How do you remove the vent plates at base of windshield? | FerrariChat

How do you remove the vent plates at base of windshield?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Need4Spd, Jul 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    How do you do this? Mine have turned sticky and greasy looking. I've been able to remove the other sticky pieces and strip the sticky stuff (91% rubbing alcohol works great!). But how do you remove the vent plates (item 14 in this diagram)?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. kommons

kommons Karting

Sep 30, 2013
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    To do it properly, Dash has to be removed. :-(

3. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    If still in original condition, the plastic bits have some poles that protrude down and on the underside some gripping washers slide on and lock.

So the bodge, is that people try to remove them from the top and brake the the plastic poles.

Sadly the correct way is remove the top dash.

4. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Dash has to be removed. Big job. I wound up trading my 360 in when those vents warped lol.

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I had the same issue and was able to clean them in place. I protected the dash and used the same process you used for the other parts. Lots of paper towels and had to clean the windshield afterwards. You can do them in place

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    99% works better :)

But, bare plastic does not look anywhere as good as a proper refinished part. That said, I don't advocate removing the dash to refinish those parts unless you are looking for pristine. I would definitely start with cleaning in place but try to do something (painter's tape) to protect the leather.

Out of all the refinishing we do, I think we have only done those parts a few times.

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Ugh. Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I will try cleaning them in place first, and yes, I agree that properly refinished parts look better.

8. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    There's a guy here who sells the aluminum equivalent replacements for not much money.

So if you do take out the dash to fix consider putting in something that will last for a long time.

One of mine is cracked and all are warped and sticky...not sure what to do, maybe will try doing them in place.

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Btw Dave, for refinishing the round dash vents, do we send you the entire vent or just the trim rings?

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    We welcome the entire vent assembly and if you send the entire vent, we handle the disassembly and reassembly and we clean the vent body and slats real well. You may also just send the rings. The cost is the same so I recommend letting us do the full service for you :)

11. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Why cant you take the windshield out to replace them.. seems cheaper/ easier than removing the whole dash.

papou likes this.
  12. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    Not sure about the easiness of the windshield but I guess it comes out with a non-replaceable gasket/assembly so you need a new part plus re-sealing it/etc.

Try pricing out a 360 windshield and let me know what you think [disclaimer: I had to get mine replaced due to a crack about 2 years ago]

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It isn't the top access, it is the clips on the bottom. If you pry out the vents the stems that hold them in will snap off with the slips on the bottom still there. Then you have broken vents and you take apart the dash anyway.

My solution is wait until I redo the dash, then put in some metal ones.

14. Thrasher

Thrasher Formula Junior

May 26, 2012
    London UK
    Just did mine on the Stradale: yup had to remove the dash but fitted new ones from ferrari and now looks ace again.

15. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #15 mwstewart, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Cheap crap like most other fittings in the car. Personally, I don't think it's worth removing the dash for these. If you have other jobs to do then fair enough, but otherwise I would be tempted to use three drywall anchors per vent and three countersunk socket heads and countersunk washers to suit - after all, a lot of other interior parts are secured with external fastenings.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    In Arizona we have windshield replacement with no out of pocket cost. Its a mandatory insurance on full coverage vehicles

17. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    Same here but the insurance company ended up paying $4.5K for the windshield, gaskets, etc. + labor to install it...

So it can't be a free cost to remove/replace windshield.

18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I'd sooner r&r the dash than r&r the windshield, but doing the latter doesn't help because the fasteners for the vent plates are attached from the bottom, as noted above. I'm not sure about using top fasteners, either, as the windshield comes very close to the vent plates and it doesn't look like there's room to get a screwdriver in there, even one with a 90 degree head. In fact, it's not even easy to get the leather and stitching masked off, the space is so tight. At least it's so out of the way that you don't accidentally touch it, like the other sticky surfaces. But the greasy looking shine is a glare issue.

19. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Eventually the vents will warp and that's when you really want to address this. I was able to clean mine in the beginning, but when they started to lift out of the dash and warp I was done.

20. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I will be doing the leather dash this winter...who is selling the metal vents here...anyone?

21. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    PM Rizzo308 - I bought a set from him and quality looks very good

22. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    I saw pix of the metal vent 'plates' on this forum. They are just thin flat sheet metal. there are no channels that direct the air flow as with the OEM vents.

Removing/replacing the windshield will not get you to removing/replacing the vents!!!

I had a bubble in the dash leather that had to be fixed. I removed the dash myself... take lots of pix, parts pix from Ricambi, and other posted threads. A couple of years ago I had earlier used black silicone sealer (six or eight dabs) to glue the vents back in. Now with the dash out and recovered, I removed the small posts and drilled c'sink holes for Allen socket black oxide flat head screws. Ace Hardware had them. The vents were reinstalled (only use light pressure to tighten screws) and dash replaced. You would never know the screws are there.

Good luck no matter how you go about this repair.

23. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    Can anyone confirm if the metal ones can be installed with windshield out? Can they just be fastened from above, or does it need to be tightened from bottom? My current vent is already out, so no need to remove old vent.

24. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    I was supplied some screws with the metal vents, but I haven't fitted anything yet.
    I just bought them to have handy for when I eventually pull my dash out to have the stretched leather sorted

25. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    So you can screw it in from the top?