IPOD cable hot all the time? | FerrariChat

IPOD cable hot all the time?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dc3843, Aug 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dc3843

dc3843 Karting

Dec 13, 2014
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    David Conrad
    So I'm loving my 2011 458. Like, really love it. I bought an iPod to sit in the car full time, when I got it I plugged it in without starting the car. I noticed it started charging which was weird, but figured after I shut the door it wouldn't. I drove down to SAN Antonio, went to eat for about 45 mins. Came out and started the car and was met with all the warning and failure lights you can Imagine. Car was telling me to visit dealer. So I looked up the warnings on here and saw that they all stem from a low voltage condition. Assuming it was the iPod i turned the car off unplugged the iPod, waited 60 second and restarted. All is good. I took the car to boardwalk, they looked at it and verified its hot but said it turns off after a while. I haven't see this behavior. For me it's on always. Anyone else experience this? How did you fix it?

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The current to my iPod cable times out after a while. It starts up again when I open a door, so I would guess there is a timer relay in the door light circuit. If yours stays hot all the time, the relay is probably defective.

The timer is somewhat annoying in that it times out even when the car is connected to a battery tender. As a result, if you leave the iPod in the car, the iPod battery goes flat. But that's better than draining the car battery when parked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Get rid of the Ipod !

You can load 7 dvd's or load all to the harddrive. Far better than current/battery problems imo.

Do you know how to operate your media system ?

4. dc3843

dc3843 Karting

Dec 13, 2014
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    David Conrad
    I'm still learning all that. I guess I'll have to burn a bunch of cds to the hard drive

5. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Try a new cable, perhaps. My ipad and iphone ones always got hot while charging when they'd developed a short at the device end and wouldn't charge sufficiently, and were about to fail to not charging at all.

6. Gb78460

Gb78460 Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    BIGOT
    Hello
    I have to change the ipod cable of my 458 because the 30 pin connector is broken
    What if you can tell me where is the box to connect the ipod cable
    where in the dashboard
    what parts should be dismantled
    thank you