Alfa Romeo Giulia | Page 41 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MacGeek

MacGeek Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2007
    Torino, Italy
    I wasn't expressing an opinion when I advised not to hold your breath for a Giulia coupé ;)

There will be a F-Type competitor rather than an Italian 4-series. And still don't hold your breath because it's not coming soon.

2. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Sad or reality, Alfa will more likely build another SUV or two before making a cabrio or coupe based off the Giulia. Market trends are changing the game as we speak.

I personally don't care if Alfa makes 2 or 3 crossovers, so long as they commit to making interesting sports cars or saloons.

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well that would be interesting, sort of like an updated less expensive 8C :)... Alfa really needs to work on standing out with more unique styling again like they did on the 8C not so long ago. The new Giulia and Stelvio really look like all the rest in their respective classes. Nothing very unique at all other than mechanically.

4. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    @F1tommy...not because of I have one..but I have to disagree with you...when people see my Quadrifoglio...they either ask WOW what is that???...as it doesn't look like everything else on the road...especially from the nose...OR they know Alfa Romeo and marvel at seeing it as they have not seen one in the flesh yet....

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    A bit disappointing, for us tall guys.
    When you move the seat all the way back, the B-pillar is too far forward to serve as a good shoulder harness anchor point, in a 4-door.

But I'll settle for FCA focusing on building a dealer network that can actually fix the cars they sell. ;)

6. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Was that you on I 684 yesterday at around 730 a.m.?

Haven't seen a Giulia in the wild until yesterday; then saw a QF as noted above and a base in Hauppague. Gorgeous.

7. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #1007 DGS, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have to disagree with this.

For years, Alfa made "stylish" FWD machines that were no better than a Camry in Italian shoes.
    And had nothing worth selling in the US.

Now they're building cars worthy of the "Alfa" name.

While Italian cars may have had Farina or Bertone coachwork added, the core was the Italian chassis -- something unique "mechanically". ;)

The '80s GTV-6 looked a lot like the rest of the market, but it was a fabulous machine ... mechanically. ;)

There's not much point making cars look different just to look different.
    If you get the greasy bits right, the car will sell ...
    ... then everyone else will copy your coachwork. :p

(Look how many cars in the '60s and '70s took styling cues from the 250 GTO.)

Of course, if you want to have your car "unique looking", you can make aftermarket changes.
    Such as a Chia car, or the Fiat 500e Stormtrooper. :p
    (Harrison Ford + Millennium Falcon = Ford Falcon? ;))
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #1008 F1tommy, Jun 13, 2017
    Yep it looks exactly like a 1980's BMW :) If anything BMW copied Alfa styling back then.

Remember the GTV6 started out as the Alfetta GTV wich was designed by Ital Design in the late 1960's and early 1970's with the final result being shown to Alfa Romeo in 1972 for review.

Who designed the new Giulia and Stelvio?? All in house I believe. The chassis on the Giulia is wonderful, but the styling is very much BMWish, wich is not a bad thing, but not different or original.

9. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Nope didn't have it out yesterday AM.

10. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I upgraded from a '75 Alfetta GT to an '81 GTV-6 after I fragged the second gear synchros in the Alfetta's transaxle.

Both were wonderful cars, but the GTV-6 was amazing.
    It didn't really come alive until 40 mph or so.

The Alfetta had a nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution.
    When they put the larger mill in the GTV-6, they added a huge rear bumper to balance it. :p

It was the only chassis I ever had that could switch from braking to acceleration *in* a turn, without disrupting the suspension.
    (I lost count of the number of Bimmers I out-braked into a corner, because of that.)

But, given that I'm looking at the Giulia for when the EVO X MR needs replacing, it's not like it has to be all that "pretty" to beat the "angry lizard" EVO. :p

11. Hiper

Hiper Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    Home
    Apart from the Giulia and Stelvio, there's a E-segment sedan, larger SUV, and sports car (8C replacement) in the pipeline, with another 2-3 models under development.

FCA aims to have 7-8 models under Alfa.

12. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Then there are at least 2 in westchester. Good.

13. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    I know of one white Giulia in Harrison, a Q4, and the twin to my car in Greenwich CT.
    otherwise I have not seen another Giulia much less a Quad since I got my car in December.

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    i still havent seen any around here and i live 2 miles from the dealer. Same thing for the Maserati Kubang.

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I hear from a reliable source that your local dealer sold more Giulia's than any other dealer in the USA this year. I have now seen three on the streets around the Chicago area, but they are still a very rare sight. The numbers your dealer sold is very encouraging.

16. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Where are they here?? The Chicagoland area has a few Alfa dealers so i assume the Naperville dealer is not supplying Chicago. Id think the Schaumburg dealer is the one for that.

17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Not sure, but people will drive a few miles for the best deal on a rare car like the Giulia, I know I would. How many do you see on their lot??

And some of these area dealers are FIAT upgrades, so I am not sure how well equipped they are to handle Alfa's!!! By the way, I do not work for this dealer or any other.

18. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Earlier this week, they had at least 6 Giulias outside.

19. Edc2104

Edc2104 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2011
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Evan
    #1019 Edc2104, Jun 14, 2017
    Lots of them around here!

20. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I have seen only one on the road. a qf 4 mos ago on the toll road in OC. it came up on me quickly and was quite distinctive looking as it approached. have not seen another since

21. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks, I want both Alfa and jaguar to succeed.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  23. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Sad. But cant say i am surprised.

24. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    is anyone surprised? coming to market with sedan prior to suv was ridiculous. only way they had a chance was to start with 4c and stelvio at same time. and have all the info ready from the start. not the silly 'well have them in stock soon' bs. AND forget the dealer markup premiums.

having said that im still interested in a stelvio qf to replace my rr next yr IF i can lease it for a competitive rate vs macan, f pace, etc

25. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Wait...they have a premium??? For which model??