F430 exhaust valve question | FerrariChat

F430 exhaust valve question

Discussion in '360/430' started by sleepinglh, May 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sleepinglh

sleepinglh Karting

Jul 30, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Q
    #1 sleepinglh, May 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all, I got this F430 recently and installed manual valves to my f430 and it definitely keeps my valves open BUT have you guys noticed the car is loudest when cold started and goes quiet after a minute like a valve just flipped.... its the same with booth hoses pulled off.

Why does it do that? Are there other valves in the intake or something? Or is it simply cold start enrichment pumping extra fuel creating more exhaust volume? It's a big drop in sound.
    I'd love to get the cold start noise all the time got that deep brap brap sound like a ported rotary engine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    On cold start the car will run at a higher RPM to heat up the pre cats for about 30 secs or so and go down to a regular idle. All cars do this. It is just more apparent on a very loud car.

Congrats on the new car!

3. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Wow!! nice looking car. What wheels are that car?

4. sleepinglh

sleepinglh Karting

Jul 30, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Q
    Hmmm the rpm is only a few hundred higher I can't see to make it sound so loud with my foot pushing it to 1500rpm.
    Thanks it's f430 with scuderia body kit and those wheels are....kinda like scuderia style but I bet the original owner bought fake look alikes

5. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Not sure about your car, but on 360's after 2000 in the North American market, there is an air injection system that come on when cold start. Air is injected into the exhaust header. This is for cold start emission to help burn off the unburt fuel during cold starts. This makes a lot of noise for about 30 seconds or so and as soon as the air pump turns off ... instantly quiets down. I believe in Europe, there is no air injection on the 360.

Steve

6. sleepinglh

sleepinglh Karting

Jul 30, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Q
    I see..... thanks I'll look closer and see if I have that on my headers

7. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    looks a bit more than just a bodykit, with those pipes up there like a real scud.

8. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Sounds like the open/closed loop coding within the ECU to warm the cats up quicker. Car looks incredible, I am sure you're enjoying her so far. Let me know if/when you're looking to get some more performance and sound out of her!

9. sleepinglh

sleepinglh Karting

Jul 30, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Q
    I'll need new headers in the future, currently planning a simple 5psi turbo setup with water to air intercooler and flex fuel capability.
    It's gonna be a custom diy project as the underground racing kit cost more than my kidney could sell for.

10. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Very cool - keep us posted on that! Let me know if I can help at all, I have done a lot of one-off builds. What grade ethanol do you have access to?