmotorcars

Mar 9, 2017
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Hey guys new on here and would love to get in contact with Maranallo Skunk Wokrs.. i hear they repair sun visors for the 575M.. or if anyone else know of places that fix them, would be great! thanks in advance guys.

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    PM or email me for information. I just did three more this week.

10. Vintage12

Vintage12 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    SW Florida
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Another request coming your way via email. '99 550 with a droopy passenger side visor.

11. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Hi Dave....That's the first time I've heard of that happening to a 550 ?

Have you done 550s before I thought that problem was it exclusive to the 575 ?

12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Bill,

550 and 575 visors are exactly the same. So far I have fixed over 75 visors.

The problem arises when someone else has tried to make it stay up by locking the spring together with a screw, rivet, or small nut and bolt or pulling the pin out and filling the hole with epoxy then replacing the pin !!! :eek:
    That costs a lot more to fix.

You wouldn't believe some of the things I have seen and some from very reputable shops.

If the visor doesn't snap into position against the roof when up it's broken and will sag, some more than others. That's what I fix and my fix is permanent.

Mostly its the passenger side that droop but at some point Ferrari changed the driver's side pin from a solid plastic pin to the hollow metal pin with a plastic sheath. That's what breaks.

Some have replaced the pin themselves only to have it break immediately but now the hinge pins are NLA from Ferrari. I replace the plastic sheath with an aluminum sheath bonded to the hollow shaft.

Anyone can PM or email me for details.

13. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink

Dave fixed my 550 visor 4 years ago and counting. Still snaps up like new.

14. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    That's interesting buddy, I have sent you quite a few customers but they were always for 575 .... I guess I'm lucky 75,000 miles and mine still work perfectly and I use the passenger side all the time when driving to Vegas with the sun coming up I have to shift it from the side of the passenger window to the windshield on the passenger side.
    Maybe like my car using it a lot makes it work better :)

I hope I didn't jinx myself haha

15. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Bill for the referrals, Yours must be some sort of a record.

When I said " If the visor doesn't snap into position against the roof when up it's broken" I meant to say If the visor doesn't snap into position against the roof then it's broken, not "when"

16. 964Speedster

964Speedster Rookie

Feb 21, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Alan Laing
    Just thought I would add to this thread. I've got myself a 99 550Maranello, European car so Lefthand drive even though I live in Scotland UK.
    I too had the droopy passenger side visor. Arranged with Dave to ship the visor to him for his repair. Just received the visor back, all I can say is Whoa!!!!!!
    Superb job Dave, you would never know that it's been repaired, and that's after the previous owner trying to do a botched repair before I got the car.

HUGE THANKS AGAIN DAVE , TOP JOB.

Very very happy man, with non droopy passenger sun visor. 👍👍😁😁

Cheers Al

17. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just a note for those who haven't had that droopy visor fixed yet.

I only have 14 more sleeves and when they're gone there will be no more visors repaired by me.

It's just not worth it to have another batch machined.

18. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Is it wise to get a visor fixed BEFORE it droops?

I had my driver side done and it works great now.

Should I send my passenger-side one in as "preventative maintenance"?

19. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Some, and I don't know when they changed, of the driver's side visor pins do have a hollow shaft with the plastic sleeve. Those will fail. Others, and as far as I can tell most of them, have a solid plastic hinge pin. Those will not fail.

The only way to really tell is remove the visor and look at the end that goes up into the headliner. If it's solid black plastic you're OK. The driver's side is easy to take out, just two screws, no wires to worry about.

I would think that the driver's side sees more use so if it hasn't failed by now it probably won't.

The passenger's side with the mirror is almost guaranteed to fail sooner or later if it's used.

20. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Dave - I know zero about your repair other than EVERYONE depends on it. If it's machined parts you need to keep this going - send me an email or give me a call. I'll do what I can to help you keep this going as I know folks greatly appreciate what you are doing.

Remember - I own a full CNC shop.

My best,

Dave

21. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Another option would be to make a cad file sticky available then people could have their own sleeves made from online sources like emachine. One day soon as additive manufacturing progresses we will have that option too.

Custom Online CNC Machine Shop | Free CAD. RFQs Welcome.

22. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Unfortunately it's not that easy. I have found about three sizes of shafts varying in diameter by only a few thousandths of an inch but they require the sleeve to be drilled with different size bits to get the proper clearance for the bonding agent plus emachineshop.com or others like that only want to do batches of 50/100 pieces or more.

Then there are those which someone has thoroughly screwed up trying to fix it themselves.

You would not believe some of the hack jobs I have seen including one whose owner pulled the shaft out, filled the hole with epoxy and pushed the shaft back in!

I have seen several that someone, with absolutely no knowledge of how things, work pop riveted the detent spring together thus insuring that the broken plastic slug could never come out but the shaft could still turn so the visor still sagged. Simply unbelievable, and this was done by a reputable shop which charged the customer a bunch to screw up his visor. Not only that they did it to both of his visors.

23. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Maybe StickyRx can take this over from Dave, same as DeltaVee taking over the shock mount repairs? Just a thought. Would be nice to send some sticky buttons and droopy visor to one place together! I don't need mine fixed yet, but hope there will be someone doing it when I need it.

24. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Ryan - thanks for the confidence but I'm so busy I can't think straight. My team is doing great work but we simply don't have enough hours in the day for the demand. I'm working to add staff but what we do is very specialized and detailed, so finding the right people is no short order.

My motivation here is to offer Dave the help he needs to keep this going - assuming he wants to continue on with it.

:)

25. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Of course Dave. It was just kind of a hope that this repair option won't be lost.