Any daily driver California drivers here? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any daily driver California drivers here?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by matthoops23, Dec 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tdplastic

tdplastic Rookie

May 23, 2015
    I bought a 2011 California last May with 5100 miles on it. Since then I have put over 3200 miles on it. I stored it just a few days ago for the winter once the snow hit. I am planning on driving it about the same or more next year. I bought it to drive and enjoy it, although I do love looking at it as well. I feel that there are just too many Californias produced to hold their value of any significance in the future. Enjoy the car. It's a blast to drive and just sounds incredible.

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I think that if you daily drive your Cali, you just need to be prepared for much greater than average depreciation for a Ferrari. Also, I think the Cali will depreciate faster than a 458, even if both are not daily driven. I'm guessing it still will be better on that score than other "normal" cars you might otherwise drive daily. Just don't expect it to stay at anywhere near what you paid for it. The trade-off is all the fun you will get out of it by driving it daily!

My likely end-game with the Cali is to trade it via a Ferrari dealer. Yes, the deal I get likely won't be as good, but it's far less hassle and I can build up some "good will" that could help me get the next Ferrari, whichever it may be. I certainly won't want to sell it myself. The other alternative is to place it on consignment at a Ferrari dealer or independent.

tdplastic likes this.
  3. Fasthufi

Fasthufi Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 2, 2012
    Germany
    #28 Fasthufi, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

I drive my California every day. Now during winter I like the RWD with much power, which is really fun. You only need the right tires. I just came back from work and even now I could go up to 250 km/h on the Autobahn easily and it was still a very save driving. (Not much traffic).
    I keep my cars for about 10 years so I don´t care about how much I will get on resale. No money on earth can compensate for the fun I have everyday with the car.
    BTW I even drive my 1937 Jaguar SS 100 and my 1934 Wolseley Hornet special on snow in winter. Greetings from Germany,

Guenter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

tdplastic likes this.
  4. LuxuryLife

LuxuryLife Karting

Mar 19, 2015
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Love seeing people who actually DRIVE their exotics. I sold my Lamborghini with 28k miles on it. Buy them to drive them!

5. K.K

K.K Karting

Feb 8, 2014
    ISTANBUL
    Full Name:
    KORAYKIRCAL
  6. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    My 2010 Cali had around 23,700 miles on it when I bought about 5 months ago. Today it just turned 25,000 miles. I really enjoy driving this car as much as I can. It looks fantastic and is very versatile. Keep in mind I have 4 other cars of which 2 are exotics that I try to drive as well. So for me, 1300 miles in 5 months is pretty good.

7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I moved on to a 458 Spider. She and I have logged 70,000 Miles and counting!

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    MalibuGuy, our "High Miler Hero! :D

9. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I put 27K on my 2010. Never a single problem , replaced tires and brake pads once. Traded it in on a Huracan but I do miss not touching a button and have a convertible, especially when it is 85 degrees in central Texas in Feb.

10. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    That's Spider. We're not in Lambo land here;)

11. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks 4th gear! I guess that you are putting on some miles too! That's the way to enjoy a Ferrari (IMO)

I just realized that when I add the mileage I did with my 360 Modena, my total Ferrari mileage is 200,000!

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Amazing! Unfortunately, where I live it's only worthwhile for me to drive my Fcar 6 months out of 12. :(

13. cranky

cranky Karting

Aug 7, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Michael S
    I'm planning on buying your car when you are ready to sell it!

14. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #39 wrs, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So the sales guy is explaining the battery tender to me and I say, what is this for? Don't batteries recharge when you drive the car? LOLOLOL!!!!!!

I had my 2014 991TTS for almost three years. It came to me with 3k miles and I gave it to the Ferrari guy with 16,800. Never had battery problems and the only time the car didn't get driven at least two or three times a week was when I was on vacation or the weather was really, really bad. I like the car to look good so I hate to get it all dirty if I have detailed it but otherwise, my cars do get driven. I have a RR sport for other sorts of mileage like trips and so forth. Daily driving doesn't have to mean a lot of miles.

I plan to drive mine like I did my Porsche. Driving around last night with the top down was great. This is the first convertible I have owned since the 70s. Here was the last one.

15. jcarb123

jcarb123 Rookie

Sep 29, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    John Carbonaro
    I would like to know where all the high mile Calis are going. see some on eBay. I keep my warranty up on my 2012. But I am looking to move to a 458, someday. Any thoughts???

16. matthoops23

matthoops23 Rookie

Oct 14, 2015
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I am up to 36k miles now on my California...just had to take into Ferrari for some electrical issues...now waiting to see the pain of the bill....

17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Impressive mileage for an F-car. Can you provide more details? What maintenance issues have cropped up in your 36 K miles? Do you have warranty?
    T

18. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I don't daily drive mine anymore as the commute I have is just too long but for the first 14 months of ownership I did, taking her from 4k miles to 14k miles

My then boss also daily drove his F cars, initially a Cali, then a 458 Spider, finally moving to an F12

Neither of us buy our cars to look at / clean!!

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Great attitude! What did you switch to, if I might inquire.
    T

20. oac

oac Rookie

Apr 27, 2016
    I live in London and work from home so I don't technically 'daily' drive my California, but it is my only car and rarely do I wish for anything different.

21. cranky

cranky Karting

Aug 7, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Michael S
    I drive daily except when it rains. I live in Ohio, and it's been raining a lot. California is a great daily driver. Love my Cali.

22. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    34,500 miles of smiles on my DD 2015 Cali T

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #48 tomc, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017

Very nice. Good inspiration for the rest of us to get out there and drive these cars more!
    T

24. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I drive mine daily rain or shine. Top is down when not raining, even in the winter (when over 41 degrees F). Opens up ones eyes in the morning! Gotta have that sound...

Mitchell, you must only put the top up when washing your car, since I see it still never rains where you live...

:) :)