Getting around in Italy -- Maranello | FerrariChat

Getting around in Italy -- Maranello

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MTB, Mar 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MTB

MTB Rookie

Mar 12, 2017
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Michael Bennett
    Trying to figure out the best way to get from Florence to Maranello for my factory tour in june. Rent a car and drive? Train? Other?

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    If you take the train to Maranello, You can take a museum shuttle to Modena and see Enzo's home and another museum there. Some like the Enzo Modena museum better, and the shuttle takes you to Pavarotti's home if you like. Also it was cheaper and better for me to stay at the Planet Hotel in Maranello than a lesser hotel in Modena. But driving that part of Italy is great, just DON'T drive in Florence proper. You need a permit to drive in Florence and I believe Modena. I got ticketed in Florence, eu 100

3. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    We took the train from Venice to Maranello - I think changed trains in Bologna. The shuttle from Maranello <-> Modena was easy to use and inexpensive. We also stayed at Planet Hotel due to its convenient location to the Factory, however it was a glorified Motel 6. I would not recommend it.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's an amazing drive. Just be careful, speeding tickets are automated on those highways.

5. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Speed cameras are all sign posted. Either as static (autovelox) or average speed systems (tutor). If they are not around speed limits tend to be treated as a guide...

6. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    The train does not go to Maranello. You must have gone to Modena then by bus or taxi to Maranello.

7. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    We drove from Venice and the weather was perfect. When we arrived in Maranello .....Ferrari's were everywhere. As other's did, we stayed at the Red Planet which no one would stay at if it wasn't directly across from the Ferrari factory and that they have a parking lot. It is their version of a Motel 6. Lots of great small restaurants nearby. That said, we were only there for a couple of nights and then drove on to Milan.

The nice part about driving is you set your own schedule. We did have a Garmin for navigation since phone service was problematic on the highways.

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Take a rental car, NO train. There are plenty of threads for such trips on fchat.
    Do NOT stay at the Planet Hotel. Go to Maranello Palace on the other side of the factory. A hundred times better. Do NOT eat at Ristorante Cavallino, go to Ristorante Montana at the north side of the Fiorano racetrack.

Marcel Massini

9. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I'm with Marcel. Rent a car.

And don't worry about Firenze, if you pick up your car downtown, the rental office can register the plates with the city so you won't get a ticket.

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    By all means if you have to choose one restaurant, make it Montana, no question. On the other hand, if you have the time and the inclination, a visit to Cavallino is worthwhile for the experience, but not the food. Montana satisfies both. My suggestion would be Cavallino for lunch and Montana for dinner. There are many other osterias, trattorias, etc. in Maranello that are also very worthwhile and cater to a more local clientele. They are mentioned in another thread and I suggest considering them as well.

11. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I'm going to the factory on June 6th and was going to use a train pass to hop all around Italy but just saw you can rent a car for around 100 a week which is totally worth it in my opinion.

12. The Singer

The Singer Karting

Feb 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Agree, rent a car ( Auto Europe ) and this time around I booked Hotel Villa Maranello, it's just a couple minutes walking distance from the Ferrari gates for the factory tour.

13. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Best quote I got was Hertz but Auto Europe was close.

14. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    +1

15. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I'm going to do the factory tour on July 5th. I'm renting a car from Bologna and I will be driving to the factory from there. How far is it?

16. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    I would rent a car and drive!

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Car is the best solution. its 2 hours from Florence to the Factory. once you clear the mountains its a flat straight drive to Modena sud exit.... very easy. parking in Maranello not so much - we parked at the museum and walked the block to the factory.

18. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I believe it's about 50km so under an hour.

19. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Thank you.

20. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David

I was there last week. Drove from Milano and stayed at the Maranello Palace. I would say it was 30 - 40 minutes from Bologna. A1 is a fast road :)

If you have time do visit the Casa Ferrari museum in Modena and the Lamborghini museum which is 10 minutes north east of Modena. The latter is cool because they have a number of concept cars on display. The Maranello museum was a disappointment this time around.

Renting a car and google navigation makes all this very easy.

21. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Renting a car is the way to go. Navigation in the car is a must, don't rely on your phone

22. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Yes, Phone connection is spotty. Make sure they give you an updated GPS also. Got lost with theirs.

23. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I've been to Maranello a few times and have done the factory tour. Recently visited the museum and took the bus to Modena to see Enzo Ferrari Museum.

I think that was probably easier than driving into Modena. I would hire a car and did. I also had no problem with my phone and GPS. There are a few GPS map apps that download maps to your device which is exactly what I do.
    NavFree - Navmii Navfree

A group of us from the UK are there the weekend after the Monza GP as it is heavily rumoured Ferrari will be celebrating their 70 years.

24. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    "CoPilot GPS" is another app that loads maps to your phone so it uses no data and you don't need phone/internet connection. CoPilot GPS was really great. I had updated my Garmin to Italy maps for something like $79, but CoPilot GPS was much, much better than Garmin. GoPilot GPS turned out to be free (I think it is normally $20 or so, but they had a free trial period and we only used it in Italy for a week, so it ended up being free).

Driving in Italy is great in general (although I was surprised at the number of bad drivers on the highways -- I thought that was a "US only" thing). We did a day trip to Maranello/Modena from Umbria, which is about 5 hours each way and it was a nice drive. I would never recommend doing the Umbria/Maranello trip in one day, but that was the only day we had available to do a Ferrari visit and it was well worth it.

25. slewman

slewman Karting

May 4, 2004
    Rent a car and drive to Maranello
    Stay at Hotel Villa Maranello there is guest parking and an great in house restaurant
    Ristorante Retro Gusto
    Have one meal at Retro and one at Montana
    Take museum shuttle to MEF in Modena
    Get some Ferrari Swag at Hors Ligne