Traveling to Rome this summer... | FerrariChat

Traveling to Rome this summer...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ducatir8cer, Apr 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ducatir8cer

ducatir8cer Karting

Dec 25, 2014
    I'm traveling to Rome this summer with my family. I've been there a dozen times by myself on business, but never really did any guided tours just casual sight seeing. My family wants to do a professional tour of the Vatican and Colosseum. Any recommendations on who to use?

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Definitely not ANYBODY you find meandering the locations you will visit.

They ALL are a ripoff and potentially dangerous to your health.

Google: "Professional Private Rome Guides". Get references!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards, Alberto

3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

We stayed at the Hassler and the concierge hooked us up with a great guide. Don't go it alone. Also if you get the chance eat at Tullio's and get the Steak Florintine , it's a locals place and not a tourist trap. Best , Kirk.

4. Mikestradale

Mikestradale F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mike
  5. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    I've done this tour and it is phenomenal. Not expensive at all, it's about the exclusivity and the moments you have/things you see. As a Catholic it was very personal for me but even if you are non-religious it is stunning just for the historical facts. Of all the things seen and done in Rome, this by far was my favorite.

They offer the tours in several languages and since they are limited be sure to give them a range of dates that would work. My wife and I had didn't have specific plans so we sent them the days that we would be there and they got back to us with confirmation and a day/time on that.

The office is literally just a small closet on the side of St. Peter's so communication is generally slow and not much "back and forth". To find it I had to approach a Swiss Guard with my confirmation printed out and ask for directions. Slightly intimidating at first but was pretty cool walking into a random, non-touristy area of the Vatican.

After the tour you exit into the grottos where many of the former Popes are laid to rest. At the time we were there John Paul II was right there and so after the powerful and moving experience of the Scavi tour we then were witness to many pilgrims from Poland visiting their Pope's resting place. Was an incredibly moving day indeed.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My friend is our travel agent (I know, how quaint these days!) and she hooked us up with IDI Travel. They were excellent to work with. We traveled all over Italy and they provided us with transport, guides, etc. We had my whole family there so it was a trip that needed to work for all ages. They were to arrange a private tour of the Vatican which was just, well, "breathtaking" is a fair word. Granted they don't do the tour, that is the Vatican which does it, but they made it very easy for us and they also had other activities like pizza making and going out to Tuscany etc. Their tour guides were excellent.

For the Colosseum, make sure to get there early and to have advance tickets.

We worked with Roberto Ongaro:

I.D.I. Travel
    Via Torino, 2 31021 Mogliano Veneto (TV)
    ITALY
    Phone +39 041 5936299 Fax +39 041 5931232
    After-hours emergency number +39 392 9581927
    [email protected] [email protected]
    www.facebook.com/I.D.I.Travel I.D.I. TRAVEL

I also liked that they have an emergency number. We never needed it, but there were times we wanted to alter our schedule and they were very accommodating.

7. ducatir8cer

ducatir8cer Karting

Dec 25, 2014
    Thank you to everyone that posted for your feedback and advice.

8. slewman

slewman Karting

May 4, 2004
  9. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I'll be in Rome in early June, will use the advice here too.

10. NTRLOPER

NTRLOPER Karting

Mar 3, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Kerry
    For those traveling with a family or small kids, we used City Wonders for a private day with our kids and it was excellent. We stayed at the St. Regis, which is steps from the train and relatively central to most sights, but it's a bit stuffy. They do have a Bentley and Aston for house cars to rent for day trips, so there's always that!

11. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    For some great pasta eat at AL MORO, not far from the Trevi Fountain. If you like spaghetti cabonara have their Spaghetti Al Moro. Reservations recommended.

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013