Maserati Khamsin | Page 278 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    #6926 rga, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello

would this fit the spec ?

found on a Brunei Webpage

Best regards
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6927 Nembo1777, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Hi Roger,

!!!??? Holy Modena that is quite a surprise, it was perhaps started on the orders of Fredi Bolkiah the Sultan's brother who was excommunicated due to spending too much state money on cars wine women and song. It seems even if the taste is typically flamboyant and over the top almost a signature of his that there was some competence at work there. Now you have to find us the chassis number: good luck on that one:)

The one I was referring to was in the NW US and had wider wheel arches and some nose mods but nothing this elaborate. I will try and find the photos can't recall the chassis number a late US car.

Personally I would not modify the body -assuming I find a lost car to save as I would never modify a good car- just maybe get rid of the door handles for latches like on Ferrari BB's. Weight loss and power increase, six speed gearbox is what I have in mind but just a pipe dream for now.

Best regards,

Marc

3. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Thank you Jack and Bob for your responses.. Any and all help is appreciated.

Bob.... Perhaps it's my eyes or yours.. But I didn't think it was all that blurry!! But,
    I am getting old... So, it's probably my eyes! :)

Jack.... I think you have been hanging out with Marc Sonnery too much!! His US bumper
    theories are rubbing off on you! :)

Bob referenced the micro-switch located at the rear carb.. Interesting, when I last
    changed the air filter, I didn't notice this switch.. I will have to check on that.. Maybe
    it's my eyes again :)... If any other K owners could/would provide a picture of this
    switch, it might be helpful.. Also, it would be good for other K owners to post diagrams
    of their vacuum system...

Jack provided some info on testing the vacuum system. Some of this I will try.
    However, as both valves are electrically disconnected, testing the vacuum at the
    distributor at various states of engine speed will probably not tell me much. It is
    interesting that the car actually idles nicely and seems to have good performance!
    It appears that the micro switch, if still there, and its related electro-valve are not
    being utilized as the electro-valve has been disconnected. And as Bob indicates,
    it is not really needed...

Mike

4. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    #6929 rga, Jul 6, 2017
    Hello Marc

then you probably mean this one, I do not have the Chassis no of both of them ...

hope they don't give you nightmares, taste is difficult to define
    my wife thinks Khamsins are ugly, even when they are original !

Best regards

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Roger, yes that is the one it is a late US car tampered with in the pacific Nortwest.

Yuk clueless like putting tabasco on truffles. Ladies know better so I don't argue with them but after a ride in a K they usually, no always have a big wow smile:)

Best regards,

Marc

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Parts manual

Here's the microswitch: #74

Maserati Khamsin - Carburetor: Page 010 | Order Online Eurospares

Here's what it connects to: #69

Maserati Khamsin - Air intake manifold and filter: Page 009 | Order Online Eurospares

There's more documentation of this system under the Khamsin then there is under the Bora. It's not even covered on Eurospares online parts catalog.

Bob S.

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I see the last survivor of the Mohican pro US bumper brigade is still offering resistance: we shall prevail Sir;-)!

8. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Thank you Bob... I should have checked the parts manual first! I don't know why
    I always forget to do that....

Since I don't see any wires dangling around the back of the intake manifold, I suspect,
    but will need to verify, that the micro switch has been removed.

If it has been removed, that would mean one of the electro valves could be removed as
    it does nothing. I could then seal off the distributer vacuum port, as it is no longer
    used. Also, I could then check the vacuum at the vacuum tank, and if sufficient, could
    tee off to the two hoses going into the dashboard, thus able to remove the second
    electro valve. Does this sound about right?

I really appreciate all the help on this.. I am not a fan of keeping useless and non-
    functioning equipment on a car....

Thanks...

Mike

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Of course then you're not getting the full range of ignition advance as intended for this setup. The vacuum bleeds off slowly and the distributor advances as a result of that then the mechanical advance takes over. I found it rather fussy and odd feeling just off throttle as I expect most people did. But I don't know if there is any more total advance on the European tuning for these engines? I just don't remember.

Perhaps someone else can chime in?

But I do remember that the advance curve is different for the European dizzies with a non emissions tuned V8. So I think it could be worth your while to find out what you have in that dizzy. It may be already changed or not.

It's not listed any other way for the Khamsin, on their website at least. So does this mean all Khamsins came this way with the thermal reactor exhaust headers etc? By the advent of the QPIII in what 79? They were using catalytic converters instead. Though the parts manual does show the same setup? Curious ... oh the mysteries ... :D

So check out your QPIII for that switch as well. That one had the vacuum operated flaps for the air cleaner along with a post shutdown extraction pump and carbon canisters. Just like the early Biturbos did. My Bora had all of that crap minus the flaps along with a thermal switch on the water hose that exits the RR head. You can see the original on Ivan's Bora.

10. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Hi, does anyone have a photograph, or a part number/manufacturer, for the tailgate gas strut?

Mine won't hold the gate open, so I'm going to have them re-gassed but before I do that I would like to check they are the originals.

Thanks

Mark

11. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi Mark,

I'm
    Away at the moment, but I have my originals which I can photograph for you.
    I had replacements made many years ago, but if you do find someone who can renovate the originals in th U.K. I'd appreciate a heads up.

Bal

12. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Mark...

Please keep us posted on your rear gas strut search and results.. I suspect many
    of us K owners could use whatever info you come up with...

Mike

13. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    #6938 series1, Jul 11, 2017
  14. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Mark,
    The strut in the first pic is the original.
    I took mine to a manufacturer, who told me they could not be re-gassed, something to do with the type of seal or the way it was crimped in, but it couldn't connect to their pump.
    Unfortunately they could not come up with an alternative either.
    Best,
    Jack.

15. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Guys,

That sounds like the company I used to make replacements.
    They couldn't do anything with the originals for me Iirc.

Let me get back next week and I'll send you details. Coz that hatch is ???dy heavy when it falls on your head!

Bal

16. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Thanks all, They are a super helpful company. I have removed the struts. They are going to see if they can do anything with them.

There were another set of struts in the boot but not the right length. I guess the previous owner has been trying to fix this.

I googled Corte & cosso, they still seem to be in business but only making shock absorbers.

17. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
  18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  19. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    A European Khamsin in the USA, very nice!
    Would be interesting to know how it got there, can not find that in the description. One of the pictures shows the name of a Swiss dealer, so the one and only owner was probably Swiss? And does it run or has it been stored for decades?

Beautiful interiors in both cars. Bodywork and/or grille under the front bumper look like they could use some attention.

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6945 Nembo1777, Jul 22, 2017
    Hello all,

Good catch Bob I wrote the catalog bio of that one but certainly not the tech specs above lol and I just told them to correct it.

Reminds me of Christie's 10 year ago writing that the Khamsin spyder had hydraulic...suspension:) By the way the spyder can now be bought, its owner has asked me to see who might be interested, I am curious as to what people think it is worth, of course the owner has a rather ambitious opinion of its value:) Please let me know.

Back to 1224 I consigned that car to the auction via a client of mine, it was just repainted in its original Tabacco, stunning color.

I had seen it just once in 2000 during Maser Miglia, Sam Dibitonto owned it then and when we stopped overnight in Reno (where le lived) he joined us for dinner. Below the poor shots I took then. The car is undergoing a service in a top shop in time for Monterey.

The other one #210 I did not know, of course it was tucked away in...Guatemala from new, that answers your question AMLC. Where do you see a mention of Switzerland? Fabio Collina of Maserati Classiche supplied me the factory data: confirmed new straight to Guatemala. it was with the owner who had all the Group B cars consigned to that same auction.

It will be the first time that two good Khamsins are offered in a US auction in ages, plus both no reserve. I bet at least one of them will cross the pond to Europe but I hope enough Americans appreciate them now and seeing them without the Ralph Nader US spec garbage truck bumpers will help more people realize how stunning they are in person.

We shall find out in less than a month:)

Best regards,

Marc

21. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Hello----

Those abominations should be criminalized on all Maserati GT cars.
    Especially on Boras, Khamsins and Meraks.

Those resisting should be sent to a North Korean prison on a mandatory 3 year sabbatical.

IMO, these things are the number one reason the general public have not appreciated the as-designed elegance of these cars.

Thanks.

22. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    These are direct replacements, not sure if they would be OEM?

23. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Hi Marc,

A sticker from Bjarsch in Schlieren: https://images2.bonhams.com/image?src=Images/live/2017-06/20/24639667-4-19.jpg

I had seen that sticker before: #246, for sale a few months ago in Switzerland, has a similar sticker, but on the body not on the glass

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Good morning AMLC,

Eagle eyed catch, well done. Well it seems the man -a very wealthy one since he had all these Group B cars being sold in the same auction- also used the car in Europe which makes sense considering Guatemalan roads are and more so were probably not the best.

My ex Khamsin was in Costa Rica for a year in the early mid nineties, just one year and as you know there are few exotics in those countries.

Best regards,

Marc