355 spider convertible top issue | FerrariChat

355 spider convertible top issue

Discussion in '348/355' started by sl55, May 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    So I just received my 95 355 spider and the top is not working.

I read a lot of threads.

This is my issue:

Both seats work,

I unlatch the top
    move manually
    Windows come down a little bit
    Car makes one bip
    Seat don't move automatically
    Top doesn't go down

Do you guys think it is the potentiometer?

Is there a way to manually put the top down until I address?

Thank you

2. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Go through usual requirements: engine on (preferably), nothing obstructing seats going forward, parking brake on, doors closed.
    Then when you unlatch top and bring back to beep ensure it stays in position and doesn't lurch forward. Then give it a try- if nothing trying pushing or helping the retraction process with maybe 5 lbs pressure.

3. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Yep done it, even run the hydraulics to close (works) open/close a few time to prime the pump and nothing.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I recall there's there's a procedure for putting the top up manually in the Owners Handbook. I assume you can reverse the procedure.

There's also a tutorial on the forum on how to convert the top completely to manual.

Cheers

5. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    After the beep, you depress the console toggle switch or it's still depressed?
    You've check & tried to move the cross-bars manually toward the back? (If the elastics don't work)

try the override switch on the pump/reservoir console. You pop out the button cover & it's there (also shown in the manual)

6. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    All of this is a bit above my grade.

I only got one manual which I believe only shows some basics operation.

7. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Check the hydraulic fluid and the straps.

If the straps haven't been replaced in awhile that could do it. Same with the fluid level.

8. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Based on your reports, there could be issues with the micro switches. This plagues early Ferrari auto convertible operations as well as Porsche, Mercedes, etc. Best to take to a shop at this point since you can also harm other components with your attempts.

9. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Try what clyde and Bob are suggesting. Look at the elastic straps right above your head on both sides. They pull that bar back after you unlatch the top and push it back and allow the top to fold. It will bind if the straps are weak. So push the bar back manually after unlatching. Check fluid level.

10. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    I did try to "help" the hydro system quit a bit already. As for fluids the systems works fine to close it back.

11. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Dont push the top back from the front. Just the bow that the elastic strap is attached too. That bow has to be back for the top to fold. This could be your issue or it could be the seat pots.

Either way, you own a spider, time to learn how the top works!

12. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    I am not sure what is the elastic strap, can you share a picture?

13. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Going to the garage now to give it another try.

14. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Couldn't figure out the elastic part, part. BUT I tried a few times and both seats started to move a little bit (I already had them very forward) but then nothing. Tried a few time.

15. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    #16 emac, May 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This may help. This picture is from 97 spider's thread on replacing his top. Do you see the small bar that is just in front of the driver headrest? That is the bar that the elastic strap pulls back. There is a strap on each side on the outer edge of the top. HTH.

Edit: Added one more pic I found.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Thank you emac. Yes I did push it back and nothing. The PPI report shows top not working probably because of seat sensor.

17. Alpert

Alpert Rookie

Apr 27, 2015
    Hanover / Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #18 Alpert, May 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hiya sl55,

nah, this here about the override for the top...

"All of this is a bit above my grade."

..isn't THAT difficult at all: I sure got two left hands but managed it last week though.

My top started too but went into beep-beep-mode shortly after due to low level in the hydraulic pump. But these override buttons ("C" for closing and "O" for opening) do not only care s*** for failing potentiometers but also try hard and give everything to operate the top open or close if needs be.

Just fold both seats to front and you can see and access the override button hole behind the seats from the driver's side - it's just clipped in; plastic tool preferred to pull it out to avoid scratching the leather. Then try to operate the buttons until you have professional help to get at the root of the issue.

Hope that helps / good luck
    Alpert

18. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    If the top shows no signs of malfunction and there is no beeping, then the top is probably waiting for the seats to be in the proper position. This won't happen if the seat pots are reading improperly. Regardless of position the top "thinks" they are back and is just waiting. Find a tech with the software to read and reset or software allow for replacement of the seat pots and reset.

19. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Can you guys share where is this overuse switch and how to use it?

20. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    If you have the owners manual, the top operation for both normal and emergency, is listed step by step. Section "H" in my manual. If you dont have it, I can email you my PDF of the manual. Just PM me your email.

21. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Thank you.

I am wondering if the emergency procedure works for putting the top down and not only up.

22. MManzonelli

MManzonelli Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Columbia, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Manzonelli
    Did you engage the parking brake? It must be on.....I did not see that in your procedure....

Also, doors must be closed.....

Mark

23. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Yes Parkin break and doors shut

24. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    I got the instruction on emergency procedure and cannot find the "g" bolt the say to introduce to manually close the top

Also when trying to depressurize the system I turn the screw two turns and nothing happen