Maseratis in 2017 Monterey auctions | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Maseratis in 2017 Monterey auctions

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thecarnut, Jul 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr. K.

Dr. K. Karting

Mar 23, 2011
    Hi all,

I just want to let all know, who are interested in Mecum Lot S48 (crashed J. Geils Maserati Sebring S2), that the gearbox mentioned in the catalogue in NOT a ZF S5-20.

It´s a Tremec 5-speed gearbox.

A friend inspected the lot and confirmed.

Keep that in mind when calculating....

Dr. K.

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all,

So both Khamsins in the Bonhams auction sold for the same amount a very proper price in a weekend that is turning out market correct so far. It was worth me following live till 4am here in France last night:)

Bonhams : Quail Lodge Auction

1224 found a very good home in the US not sure where 210 is headed yet.

It felt good to go through this because 10 years ago I sat up all night in Geneva when my baby 1242 was in the last ever Christie's car auction, at Pebble, when I had not wanted to sell it but had no choice and it...did not sell a double sour taste in my mouth at 6am in Geneva (9 hours ahead of California) hearing a friend in Monterey on the phone say so...I sold it 2 months later though.

So this since I had entered 1224 in this auction for a client and friend felt like payback, yohoo:)

A good Sunday to all,

MS

3. Dr. K.

Dr. K. Karting

Mar 23, 2011
    The J. Geils Sebring just sold for 80.000,---$ netto!

4. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    FYI

1974 Maserati BORA 4.9 USA model
    Sold $187,000 USD

EST. PRICE $175K-$225K USD

EXTERIOR Rame Metallizzato
    RM Sotheby's
    INTERIOR Bone
    Lot 266 Monterey

CHASSIS Nº AM117/49-US 766
    August 20, 2017 12:43AM (EST)

Regards.

5. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Fair result for a driver level Bora.

6. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    looking at the Mecum results from Monterey 2017 most cars failed to meet their estimates! Either cars are not appreciating as much as people hoped/expected or they are systematically over-estimating. I wouldn't think it would take long for the world to catch on if they were always over estimating... I do not watch the auctions that closely.

A couple of comparisons:
    1988 Porsche 911 cabriolet, 88,600 mi $31,000
    1989* Porsche Turbo cabriolet, 1,322 mi, $220,000 (not sold, Est. $275,000 - 350,000)

seriously, I think a 1989 bi turbo should be somewhere in between those two...

*I did a little digging and was unable to come up with a production number for the 1989 turbo cabriolet! According to the sources I found, there were none. They were produced in 1990, 2067 were brought to the USA a number 10x that of the Maserati.
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-303128/1989-porsche-911-turbo-cabriolet/

maybe someday my collection will attain a little interest.

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello,

Please don't discuss Stuttgart Porkie pies in the Maserati section, I have owned four of them, front engined but this is off topic:)

As you state you don't follow the auctions that closely...well Mecum is very much second tier (see the comments about how their auctioneers speak as in cattle auction elsewhere in fchat. Looking at Bonhams, Gooding and RM Sothebys they did quite well better than most experts -of which I don't claim to be- expected) It is clear the market slowed down after a couple of crazy years as we already saw last year but this Monterey week was not bad the market is more reasonable but a lot of cars sold quite decently so a lot of the speculators have left the scene with their tail between their legs but you can still work decently within a framework of more realistic prices.

I am traveling to three countries here in Europe within the next week to meet with clients and inspect cars so as long as people are realistic there is movement, deals are made. Those who play Ostrich are left to their own devices until they smell the coffee.

Best regards,

Marc

8. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Any thoughts on what happened to the Shamal at Bonhams? It did not even get one bid to be put into the market.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Maserati Shamal Gandini ZAM339B00MA300060 1990 2 by John Wiley, on Flickr

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    There were zero bids because almost no one in the US is familiar with this model which was never imported officially, there were just a handful of private imports, plus it is not the prettiest, a bit stubby so no bids had I known I could have gotten some friends to bid but 20/20 hindsight is easy...the car is still available but at about $80K.
    It really needs to be shipped by the owner to Europe and marketed there.

Best regards,

Marc

10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah I heard about this one the next morning. However ... had one started bidding @ $20k mysterious chandelier bids would have started occurring. So the idea that anyone would have paid $20K + the 25% BUYERS PREMIUM! and been able to actually purchase one for $25K is probably unrealistic. Ask me how I know this ... The 25% absolutely floors me. But that's what it says on their website.

The car needed "some work". It was a museum sitter for a VERY LONG TIME and strangely the paint has a lot of light scratches. The headliner is also sagging. Must be other issues as well. Still, the specter of one for that price is tantalizing.