Drivability 458 versus Huracan | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Drivability 458 versus Huracan

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Azzuro Blue, Jan 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Tell us when you have had time to do your first 1000 km's !

I tend to think that you will find the 488 even better than the 458 .... it's newer of course ... :)

2. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    I drive my 458 daily :) Have put nearly 10k miles on it in the last 10 months. Aside from a bent rim from running over a pot hole earlier this week, it's been trouble-free. Even after 4 track days. The only maintenance I've done is a couple oil changes and replacement tires (2 sets rear, 1 set front).

3. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Nice set Marty.

4. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    #29 QueueCumber, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    I had a 2011 early ECU 458. I test drove the 488 and Huracan. I felt the Huracan's understeer lacked a level of engagement that the 458 and 488 had. It felt like driving a brick to me. I wasn't in love with the 488 sound and RPM range and shifts. It was missing quite a bit of rawness that my 2011 458 had. Maybe I was too used to the high revving 458 rawness to enjoy the 488. I ended up getting a used Speciale instead of a new 488. The Speciale is a phenomenal vehicle. Exciting to drive and look at IMO...

I gave up on incremental speed improvements on cars after owning a modified Alpha 10 GT-R. I'm more into the entire experience of a well balanced/designed car that's breathtaking to look at. Incremental improvements at the cost of overall excitement is not for me.

As far as a daily driver. I'm not big on putting lots of miles on these cars. I did drive the 2011 458 around 6k miles in a year, and I found it very comfortable. I won't be putting anywhere near those amounts of miles on the Speciale. I can't drive it where I live now, and if I drive it at all it will be once a week when the weather is nicer. Sadly, driving it requires a long trek to the area where I am storing it.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  5. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I feel the 488, then the 458, then the H for daily driving. The Ferraris with the softer ride button on the steering wheel make for wonderful daily drivers.

I currently own both the 488 spider and H and sold the 458 for Speciale versions.

6. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I drive a Lamborghini Superleggera as a DD, Its AWD and I have snow tires on it. Today was -6 degrees celsius and I just got back from town with it. Its fine. I like it. But I need a AWD as a DD living in Czech. My Fcars dont have winter tires and would never see any snow, now they are just sleeping beauties :D

It is Chalk and Cheese, but my Speciale(458) would be a better DD then my Supperleggera. Bumpy roads setting is incredible, steering is better and easier and the DCT is like silk :D but just to special to drive every day for me.

7. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    huracan spyder is ridiculously cramped inside, can you tell difference from coupe version?

i hear it is at least 2 inches legroom or more

8. MME

MME Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Marty
    Yes the H spider is cramped. I'm inly 5'10" and the seat is all the way back.

9. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    I drove the Huracan this fall, and it was so much better than the Gallardo. However, I was first surprised by the lack of power and sluggish performance, until the dealer asked me to take it out of 'Strada' and keep the revs above 3k. The car really woke up and was tremendously fun to drive. So, I wonder if you drive it in strata and keep it at 2-4K , it imay be a great DD.

Speaking on DDs, wife always put the 458 in automatic and turn on the soft shocks, and places it in 'sport' or 'wet' and claims the 458 is like driving her Maserati Ghibli Q4S that she drives everyday.. so, I guess you can make both work as a DD, when fiddling with settings..

Curious if anyone else have some experience with the Huracan and 458, since I was looking for another car, and was thinking California T or Huracan (love styling of both)...

10. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    It all depends what you mean by daily drive.

Neither are good candidates no matter what the pundits tell you.

11. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    I agree. My friend had the huracan right when it came out and for me the 458 drivetrain software was just much better.

Both are great cars and Huracan definitely the best lambo in ages.

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Why would you use your F as DAILY driver at all ? :)

13. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    why not?

14. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Agree, why not? I have no problem driving it almost daily. I don't have any particular place I go to on a regular basis, but if I'm driving somewhere, I'm in my 458. It's just too much fun to leave at home! The other cars mostly gather dust (but I do use our MB GL450 when chauffeuring the kids to and from school or activities).

Jim

15. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    Exactly! I think it's a matter of money vs enjoyment. For me around the 200k mark is where I can comfortably enjoy my car daily and not worry about the depreciation. If I had a Speciale I wouldn't daily drive it simply because that amount of money and future value is too important to me. Others with more wealth wouldn't care. But one thing is obvious, you're missing out on a lot of fun if you don't daily drive!

Ash Patel likes this.
  16. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Agreed, I would never make a speciale a daily driver. It would be a weekend fun car. I wouldn't make it a garage queen but I wouldn't run the miles up either.

17. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    Since getting my 458 nearly a year ago, it has been my daily driver, rain or shine. In fact, the most fun I have with it is on wet roads. I have a few other (newer) sports cars and sadly, they just aren't enjoyable after your brain calibrates itself to a 458. It sucks. But I guess you can't have it both ways :)

18. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    AZLAMBO has both...let's hear your thoughts

19. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've had my 2010 458 for a while now and just got my 2015 Huracan a couple months ago.
    Here are my thoughts so far:

458 would be the better daily driver. Much better visibility. Easier to get in and out of.
    Better and tighter handling. Feels like the old NSX on steroids in auto mode. Very
    easy to drive. The 458 is like 2 cars in one.

The Huracan has poor rear visibility. It is the faster car, but it is more "raw" of
    a feeling than the 458. Not as "tight" and "precise" as the 458. It gets more looks,
    probably in part because of the "Verde Mantis" color I have.

Regarding the sound of both cars: The 458 definitely has the better exhaust sound!
    It's higher-pitched and more like an F1 scream. The V-10 in the Huracan is a lower
    "growl" and has a LOT of "popcorn" pops on deceleration, especially with higher rpm's.
    Don't know if I like that or not. The 458 has some pops and burbles, but not like the Huracan.

Regarding the 2 Double-clutch transmissions:
    The 458 requires a small push on the gas pedal to get rolling. The Huracan
    will roll when you release the brake pedal....more like an automatic
    transmission. The shifts in the 458 are almost instantaneous. The Huracan
    shifts have either a very minuscule delay, or there is a slight slippage
    of the clutch built into the software.

Driving the Huracan is more of an "event" than driving the 458.

If I could only have one of them, I would keep the 458, but I love
    driving them both, and I must say, the 458 hasn't seen much action
    since acquiring the Huracan.

20. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    Since I owned an NSX for 25 years, that is a good recommendation.

21. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Hell yeah. You can make a hurricane, 458 and a Maserati a DD, if you work with the settings (I know, at least 2 of these 3 cars, since I own them).. DDs don't have to be boring, nor hard on your spine:). Even my 50 year old wife agrees...... BTW, screw depreciation, YOLO as one of our members keeps reminding me ......

22. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Agreed. Who cares about depreciation, if you are that worried, maybe you should not be buying a 6 figure car. You could die tomorrow, oh yes I enjoyed staring at my car in the garage, screw that! They are made to drive, not look at.

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #48 Melvok, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Indeed ... YOLO it is ! Enjoy your cars ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Added some quotes here from another post:

458. But, I will say the single clutch gallardo is simply awesome. If you're a 3 pedal guy and love stick cars, the single clutch egear/f1 is raw as it gets and will crack your skull.

[​IMG]

25. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    i'd say both can be daily driven. Edge to the huracan though. its all wheel drive, larger engine, and better gearbox make it more usable.

488 / 650s are probably better dailies though. low end turbo torque + comfy ride.