Exotic Hides for interior trim - Zebra | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Exotic Hides for interior trim - Zebra

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Russ Gould, Jul 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Let's be practical for a minute.....

How would you keep any real fur / hair clean inside a car ?

I think it would start to look and smell pretty bad after a while.

Suede is bad enough.....but any fur that you can't remove completely and have the entire thing professionally cleaned from time to time, I would think would be impossible ?

2. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Maybe there is TROLL skin in this conversation .. just sayin'

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Pics to prove the "Zebra Skin and Ferrari", otherwise this is a total BS thread.

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #29 tritone, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    #30 Russ Gould, Aug 7, 2017
  6. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Ok then....

Now the next question is...

WTH are you thinking?????????????????????? Step awaaaaay from the bottle.

7. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
  8. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    It's not a concours car, who cares if Russ zebra's the interior? It's gonna look cool in a Scarface kind of way I think. :D

9. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #34 ernie, Aug 7, 2017
  10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'm currently having the interior of my Ferrari re-done in Feathers From Bird Land.

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Money > Taste. ;)

12. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Russ,

Nice Zebra, most people don't understand the importance of REGULATED hunting in Africa, the money brought in from Foreign hunters funds most of Africa's conservation efforts for wildlife... Anyway there are plenty of zebra skin scraps available from most taxidermists. I would go that route before scrapping a beautiful rug for some interior parts.

13. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Why Patrick?? Aesthetically, or is because you feel "bad" for the Zebra?

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #39 thorn, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    My personal opinion on this has nothing to do with the ethics of hunting, nor feeling sad that a zebra was killed... it's not even about what's "appropriate" for a Ferrari.

It's just about acknowledging something that's utterly, incredibly tacky. You'd get the same reaction walking about in leopard-skinned yoga pants, or having Kim Kardashian's face tattooed on your neck. Sure, it's your car (or body), but some fashion choices are just better thrown in a dumpster fire.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    #40 Russ Gould, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    OK so you guys think vinyl trying to look like cow hide is not tacky? How about carpet on the door cards? How about a red interior? At some level, driving a Ferrari is vulgar period.

I think there is some confusion about the market's obsession with originality and good taste. This is not a real GTO ... it's a 308 with a 355 subframe and motor, custom exhaust, custom oil cooler and ducting, programmable engine management system, custom hydraulic clutch, custom gear linkage, aftermarket GTO body panels, later Speedlines, and black/red tennis shoe seats. There is nothing correct about this car. It's not even a hard top. It is, however, going to be fast. And I may as well have some fun with it. I have some other interior mods in mind which I won't go into out of concern for certain members' blood pressure.

It's called a restomod I believe.

Anyway as I said my question was purely technical. Not looking for aesthetic input. This is the technical forum, right?

16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Judging from the thread heading you were not asking a technical question, but looking for an opinion..

17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I guess you asking this would mean you think the above examples are tacky in comparison to.........Zebra?

It's not -at all- an excuse that the car is not original. No one is saying it needs to be. Pretty much agreed all around that it would be ugly and tacky.

Still not understanding how this is a 355 powered 288 conversion and you need a technical forum to know if you can cover the interior with Zebra hide? How could this not be possible? I'm sure if you had some available and so desired, an upholsterer could do the whole car in elephant nut sacks.

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Whatever someone does. It's all a matter of taste.

https://goo.gl/images/5G7aKZ

Best
    Martin

19. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Vinyl is 1 mm thick and extremely flexible.

Leather can be shaved thin, depending on the type, but in order to keep the hair on it has to be tanned much thicker, guessing 3-4mm, so it's not as flexible and there is hair on one side that stands up when you bend it.

To cover certain interior trim pieces, the leather has to be wrapped over the edge and glued to the back of said trim piece.

You savvy?

20. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I think Russ gets it by now - most of you think this is a dumb idea. Now that that is out of the way...

I don't know a lot about upholstery, but I think it may be a good idea to try doing this with scrap hides like someone else said. Think of it as a feasibility test. If it seems like it will work, then do the real thing.

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    This has to be a total joke

22. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #47 peterp, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Agreed. Using zebra skin is not to my taste, to say the least, and it if was an otherwise original car, I probably couldn't resist the temptation to pile onto the internet equivalent of an angry mob showing up at his doorstep with torches and pitchforks, but this is a highly modded car that will never be put back to stock. I suspect that part of the goal of the car is to be outrageous, so there is no point or value in discussing the aesthetics or the appropriateness of it -- besides, everyone already knows that leopard skin is the default "go to" Ferrari hide. He gets that, and I'm certain he knew zebra wasn't to most people's taste long before he posted the question. The question itself is completely legit because the skin is thicker and different and hairier than leather and other materials commonly used in interiors. I wish I had some advice to offer, but I have no experience in this area. I did watch "Racing Stripes" about 17 times with my son when he was very young, but I did not garner any relevant information from that experience, quite possibly because, IIRC, it seemed to be a different set of circumstances for that zebra. I did stay at a Holiday Inn once, but that turned out to be quite a disappointment -- both overall, and especially in terms of enlightenment. I do agree with Jack that comments should be limited to technical help. There are few things more frustrating to post a legit (if controversial) question and to have all of the answers be unrelated to the specific question posed.

23. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    By the way I had a zebra skin chair (I know, it was the 80's) and it was made with a fake zebra skin that at the time was avaiable at fabric stores, It was thin like material and had the fur on one side. Very easy to sew and conform to weird curves.

Just an idea

24. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I think self-shot zebra will be perfect for this frankencar. Suits it and owner to a T. Best of luck with figuring it out. The seller of this car just adds to the awesomeness of the situation.

25. lawrence 1

lawrence 1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2007
    It is very rare to find any exotic custom interiors on F cars. I do have a radical 308 interior on mine. I have not known of any others, If so I would like to know.
    I think it would be difficult to use the Zebra in a manner that would look reasonable and be able to hold up. Maybe as a small accent you could get it to work. But dude that will be a wild look. If you got the Balls to do it Lets see some pics.
    Best of Luck on finding someone that can do the job right