Anyone own two 458's | FerrariChat

Anyone own two 458's

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dbops618, Jun 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dbops618

Dbops618 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2017
    florida
    Full Name:
    D. Hernandez
    I think the 458 is such a unique car that I am willing to purchase a coupe. Since I have a spider.....

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It's your money, but the coupe and spider are so close in driving experience, why would you want to? Yes, the coupe is marginally stiffer, and the spider offers fresh air, open top experience, but otherwise they are so close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I have the Speciale and the Speciale A. Admittedly, that's a different situation than having a coupe and spider base 458.

Ferrari's own marketing shows a decided delta between one and two passenger driving between the coupe and spider. As such, I think the spider does become much more of a date car whereas the coupe may be more of a hard driving car.

This different character becomes more obvious on the track due to the more significant flex and roll reported by many in the spider versus the coupe.

Bottom line is, if you love the car, like many of us here do, than do what you want! By speccing both cars differently, they are both going to be unique.

As a qualifier, I am seriously touched. I have both a coupe and spider of four different cars: Scud/16M, 458S/SA, McLaren 675, Aventador SV.

Ash Patel and Melvok like this.
  4. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    I have spent a good bit of time driving both a coupe and a spider on the same local back roads we use for testing. The Spider is a joy to drive by virtue of the sights and sounds. But dynamically, it's quite a bit behind the coupe when you are driving it hard. The coupe feels better the harder you drive it whereas the spider feels good up to 7/10ths and then worse (less precise and less predictable) above that. Yet whenever i spend time in a spider, i still enjoy it immensely. Turns out you only really drive hard a small fraction of the time. I own a coupe btw.

5. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    With all due respect, I disagree. The driving EXPERIENCE of these two different cars is VERY different. I think the OP knows this, that's why he's considering ownership of both.

To the OP's question, if you think owning both will make you happy, DO IT. I own three 458's (all coupes, two Speciales) and this is what makes ME happy. I don't regret it one bit, and it makes me happy every time I walk into the garage -- even happier when I take one for a drive.

Avia11 likes this.
  6. Gofast430

Gofast430 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Don Dearmore
    I have a 2013 Italia and a 2013 Spider. Both are great cars and I love
    driving both.

7. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    I have lots of clients that own multiple's - other than having Spider/Coupe and such for their different driving experiences, a lot of them like setting the cars up differently. A popular "trend" I see is they'll keep one in OEM form and preserve it very well, and have another setup for street/track use to not worry about driving whenever they please.

8. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Good point Travis! I'm keeping my Speciales bone-stock, whereas with the Italia I've gone crazy with mods! :) (including Fabspeed's fabulous 200-cell cats!!)

9. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I would do it if the cars were kept in different locations.

Having both side by side seems slightly redundant to me if the coupe isn't used on track. Unless you're really driving it hard I think the spider will give you all the performance you could ever use (or need) on the street.

Obviously it's your choice, and the only thing better than one Ferrari is two, but that doesn't mean you need two 458s :)

10. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    #10 Eilig, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    None of us "*NEED*" Ferraris.... perhaps the wrong word... :)

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

You're right. I should have said "performance," not "driving experience," as they are different in that respect. And of course since it's his money, he should do what pleases him!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My suggestion- if budget allows- go for the 458 Speciale. This will increase the difference between the two.

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have a 458 Speciale and a 2013 458 Spider.
    Extremely different cars that compliment each other very well, depending upon what I am doing that day I decide:
    -Speciale with friends charging back country roads, used less often, more "special."
    -Spider on sunny days, driving to restaurants, along slow coastal roads admiring scenery.
    Because of Speciale safely tucked away in garage the Spider is more "free" for long mile runs (just did 3500 mile road trip with friends).

14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    The ideal pair - very nice.
    Of course, photos would only enhance this notion... :)

15. aznflightfreak23

Apr 16, 2012
    If you already have a 458 spider I would highly suggest adding a 458 Speciale. The last best sounding NA V8 produced.

16. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    I've got a 458 speciale and a 458 challenge. they definitely don't feel the same on the track. the speciale is a great car. like an earlier comment, i did consider getting two - one to abuse on the track and one to stay 'OEM'. But then I decided to just get a real track car instead. ;)

tekaefixe likes this.
  17. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Good move!

18. Dbops618

Dbops618 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2017
    florida
    Full Name:
    D. Hernandez
    Nice!!!! And well said

19. Dbops618

Dbops618 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2017
    florida
    Full Name:
    D. Hernandez
    It's nice to see different opinions . I would get the coupe as a second 458. Perhaps anlthrblast year of production and a completely different color

20. Dbops618

Dbops618 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2017
    florida
    Full Name:
    D. Hernandez
    If the speciale drops in price a bit of course I would lean in that direction

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    As a 458 Italia and Speciale and 488 owner....you should really check out the 488.

22. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Since you own a 458, get the 488 or 488M

That will make a bigger difference than getting a second 458! Right?

(I decided to add the 812-- that's got more chassis stiffness plus more HP)

23. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    If you wanted to buy the speciale and keep your spider I could understand that, but I wouldn't get the regular 458 when you have the spider. That is just me.

24. Dbops618

Dbops618 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2017
    florida
    Full Name:
    D. Hernandez
    I appreciate all the input

25. martisracing

martisracing Karting

Nov 2, 2011
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I also have a Speciale and a 458 Spider. I had the Speciale first and because of the increasing values of it I decided to get a Spider that could be used more for European road trips. As these are always in the summer it has the added advantage of open top motoring. This year it went to Sicily over Easter (involving a 21 hour ferry crossing) and in august will make its annual trip to Corsica (another 5 hour ferry crossing).
    As others have said they are very different cars the Speciale being for more focused. If you want to have 2 x 458s it is the way to go.