My new 488, dead on hwy | Page 4 | FerrariChat

My new 488, dead on hwy

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by azilko, Jul 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That had to be a scary experience being stuck there in the middle of the left lane on a busy multi-lane highway. You are lucky this didn't cause a serious accident. I'm glad to hear that you (and the other motorists on the road) are okay.

I would not worry about the reliability of the car in the future once it has been fixed by FOS. They will fix this problem and it will not happen again. Just make sure that you get a good explanation of what caused the issue and make sure that they have fixed it properly. Then go drive the car and forget about this incident...soon this will be a distant memory and you will be enjoying and trusting the car. All of the smiles behind the wheel will quickly make you forget the breakdown.

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I thought it moved at a higher speed, with this comment I was questioning his speed

3. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Let's provide him at least mental support!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

4. azilko

azilko Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    It was rush hour type traffic. I was limited by everyone around me. Speed limit in the area is 60, so 70 is where everyone in the fast lane typically cruises. I try to keep under 10 over due to "red Ferrari".

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If you lose the engine, you lose the hydraulic steering since it is powered by the belt.

So that isn't mysterious at all.

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    You are lucky to be alive.

People in my town LA get killed all the time. It won't make the news.

On the 101 freeway there isn't a soft shoulder, and if your car dies you run a good chance of being hit. A few years back, I heard about a guy who owned a California who died on the 101. A few weeks later I was stuck on the 101 in bumper to bumper traffic. I passed by some Cali trim pieces that were still on the edge of the number 1 lane right next to the concrete divider. It was pretty spooky. Esp since I owned that car for a few years too.

Anyway, the lemon law begins with the first occurrence of a problem which is serious. (Note your mileage) Your problem already meets that criterion. If the dealer can't fix it after three attempts then you can get the car lemoned out.

(Perhaps Alternator, wiring harness, or master ECU?)

Unless you ran out of gas, the dealer needs to identify the problem fix it and then test drive it for 50 miles

7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The car is still steerable though; the wheel just gets heavier. The same thing happens to the brakes after 2-3 applications but you can still stop, albeit in a greater distance.

8. azilko

azilko Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    So FOS said on Saturday night, that they couldn't approve paying for an enclosed trailer that the trucking company that picked my car up on the highway was able to use as it'd an expense that only Ferrari roadside could approve, and everyone was out for the night.

Sunday, FOS that they had an enclosed trailer set to pick up the car first thing today as it was tied up on Monday. I checked in w/ Eric around noon today, only to find out that the trailer didn't have the "right equipment", and they're still trying to find a way to get it. I find it incredibly odd, that they wouldn't have checked for the "right equipment" when setting up the tow...

All the while, the car is stuck at some random towing company's shop, window down, car unlocked...

No one know when they can get someone to get the car.

Complete garbage IMO. It shouldn't be this difficult to get someone to come get it. Hell, they could have hired someone from Seattle to drive over, pick it up, and bring it to them.

At this rate, I doubt they'll get it before the end of the week (if not next week), and who knows how long it'll take to fix.

This was one of my concerns with buying a car that didn't have a local dealership.

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I feel for you living so far away from a dealership :(

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #85 TheMayor, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    I would say this in unacceptable. Maybe people here who deal with FOS can voice their displeasure. Dealers do pay attention to their best customers.

If this car is in some highway patrol impound lot it should not be their. The dealer should have sent it to an FCA dealership until it was picked up. One phone call and it's done.

Given the window is stuck down they would have to be fools to leave it their a week. Or maybe they are...

Let me tell you a story of my Mini Cooper-- the only new car I had that stranded me-- when the gearbox locked up at LAX at 2 in the morning.

I call their 800 emergency service. A person there contacted a tow truck to get it. It took 2 hours but a flatbed truck picked up the car with instructions to bring it to the dealer, about 15 miles away.

The dealer lot was not open until 7 so he dropped it off at an impound lot and contracted the dealer. At 8 in the morning the dealer called me, explained the situation, and that he expected the car around 10 am. When it arrived he texted me and said his mechanic was already looking at it. I got it back the next day with an explanation of what happened.

Now, this is a lowly $30k mini. The FOS has some explaining to do

11. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    You are unnecessarily putting fuel on the fire and mixing up things with your example and his current predicament.

Something goes wrong then you call roadside assistance. Ferrari roadside assistance would have agreements with various towing companies around the country at negotiated rates to bring the car to the nearest ferrari dealer. This part failed as the local flatbed service probably wasn't willing to tow the car at the price that ferrari roadside assistance was willing to pay.

The dealer is now trying to go beyond what their responsibility is. They are probably trying to find someone that is willing to do the tow with what ferrari roadside assistance is willing to pay.

Due to issues happening with transport most ferrari dealers do not have their own in house transport.

This isn't a failure of Ferrari of Seattle. What would have happened if he bought the car private party or from a different dealer?

A personal example of mine is with a Scud. Out of warranty and it broke down in NAPA in the middle of nowhere on a long deserted street and we were sitting on the ground in 100+ degree heat. I called AAA for a tow. They call back after a couple of hours and tell me that there is no flat bed service until two days later and that I would have to wait. I got it done through a different tow company but this was mainly an issue with the local towing companies not willing to move the car for what AAA or in OP's case Ferrari roadside assistance is willing to pay.

Your great service wasn't from the dealer but rather from Mini roadside assistance.

12. Dbops618

Dbops618 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2017
    florida
    Full Name:
    D. Hernandez
    You are being quite kind .....::I would bkasT that dealer. Get myself an attorney and call them out in every social media possible

13. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Give them a chance to make it right. But I agree, if they don't fix the issue, they should be taken to task.

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #89 Ferrari 308 GTB, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    So its now day 5 and nothing happened? I would be asking for my money back asap..then they can do what the want with it.looks like they could't care less as they nickel n dime to get a cheap transport.

If you keep it then what happens next time you have a problem with it?

15. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'm really sorry that you had this negative experience with your first Ferrari. Once they sort things out you'll get your confidence back!

BTW, my guess is a loose ground. I don't know how many grounds a 488GTB has, but as I recall my Stradales had something like 13 grounds. If you've ever experienced a loose ground on modern cars, it's unbelievable what can happen.

In my experience, mechanics don't think about loose ground wire(s). When you see the mechanic pulling his hair out trying to figure out why all this happened, mention loose ground wire. If it turns out you're right, then you're a genius. If you're wrong, hey, what do they expect? You're not a mechanic :)

Good luck. I bet it will turn out to be something simple.

16. azilko

azilko Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    The problem with this statement, is the car has been sitting at a lot since Saturday, waiting and allowing for literally anyone in America to pick it up. Literally, Ferrari could send anyone. FoS could send anyone. It's still there tonight. No communicated plan for tomorrow pick up either.

I get that I didn't call Ferrari roadside assistance. However, the dealer said they were taking care of it, and I'd have to assume that they should have by now., and I 100% know they've spoken with Ferrari roadside assistance. When the event happened, the dealer told me I no longer needed to call roadside as they had it taken care of. I'd have thought that they would have after going on 4-5 days now.

I cringe to think about what people at the shop it's sitting at have done to it. The car will likely need a detail.

17. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    What you should have done is have the car towed back to your house where it can be garaged. Wouldn't this have been better? You at least have the peace of mind and can work out something for the flat bed to arrive.

18. azilko

azilko Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    The night it happened, the dealer first told me they'd work with the shipping company (who, at the time, had access to an enclosed trailer) to ship it back Sunday. Come Sunday, they needed to get approval from Ferrari roadside assistance due to cost. Additionally, I was out of town Sunday, and the truck that picked up the car, didn't have the wheel rollers. He had to call someone out while I was stuck in traffic to get them as the car isn't in neutral. As such, when he dropped me off, he had no immediate way to unload it without calling another truck back out. Considering it was supposed to ship out the next morning, the universal consensus was to store it inside, at the trucking companies indoor storage, and they'd be able to take it the next morning.

Had I known it'd be 4-5+ days, there's no way it'd have been stored there.

19. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter

I wasn't pointing any blame at your in any way .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. azilko

azilko Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Ahh, okay, thanks. I'm a little gun shy lately. Appreciate the clarification.

21. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If it's been 5 days, I take back what I said earlier. I'd be unleashing holy hell on the dealership. Not cool at all. Time to escalate.

22. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I have an 18 year history with FOS as have many here in the Seattle area and their service is one reason I bought my 458 Spider from them. What you are experiencing is so out of the ordinary, I can't relate to it. What is surprising is that Eric Brickley or one of his service advisors hasn't been on the phone to you constantly explaining what's going on and what their issues are.

If I was FOS, I would NOT trust anybody to move the car I didn't have experience with.

There are just a few long haul vans that are qualified to carry exotics and one may not be in the area. Spokane is almost 300 miles from Seattle and 750 miles from Steve Harris in Salt Lake.

23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #98 Ferrari 308 GTB, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    How can I be putting fuel on the fire by stating the obvious?

If anyone thinks letting a customer's new $300k car sit in some unknown impound lot with the window open for 5 days is acceptable, please raise your hand.

This I gotta see.

All the dealer had to do is move it to any FCA dealer. He didn't even bother to do that.

A good way to treat a customer? Just a hunch but I'm guessing "no".

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's a little late to be worrying about a tow truck when the highway patrol got it out of the road. I don't think they were too worried.